PDA

View Full Version : factory hopup kit

dreth
02-13-2004, 11:16 AM
have you tried or know anyone who has? how much difference does it make

2004TRX450R
02-13-2004, 08:02 PM
I have the HRC kit on my bike and it made a big difference. It ran neck and neck with a YFZ with a full HMF exhaust system on it.

Blown 331
02-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Huge difference and totally worth the money. It's a must have.

Varmit57
02-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Blown 331
Huge difference and totally worth the money. It's a must have. Sorry but I don't total agree.
Yes it makes a huge diffrence but No its not worth the money.

Expecilly if you plan to change the Pipe anyway.

You can get aftermarket cams for $135+ and the Jets are $3.

The new snorkel is a joke & all they did was cut a hole in the airbox lid.

So unless you guys are getting them for around $140, I think that you can do better elseware.

I do applaude Honda for atleast offering somthing!

Just my 2 cents worth :)

rtyfz450
02-14-2004, 02:55 PM
I agree with varmit

I would say that it is worth it if you don't plan to get an exhuast and/or it comes installed on the bike free. Not saying it is a waste but for the parts I would just buy a new exhuast and a cam for some other company that I like the looks of and then you are also loosing the weight of the stock exhuast and if you have one you know that thing is HUGE! If you like keeping your bike all honda then I guess this is the best option.

H_W
02-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Varmit57

You can get aftermarket cams for $135+ and the Jets are $3.

Yes, you can get aftermarket cams for about $135, but you will not get a HRC cam for that. Some will argue that the HRC cam is the best cam you can buy. It is expensive though. I think the HRC cam for a 400ex is about $280 or so. Now having said that, I would be just as happy with a hotcam for about $139 or so.

Varmit57
02-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by H_W
Yes, you can get aftermarket cams for about $135, but you will not get a HRC cam for that. Some will argue that the HRC cam is the best cam you can buy. If you spec the HRC cam and the Stage 1 from HotCams they are nearly the same. The HRC is a bit taller but less duration. That sould mean a bit more low end torque from the HotCam...

Also you have to know that the HRC cam was designed to be sold across the board to all kinds of riders, where as the HotCams are specificly designed racing. That is also why they offer 2 diffrent cams.

quadrcr161
02-14-2004, 05:36 PM
i got it because im waiting to find out which exhaust is the besta nd whats been tested. i have a few friends that got the curtis sparks for their yfz and then raced it and it got beat up really bad. sparks had to change the design on theirs and probally on production. plus im waiting on what they do with the sound limits at the nationals. hopefully i should have mine installed soon and feel the difference.

4FIDDYRHRC
02-14-2004, 05:37 PM
as far as the first thread.. i was running neck and neck with a yfz today that had gytr exaust and jetting.. and all i did was remove my baffle!! hmmmm :eek:

twisted threads
02-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 4FIDDYRHRC
as far as the first thread.. i was running neck and neck with a yfz today that had gytr exaust and jetting.. and all i did was remove my baffle!! hmmmm :eek:
BUT ATV ACTION SAID THAT THE HONDA WAS SLOW!:rolleyes: ;)

Did you half to rejet your bike after you removed the baffle?

4FIDDYRHRC
02-14-2004, 09:08 PM
No i did not rejet for just a baffle removal.. it warmed up so it seemed to run just fine. well it ran better than without the choker. it toned it up too.. but it was not too loud it sounded ok to me and my buds.. and who do you think payed atv action more money$$$$$???

2004TRX450R
02-15-2004, 12:19 AM
One nice thing about the HRC kit is that you dont' have to screw with getting the jetting right. They give you a new needle that will work with the new kit. Also the HRC stuff is probably some of the better stuff you can get. Honda built the engine and they know how to make it faster. Plus the quality of the parts is up to par for factory stuff wich is 90% of the time way better than the aftermarket stuff. With mine with the HRC kit installed I race my friend that has YFZ with a full HMF exhaust system and they were both neck and neck. Pretty much a dead even race. The catch is I weigh about 230 and he weighs about 160. I'd be willing to bet that full HMF system was more than $300 too. Not that I paid that much for the HRC kit but $ for $ I'm still ahead of him!