PDA

View Full Version : Cam removal question

Max400
02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm removing cam and piston and have a question. When I'm taking my cam out does it matter if I'm at TDC when I remove the cam or does it only matter when you are putting the cam back in? and at TDC the cam lobes are down right?
Thanks for any help I'm putting in a new hotcam and piston (416) can't wait to get it done and check it out:D

Doibugu2
02-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Get yourself a manual. It walks you through it.

Cam lobes can be either way, but is much easier down to install because they are not setting on the rockers.

Max400
02-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Got one. but its is kinda vague about cam lobes up or down. I was just wanting to be 100% sure. will the cam chain come off of the gear in the motor? so it dosen't really matter if it comes off as long as you don't drop it inside right? it only matter if it is TDC and the poistion of the cam when putting it back togather, Right?

Max400
02-12-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm taking it out right now and just wondered if it matter now what position they were in while taking it apart and taking the piston out. thanks for the help:D

Doibugu2
02-12-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm not postive cause I don't have my book in front of me, but I do believe you want it at TDC because otherwise the rockers will have pressure on the cam.

It takes about 2 seconds to put it there. So be safe and put it there.

Max400
02-12-2004, 05:14 PM
It was at TDC center when I took the valve cover off, but I have turned the crank over a couple of times just looking at the cam. I'm going back out to remove the cam now:)

UglyMotha™
02-12-2004, 09:53 PM
it doesn't matter where the motor is setting as long as you put it at tdc at assembly of the cam chain

Max400
02-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks Ugly I was just making sure that I did it right. I just got in from the shop and it is all out:D It was easier than I thought. Know just got to take it to have it bored tomorrow and get it back together!

Doibugu2, Thanks for the replies

:cool: I'll be asking more questions soon!