PDA

View Full Version : I cant believe Im hearing this.......

QuadJunkies
02-12-2004, 05:09 PM
I just got word today that I have two bent Shift Forks:eek: and 4 gears torn up in my 400ex!!!:eek2: :( :huh I have NEVER heard this being an issue in an EX before........Anyone have this happen ? I ALWAYS use my clutch(well, maybe mis shift on Accident a time or two). Thank God I have an Ext. Warrenty thats paying for every dime but my overnight shipping to have it in time for my next race.........

INFANTRY RACING
02-12-2004, 05:35 PM
you gotta watch dealers when it gets down to trannys cause a small problem somehow becomes big. make sure they show you the parts. i'd never trust a dealer. they'll get you for everything you got and then some:(

QuadJunkies
02-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING
you gotta watch dealers when it gets down to trannys cause a small problem somehow becomes big. make sure they show you the parts. i'd never trust a dealer. they'll get you for everything you got and then some:( thanks for the forwarning;) I know these guys personally and yeah they will save the parts to see.

2001400ex
02-12-2004, 05:39 PM
If you don't mind me asking...how much is it costing you just for the labor and the price of all the new parts? I have a terrible feeling the same thing is going to happen to me, but I think I might do it myself...

TT 400ex
02-12-2004, 05:40 PM
yea it just happened to me 2 shift forks and 3rd and 4th gear..3rd gear is a week point in the tranny. and i have no warrenty.

QuadJunkies
02-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
If you don't mind me asking...how much is it costing you just for the labor and the price of all the new parts? I have a terrible feeling the same thing is going to happen to me, but I think I might do it myself... it didnt cost me one sinlge penny for ANY of it.. Just the shipping to have it overnighted that was as per my request though, so I know its done in time for my races.... I guess having the 1st gear go out it shot threw the others as well(or something like that) I bought a warrenty as I do with all our quads,so even Labor was covered......WOW., I thought I was about the only person to have an EX do this:huh even my dealer said they hadnt seen this happen before......

QuadJunkies
02-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by TT 400ex
yea it just happened to me 2 shift forks and 3rd and 4th gear..3rd gear is a week point in the tranny. and i have no warrenty. Im sorry to hear that..:(

crashinmatt
02-12-2004, 06:00 PM
during the middle of last summer, i blew out 2nd gear, and it took out 3rd gear. everything else was good in mine. it happened right after a holeshot in a race. i havent really heard too much about 400ex trannys besides that and a buddy who also blew out 2nd, but it didnt hurt any if the others.

2001400ex
02-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
it didnt cost me one sinlge penny for ANY of it.. Just the shipping to have it overnighted that was as per my request though, so I know its done in time for my races.... I guess having the 1st gear go out it shot threw the others as well(or something like that) I bought a warrenty as I do with all our quads,so even Labor was covered......WOW., I thought I was about the only person to have an EX do this:huh even my dealer said they hadnt seen this happen before......

Since I'm not very acquainted with warranty's my question is...will I be able to get a warranty from my Honda dealer if I go this weekend and get like a six-month warranty? Then say in a few months my transmission and my clutch go, will Honda pay for all of this since my quad is under warranty? I've been noticing something really fishy going on with my clutch/trans...when I really get on it and ride hard my quad will shift itself into neutral and I hear a clunking noise coming from my engine when my RPM's go down, it only does it occasionally though. Not all the time. I'm guessing this is the quad preventing itself from blowing up my trans. I don't really know, I think I may have a bent shift fork(s) or stripped gears or something, but what I'm asking is, can I purchase a warranty? I bought my 400 used in June or July. With no warranty as none was offered to me nor available. Or will I have to bite the bullet and get it all rebuilt?

QuadJunkies
02-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
Since I'm not very acquainted with warranty's my question is...will I be able to get a warranty from my Honda dealer if I go this weekend and get like a six-month warranty? Then say in a few months my transmission and my clutch go, will Honda pay for all of this since my quad is under warranty? I've been noticing something really fishy going on with my clutch/trans...when I really get on it and ride hard my quad will shift itself into neutral and I hear a clunking noise coming from my engine, I'm guessing this is the quad preventing itself from blowing up my trans. I don't really know, I think I may have a bent shift fork(s) or stripped gears or something, but what I'm asking is, can I purchase a warranty? I bought my 400 used in June or July. With no warranty as none was offered to me nor available. Or will I have to bite the bullet and get it all rebuilt? this is some thing you buy when you buy it new, Im not ure how it works,if at all if you dont buy it when you sign all your poapers when you go go buy it.....:confused: you my friend have the smae issue I had. Mine popped into neutral and alot of clunking noise and rattling. To have it fixed Im guessing around 500.00-800.00:eek: threw a dealer.....Do you know ANYONE that is mechanically inclined that could help you out? My warrenty was 400.00 for a 4 year warrenty. It just pd itself off.....;)

