PDA

View Full Version : cross-countryracing and setup tips please

mikecole
02-12-2004, 04:01 PM
help i need some tips i am going to race 3 gncc's races this year and a full season next year can you all help me out a little bit on setting up my quad and some smart racing tips. all help will be appreciated

Matt756
02-12-2004, 04:07 PM
here are some things u need skids handgaurds tires theres a few

ILGNCC400EX
02-12-2004, 06:02 PM
never go the way that the guy holden the beer an viedo camera is pointing

5valves
02-12-2004, 07:31 PM
I was across the track from the guys in texas on the last big hill after I didnt finish.
I think they did a great job of maken a new line.
Although like I told the guy standen next to me. Its kinda hard to change lines 3/4 of the way up the hill.
There were some great passes made at that rock ledge though.
Best tip I can give you is be in great shape, and make your quad bullet proof. 6 ply tires and good wheels, and skids. Be steady and finish.
It will be a good learning experience.

Good Luck

Kilabanshee
02-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Another thing since in most hairescrambles you not hitting the high gears try to drop the front sprocket down 1 tooth to give you alot more acceleration in those turns. Yeah get some hypers or beadlocks cause other rims tend to bend pretty easy without you knowing it. Last make sure your airbox lid is closed and you have a precharged on your airfilter.

Braff1
02-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
never go the way that the guy holden the beer an viedo camera is pointing

Especially at Crawfordsville.

6 ply tires
good skids
good shocks
then progress from there

bradley300
02-13-2004, 09:52 AM
if your just starting out and dont want to spend a lot of money, dont worry about wheels/ tires/ shocks.

you need to drink plenty of water the week b4, and make sure your bike is in tip top shape and ready for one he11 of a beating. lube all your cables, make sure your brake pads are good, change your oil, put about 5 psi in all the tires.

also, practice your starts, and dont go all out, be conservitive and save some energy. if this is your first time ever racing a gncc/harescramble, dont aim to win, aim to finish.

good luck

Lil - Braff
02-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Okay I got a question to add to this thread.... What can you do to calm your nerves? B/c I get nervous easy.

mikecole
02-13-2004, 10:10 AM
thanks for the help so far,and yes this wull be my firt ever try at the gncc races i am going to enter 4-stroke c 16-24 or 4-stroke stock. millfield, ohio will be my first race or the john penton
and i will go from there and figure out what is next

bradley300
02-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Lil - Braff
Okay I got a question to add to this thread.... What can you do to calm your nerves? B/c I get nervous easy.

just start racing alot,. you'll calm down. i still get a little nervous at the 10 second mark

bradley300
02-13-2004, 10:36 AM
oh yeah, a few smart racing tips-

stand up as much as possible, let your legs absorb bumps, not your but, you wont wear out near as quick this way and it also seems like i go faster standing than sitting.

once you have chosen a line take it, even if you decide it is the bad line, stick with it, changing your mind at the last secong cold have you in a tree pretty quick.

dont be shy, pass everybody. dont follow someone for a lap b/c your nervous, if your obviously faster, get around them quick and move on to the next guy.

Keep your momentum up, especially going up hills or thru mud, momentum is your only friend.

if i think of anything else, i'll post. if ive said anything wrong, someone please correct it.

300exOH
02-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Also it's hard to do but try to relax your arms as often as possible to keep them from getting tired. Good luck!

Braff1
02-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Keep reminding yourself not to put the death grip on the handlebars. The grips are already dead, no sense in choking them. I have seen plenty of stock 400ex's out there beating the Bling, blingin quads. XC racing is more the racer than the bike. Like Brad mentioned, Go over your quad, loctite any bolts they come loose or may come loose. Make your bullet-proof!! Your goal should be to finish. The ones that break down are freebie passes.

mikecole, if this is your first race you might try the First years. This will let you get a good idea of what's happening. You will be surprised there are still some good quality local riders in the first years.

240GNCC400
02-13-2004, 02:39 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

standing in that long line for the porta pot out at the starting line will calm you down. and if that line is too long a nice quiet stroll to the nearest tree line with a 100 other racers can help!

Coach
02-13-2004, 02:47 PM
you want to make sure all of your electrical is water tight i use silicon to place around the wire where it goes into the conectors,
and use electrical grease to put into the conections. might also wire you handle grips,make sure all nuts and bolts are tight check these 2 or 3 time.there all kinds of little things to do and this little things are usually what get you.

tuner #4

VIGILANTE MAN
02-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Take a big ole crap before the race. You lose a lot of time stopping to take one during.

jja125
02-13-2004, 03:35 PM
"Take a big ole crap before the race. You lose a lot of time stopping to take one during."

i'm still waiting for that to happen to me during a race. i always figured it would at some point.:eek2:

popo
02-14-2004, 03:33 AM

Drink allot of Red Bull & Coffee. :D :D

Put your racing face and just have fun.

aparker5
02-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Get a twist throttle, get in shape (most important), dont eat right before the race.

Lil - Braff
02-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by aparker5
Get a twist throttle, get in shape (most important), dont eat right before the race.

Do NOT eat right? Why a twist? I personally don't like them but that's just me. :)

bradley300
02-16-2004, 09:59 PM
a twist is totally debateable, is has more to do with what YOU prefer,there is no performance gain w/ either.

aparker5
02-16-2004, 10:41 PM
I meant dont eat within an hour before the race because you may cramp. As far as the twist throttle goes, I previously preferred thumb throttles until I raced and realized that my hand will go numb after about an hour of riding as hard as I can. With a thumb throttle you are basically holding on with an open hand which tends to wear your forearms out sooner. I personally run a hydraulic clutch also and it makes the ride much more enjoyable. This allows one finger clutching which helps me stay in control better. Again, being in shape will be the single most important factor.

motoboy66
02-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Set it up so you don't hit any trees. They slow you down a lot>

Todd

:D