PDA

View Full Version : Puzzling exhaust stud leak??

Glamis400ex
02-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Hi guys,

I got back from Glamis a few days ago, and was outside just about to clean her up when I noticed what seemed to be a small oil leak at the exhaust stud nut, right in front of the plug.

I removed all the plastic and heat shield to get a better look. This what I saw: The rocker cover is tight, no leak, but looking at the exhaust stud, it's covered in oil and now sand is stuck to it. The head gasket is completely 100% tight...no leaks. Is it possible that that nut backed off a 1/2 turn or so? I got out my torque wrench and set it at 30 ft. lbs. it turned like 1/3rd turn then popped. I then set the torque wrench to 32 and it popped without turning the nut.

I do have the FDO Racing HD stud kit and all seems to be tight. AGAIN, the head gasket is 100% tight, no breech, but the nut in front of the plug has oil on it.

I didn't do any damage by tightening a 1/3rd turn did I?

Any help...

Glamis

Glamis400ex
02-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Anybody...know how I got oil there??

Glamis

K_Fulk
02-13-2004, 01:30 AM
Is it maybe coming out one of the allen bolts that you need to take out to get the rockers off?

Glamis400ex
02-13-2004, 06:06 AM
K-Fulk,

No, it doesn't appear that those allen bolts are leaking. If that was allen bolt was leaking, it would have a thin coat of oil on it with sand stuck to it. The oil is concentrated actually on that nut. Could oil be travelling up the threads on the stud and out the top of that nut??? Weird, I know.

It's not alot but enough to make a mess and I know it shouldn't do that.

Glamis

MIKE400EX
02-13-2004, 06:56 AM
Alin,
The hole for the exhaust stud is blind so there should be no way oil could seap along those threads from the inside. Possibly there was a small amount of exhaust leaking there and the sand stuck to the residue? Maybe it was the knuckle head that drilled the hole in the cover for the oil line!!!!
How did the oil cooler work?

Glamis400ex
02-13-2004, 05:59 PM
The oil cooler works like a charm Mike.

I'm stumped on how that oil got there. It got there only 1 way, that's what I need to figure out.

Could an exhaust leak have liquid in it and travel up a little into that pocket??? Seems like it would go down not up???

Glamis

MIKE400EX
02-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Alin, are you talking about oil on one of the stud nuts that holds the exhaust pipe flange, or the front center head stud nut?

Glamis400ex
02-13-2004, 10:45 PM
The head stud nut right in front of the spark plug. That nut is covered in oil.

I may give the nuts that hold the exhaust pipe on a little twist.

Glamis