AtvMxRider
02-12-2004, 06:20 PM
this is some thing you buy when you buy it new, Im not ure how it works,if at all if you dont buy it when you sign all your poapers when you go go buy it.....:confused: you my friend have the smae issue I had. Mine popped into neutral and alot of clunking noise and rattling. To have it fixed Im guessing around 500.00-800.00:eek: threw a dealer.....Do you know ANYONE that is mechanically inclined that could help you out? My warrenty was 400.00 for a 4 year warrenty. It just pd itself off.....;)

Hooked on phonics would do you a world of good...........:devil:

2001400ex
02-12-2004, 06:21 PM
I'm preety mechanically educated when it comes to small engines, I just could use a little education on clutches and transmissions. This is bad news...I do know a lot of guys that are mechanically enclined besides myself, my dad's friend's friend has a 400ex that he races that knows his 400 very well. My friend sucked in a valve on his 300 and the guy is rebuilding it for him. I can get the parts and I am fairly confident that I can install the parts myself, but if worst comes to worst I guess I can give it to this guy who races his 400. I just wonder how much this is going to cost me for the parts, no labor...ugh...thanks for the info though QJ:o

QuadJunkies
02-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Hooked on phonics would do you a world of good...........:devil: :o me whoopin your *** who do a world of good too:eek: :p http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/boxer.gif

AtvMxRider
02-12-2004, 06:37 PM
:o me whoopin your *** who do a world of good too:eek: :p http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/boxer.gif http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/atvmxrider/ava+slapin.gif

QuadJunkies
02-12-2004, 06:40 PM
hahaha....... I kinda like that lil purple guy^^^^^

AtvMxRider
02-12-2004, 06:41 PM
hahaha....... I kinda like that lil purple guy^^^^^

HEHEHE I bet you do............. ;)

Michael18
02-12-2004, 09:25 PM
I know of 5 or 6 400ex's that have had to have the tranny fixed in them it was more the earlier years of them they have a weak 2nd and 3rd gear and if they go the usually take out alot. it was prolly good that you caught it when you did, and not had one completely come apart and get the cases too, thats what happened to a buddy of mine. but all the ones that i know of have been rode hard and raced for a couple of years.

QuadJunkies
02-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Michael18
I know of 5 or 6 400ex's that have had to have the tranny fixed in them it was more the earlier years of them they have a weak 2nd and 3rd gear and if they go the usually take out alot. it was prolly good that you caught it when you did, and not had one completely come apart and get the cases too, thats what happened to a buddy of mine. but all the ones that i know of have been rode hard and raced for a couple of years. WOW. this just TOTALLY surprises me........:huh I have NEVER read of Tranny issueswith an EX before. Mine is a 2002 model, I reckon that one gear started to go then it took out three more letting it go for so long,(my ole man thought I was full of chit when I told him something was wrong:o he said NOT A HONDA)well had I had it checked a LONG TIME ago, maybe not all 4 would have to be replaced. I wonder what would have caused it?????:confused:

Jay300ex
02-12-2004, 10:50 PM
WOW. this just TOTALLY surprises me........:huh I have NEVER read of Tranny issueswith an EX before. Mine is a 2002 model, I reckon that one gear started to go then it took out three more letting it go for so long,(my ole man thought I was full of chit when I told him something was wrong:o he said NOT A HONDA)well had I had it checked a LONG TIME ago, maybe not all 4 would have to be replaced. I wonder what would have caused it?????:confused:

Generally trannys are pretty bulletproof unless there is a recall on a part. But I don't think there are any for the 02 400ex like that. Forks are usually the weak spot in the tranny, the tips of them can break and get caught in the gears and rip them to shreds.

This is why I change my oil all the time because if you run oil for to long the stress caused by tranny gears causes the oil the break down and oxidize which corrodes and weakens the parts. Not good.

QuadJunkies
02-12-2004, 11:05 PM
I think we change our oil more than anyone I know! We ride a TON so we tend to change it alot, I think we do the EX after 30-40 hours of riding depending how hard the riding and what type and the Predator has to have it every 10 hours:)

seven
02-13-2004, 05:52 AM
You changed your oil to much ! I like to wait and keeep the oil in it for long periods of time so the gears stick together better. You change the oil all the time and they just slide off each other then they start slipping and pretty soon you are misssing teeth.
Jut kidding

dhines
02-13-2004, 06:29 AM
I have personally rebuilt 4 or 5 bottom ends on our various race machines due to 2nd gear failures and know of many more. One or two seasons of hard cross country racing is about all it can usually handle before it blows up. You will hear it start knocking before it completely fails as the teeth start coming off of it and quickly thereafter it will break and usually kill the engine. The biggest thing is to not try and start it back up. If you do you will almost always cause more damage.

While we have never lost 3rd gear, I have usually noted some wear on it and will typically replace it while I'm in there.

