PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem

killed300ex
02-12-2004, 05:46 PM
My computer crashed this last weekend and i just got it back up and running. MY problem is that when it went into be fixed they just took the tower and it changed the moitor settings. I have a high resolution monitor takes 256 color. When it got worked on it ajusted itself to a 16 color monitor and now when i try ot change it back it wont let me change it back to 256 colors in the settings in my computer it lets me select it from the drop down menue but then it wont let the option stay i click on 256 and then it closes the menue and 16 shows up again. Anyone know what is wrong. And how to fix it
killed

killed300ex
02-12-2004, 05:55 PM
its windows 98 and i already tried reinstalling the drivers didnt make any differance. Its getting my really pissed off cause i can barly read any posts my graphics are so bad and i refuse to go back and have them fix it for like 70 an hour lol
killed

02-12-2004, 07:01 PM
time for a new computer...give that one the old boot off the back porch

Guy400
02-12-2004, 07:04 PM
If I'm understanding this correctly you took your computer to some place to have them fix it and when you got it back it stays on 16 color? Why don't you take it back? They should rectify the situation for free because the computer was never actually fixed.

pbarr86
02-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Sounds like it could be the wrong video drivers to me.

spliffy
02-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by pbarr86
Sounds like it could be the wrong video drivers to me.

Exactly.....

Striker49
02-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Sounds like what they said, bad vid drivers.
Im surprised yer computer even has a 16 color option. 256 is extremely low as is. I figured yer computer should run around 16-bit.
Also, if you have access to another monitor...hook it up and see if you are encountering the same problem.
Seems really odd thats happenin.

Found some troubleshooting help that may relate to yer problem.
I doubt this will help in any way but its all I can think of...

Display Is Limited to 16 Colors After Upgrading to Windows 2000

SYMPTOMS
After you install Windows 2000, your display may be limited to 16 colors and 640 X 480 resolution. In addition, the properties of Display adapter in Device Manager will have a yellow exclamation mark (!) and a Code 10 with the following status:
The device cannot start. (Code 10).

CAUSE
This may occur if you have a display adapter that uses the NVIDIA chip set and the basic input/output system (BIOS) on your computer does not have an interrupt request (IRQ) assigned for the display adapter.

RESOLUTION
Select the option to Assign IRQ to VGA in your motherboard's BIOS. If this setting is not available, you need to contact the manufacturer of the motherboard to determine how to select an interrupt to the video card.

MORE INFORMATION
For additional information regarding this setting and your motherboard's BIOS, please refer to your motherboard documentation or contact the manufacturer of your motherboard.