PDA

View Full Version : Which color powdercoat?

WKY400EX
02-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Within the next week, I'll be taking my frame & subframe to get them powdercoated. I just don't know what color I should get. What are your suggestions?

I don't have any recent pics that would show what my bike looks like, plus it's stripped down right now. Here is a description of the parts on my EX:

A-arms: red Laeger
Swingarm: gray Walsh
Shockwears: black
Bar pad: black
Plastic: race-cut stock red & black w/black hood & black seat
Nerf bar nets: red

Now, if you can imagine what it looks like, suggest me some colors that would look good on my frame & subframe. I was kind of thinking silvervein, but I don't know. Thanks.

Tommy 17
02-12-2004, 06:30 PM
i'd say a black or red frame

rap169
02-12-2004, 07:21 PM
silvervein or charcoal metallic

Sick0
02-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Yah I would go with some kinda of black or red.

WKY400EX
02-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Does anyone have a similar setup to mine? If so, please post pics. Thanks.

K_Fulk
02-13-2004, 03:59 PM
I guess mine was kind of similar. When i had my stock swingarm on last winter. Didnt have the hood yet though.

Pappy
02-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Red on Red looks killer in person. and although you might get ribbed, red frame and yellow fenders looks mighty fine also

WKY400EX
02-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Sharp bike K_Fulk.:) Is there a dark gray or silver out there that would look good? I'm kind of leaning toward a darker color frame for some reason?

Also, Pappy, can you give any tips or hints to do before/after my powdercoat gets done? I've heard leave the bolts in to prevent threads getting coated, etc. Any input you can give is appreciated. Thanks.

K_Fulk
02-13-2004, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the compliment, you should see it when i get it back together though.
Black Chrome looks pretty sharp. For a darker color.

The guy I have do my bigger stuff close to me runs taps through all the bolt holes to clean them out.

By the way pappy I showed the guy that does my other stuff the a-arms you did for me and he thought you did a pretty good job. Its not very often I hear him compliment other peoples work.

Pappy
02-14-2004, 07:11 AM
do not leave the bolts you will use for re assembly in the frame!! a coater should handle plugging of bolt holes, but make sure they mask off the stem bearing area!!!

K_fulk: thanks for the compliment. ive been beating myself silly over these trans colors and think ive finally figured out a procedure that offers me consistant results on each part. i routinely take parts by 2 different commercial coaters to get thier opinions on my work. it helps me do better!!!

as far as after the frame is done. think about what your doing ahead of actually installing a part. use a towel or rags on the frame when installing the engine etc. do not over torque bolts and use washers where needed. on a solid color there is alot of leeway with regards to how carefull you need to be with the coating. the fancier the color usually the higher risk of a damaging mistake. just take your time.

and i highly recommend using simple green only and if a pressure washer is used dont allow it to get really close to any powdercoated surface. my brother just took the pc off his new truck bumper he got for x-mas with a pressure washer:(

rap169
02-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Sharp bike K_Fulk. Is there a dark gray or silver out there that would look good? I'm kind of leaning toward a darker color frame for some reason?

Charcoal metallic silver. That is a sweet color.