PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference

beak7707
02-12-2004, 03:53 PM
What is the difference between nickel plating and chrome? I know chrome cost more, but they look the same to me.

AndrewRRR
02-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Nickel isn't as bright usually. I believe the way something is chromed is, they dip it in an acid bath, then nickel, then chrome. That must explain the difference in cost.

beak7707
02-12-2004, 04:31 PM
That makes sence thanks. Does nickle hold up as well as chrome?

AndrewRRR
02-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
That makes sence thanks. Does nickle hold up as well as chrome?

I think so, maybe better. I've never heard of nickle peeling

lil400exman
02-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
I think so, maybe better. I've never heard of nickle peeling
nickel also handles heat better and doesnt get dicolored and has better heat retantion thats why most pipes are nickel or ceramic....:D

beak7707
02-13-2004, 01:59 PM
That doesnt make sense because burgard a-arms come free in nickle and it cost like 50-100 more to get chrome. If they look the same and nickle is more durable, why does everybody want chrome.

Greg Z
02-13-2004, 02:01 PM
so they can tell people

DIS IS CHROME PRAPP PRAPP

beak7707
02-13-2004, 02:39 PM
I think i'll just save the money!

AndrewRRR
02-14-2004, 02:12 PM
The nickle i've seen isn't as shiny or hold it's shine like chrome. Maybe it could be made to look that way, but chrome holds it's shine for a long time.

kicken250x
02-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
That doesnt make sense because burgard a-arms come free in nickle and it cost like 50-100 more to get chrome. If they look the same and nickle is more durable, why does everybody want chrome.

why does everyone want chrome? maan...aint u ever watched Ride With Funk Masta Flex? "DIS IZ BIG!! CHROME SPINNIN TWENTY-FOS!! FUNK MASTA FLEX, HOLLA ACHA BOYZ!" that right there is why everone wants chrome...because "ITS BIG!"

roostin_dale
02-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
why does everyone want chrome? maan...aint u ever watched Ride With Funk Masta Flex? "DIS IZ BIG!! CHROME SPINNIN TWENTY-FOS!! FUNK MASTA FLEX, HOLLA ACHA BOYZ!" that right there is why everone wants chrome...because "ITS BIG!"

lmao..i am watching it now...

I had nickel plated a-arms and stem..it is not as shiney but it won't rust like chrome..

kicken250x
02-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
lmao..i am watching it now...

I had nickel plated a-arms and stem..it is not as shiney but it won't rust like chrome..

haha my bro works at a rim shop and the other day he drove up in the company van, its one of those like they carry the retarded people in, it has 22" chrome 5 spoke wheels. he walks in the house "DIS IZ BIG NIGGA!!" (he is all homie untill he gets around me and we start talkin about wheelin) and he has his yankies hat on and his fubu shirt on. then he gets me to walk out there and turns on the radio and its on 102 jamz (the local rap station) it was the funniest thing i had ever seen. anyone who lives in or around central north carolina has probably seen this ugly thing haha

Mr.Offroad
02-14-2004, 08:21 PM
I have a nickel-plated Colt .45. It shines up as good as chrome, but doesn't hold the shine. You have to polish it every so often, as it's a softer metal. BUT, it don't rust!

AndrewRRR
02-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
haha my bro works at a rim shop and the other day he drove up in the company van, its one of those like they carry the retarded people in, it has 22" chrome 5 spoke wheels. he walks in the house "DIS IZ BIG NIGGA!!" (he is all homie untill he gets around me and we start talkin about wheelin) and he has his yankies hat on and his fubu shirt on. then he gets me to walk out there and turns on the radio and its on 102 jamz (the local rap station) it was the funniest thing i had ever seen. anyone who lives in or around central north carolina has probably seen this ugly thing haha

Hahaha! Damn with those dubs he must get all the retarded hoes!

310Rduner
02-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
Nickel isn't as bright usually. I believe the way something is chromed is, they dip it in an acid bath, then nickel, then chrome. That must explain the difference in cost.

BAhhh.. It's called triple plate chrome man..:o

Acid bath > Polishishing (all good $$$ chrome is polished first) > Copper plating > Nickel Plating > Chrome plating.

AndrewRRR
02-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
BAhhh.. It's called triple plate chrome man..:o

Acid bath > Polishishing (all good $$$ chrome is polished first) > Copper plating > Nickel Plating > Chrome plating.

I thought the triple plate chrome meant it was dipped in the chrome bath 3 times?
Pappy, you there? Enlighten us!

rrider250
02-17-2004, 09:32 PM
where i used to work they would also buff the copper plating. i don't know if it helped any or not.

AndrewRRR
02-17-2004, 11:22 PM
When we did my cousin's a-arms at cascade we stripped and polished them before taking them over to save the prep work cost and get a better deal. they pretty much get them looking like chrome with polishing then chrome it.