My old man blew his 2nd gear up before the 2003 GNCC season and kept trying to restart it to get it back to the house - ended up costing him 3rd and 5th gears too...

Admin
02-13-2004, 07:14 AM
Yup, I lost my 2nd gear also on my 400EX after one year of racing. Also the Shift forks were wore and needed to be replaced. I have heard of several people having shift fork problems over the years with 400EX trannies.

300exOH
02-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
Yup, I lost my 2nd gear also on my 400EX after one year of racing. Also the Shift forks were wore and needed to be replaced. I have heard of several people having shift fork problems over the years with 400EX trannies.

Yep. 250x's and 300ex's too

QuadJunkies
02-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by seven
You changed your oil to much ! I like to wait and keeep the oil in it for long periods of time so the gears stick together better. You change the oil all the time and they just slide off each other then they start slipping and pretty soon you are misssing teeth.
Jut kidding LOL!!!!! Smarty pants........:D Ill see you tomorrow at Hemmigway........:)

QuadJunkies
02-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
Yup, I lost my 2nd gear also on my 400EX after one year of racing. Also the Shift forks were wore and needed to be replaced. I have heard of several people having shift fork problems over the years with 400EX trannies. :eek: Boy have I learned ALOT about the 400ex these past few weeks. Thanks for al lthe responses makes me fell better (well sorta) that mine wasnt the only one with issues.. Im so surprised I havent read more about this here though........:confused:

QuadJunkies
02-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by dhines
I have personally rebuilt 4 or 5 bottom ends on our various race machines due to 2nd gear failures and know of many more. One or two seasons of hard cross country racing is about all it can usually handle before it blows up. You will hear it start knocking before it completely fails as the teeth start coming off of it and quickly thereafter it will break and usually kill the engine. The biggest thing is to not try and start it back up. If you do you will almost always cause more damage.

While we have never lost 3rd gear, I have usually noted some wear on it and will typically replace it while I'm in there.

My old man blew his 2nd gear up before the 2003 GNCC season and kept trying to restart it to get it back to the house - ended up costing him 3rd and 5th gears too... I think this is where I ended up having to replace all but one gear too:rolleyes: , This first initially started about a year sgo, Honsetly at first, I did think a few were maybe just a misshift, but as time went on, I kept telling Troy that I felt something wasnt right.....:( Guess I wasnt wrong........It will be up and running by Mon.

Jay300ex
02-13-2004, 10:24 AM
QJ - What type of oil do you use in your EX?

QuadJunkies
02-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Jay300ex
QJ - What type of oil do you use in your EX? WEll NOW I use Castrol GPS for now until I decide if I like it or not,but I used to use Honda HP4 and was very happy with it, but I had to switch since Im Bored over now......;)

Jay300ex
02-14-2004, 10:46 AM
WEll NOW I use Castrol GPS for now until I decide if I like it or not,but I used to use Honda HP4 and was very happy with it, but I had to switch since Im Bored over now......;)

Ok. I was going to let you know if you still used Honda oils that they arn't great oils unless you change them after like... hmm 5 hours about. I did a paper about oils and lubricants this year and I learned A LOT about oils that would make you think. The biggest one, is that Honda oils pretty much suck unless you are JUST using them for racing applications and are changed a lot. They have a high evaporative loss and have low anti wear and anti corrosion additives.

Just a FYI :)

Mobil 1 Tri Synthetic seems to do the job very nicely though.

bigredfan
02-14-2004, 11:10 AM
hey guys maybe ya'lls problems with 2nd gear forks is due to over excessive use of this one gear.If you changed your gearing it would probly move the damage to other gears. just a thought.One other question do all of you use your clutch to shift wot?just wondering.Which oils have the best thermal breakdowns?this would determine the best oil.:blah: :blah: :blah:

2001400ex
02-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Jay300ex
Ok. I was going to let you know if you still used Honda oils that they arn't great oils unless you change them after like... hmm 5 hours about. I did a paper about oils and lubricants this year and I learned A LOT about oils that would make you think. The biggest one, is that Honda oils pretty much suck unless you are JUST using them for racing applications and are changed a lot. They have a high evaporative loss and have low anti wear and anti corrosion additives.

Just a FYI :)

Mobil 1 Tri Synthetic seems to do the job very nicely though.

Thanks for the info, I was going to use Honda oils but now I'm not, looks like I'll be doing an oil change soon to get rid of the Honda oil I have in it now...

QuadJunkies
02-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by bigredfan
hey guys maybe ya'lls problems with 2nd gear forks is due to over excessive use of this one gear.If you changed your gearing it would probly move the damage to other gears. just a thought.One other question do all of you use your clutch to shift wot?just wondering.Which oils have the best thermal breakdowns?this would determine the best oil.:blah: :blah: :blah: Yes I sue it I mentioned it in the beginning of the thread;) . I KNOw what that will do.....:o I have always ran the same gearing I droppped a tooth from the very start......