PDA

View Full Version : What color powder is the east coats yfz's

Sick0
02-12-2004, 12:40 PM
I was wondering what color powder coat that east coast used for the new yfz's. Plus what's color does yamaha use for the yz's dirts frame's. plus does any body have any samples similair to it. thanks.

CTmxyfz
02-12-2004, 01:00 PM
yz blue

02-12-2004, 04:31 PM
that makes sense huh Sicko???? :blah: jk

mxracer111
02-12-2004, 05:00 PM
the actual name of the color of many of ECA's frames is translucent blue.

they "YZ Blue" is actually called "reddish blue" when looking at powder coating samples... i have a powder coater that does a lot of work for me... we just had a yfz frame done int the reddish blue, and set it up next to a yz426... it matches spot on.

Sick0
02-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Well I was thinking it was a translucent blue but the powder coater I have said the translucent may look wierd because the sand blasting profile will show through. He says most of the translucent he had done were over chrome. This sounded wierd to me so I want to make sure the translucent will look good.

Also Columbia coating has color called reflex blue which like yamaha blue. I was woundering if anybody has uses to colors and give me a little more info or even pics. Thanks.

mxracer111
02-12-2004, 08:06 PM
i have trans. blue on my frame... it was blasted first, then a coat of silver then the trans blue, then clear... it is amazing looking.

muff
02-12-2004, 09:03 PM
yea a base coat is usually always applied before the translucent color...a light color will make the translucent look the best (obviously)

powdercoating over chrome can be done and the results are incredible...so is the price :eek2:

Sick0
02-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Well I ask him if it was a two step process, he said it wasn't. This is a local powder coater and I think he doesn't want put the extra effort in to doing this. Plus he figures most poeple don't know much about powder coating. Bit I have to say this he giving me a great deal on it. I geuss you get what you pay for.

Hay muff what class are you running next year.

mxracer111
02-12-2004, 10:09 PM
how much is he charging you?

02-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Sick0

muff is running in the womens 80cc open class.:eek:

CTmxyfz
02-13-2004, 04:44 AM
Well I ask him if it was a two step process, he said it wasn't. This is a local powder coater and I think he doesn't want put the extra effort in to doing this. Plus he figures most poeple don't know much about powder coating. Bit I have to say this he giving me a great deal on it. I geuss you get what you pay for.

what class will you be running?

02-13-2004, 07:22 AM
he will be running the 80cc open class right alongside muff.

Sick0
02-13-2004, 07:52 AM
4stroke A amd pro-am

muff
02-13-2004, 01:03 PM
I'll just be doin 4 stroke B...unless I end up winnin by a lot the first couple races and then move up to A...we'll just have to see

Pappy
02-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Well I ask him if it was a two step process, he said it wasn't. This is a local powder coater and I think he doesn't want put the extra effort in to doing this. Plus he figures most poeple don't know much about powder coating.

he is and he isnt correct. translucent colors can be done over properly prepared metal without a base coat. infact on some parts its the only way to get uniform color. if a beadblasted part is washed and dried properly it can be shot with a translucent and the results are great!!!

i have talked to well over 100 different pc shops around the country this past year and the majority dont mess with the 2 ..3 or 4 layer powders. there is too much risk for error and it wouldnt payoff unless they were good at it.

also, alot of the colors available today look so damn good that any scratch or chip makes it look bad in short order, whereas the basic colors can usually take some abuse before they look bad enough to be redone. and further more, some colors hide so well that heavy damage wont even be noticed until almost all the pc is gone:p

Pappy
02-13-2004, 03:27 PM
also ask the coater if he has a one layer color that is in the same "tonal" range as the translucent. i recently did a 400ex frame in "royal blue" and when i finished i set it beside a trans blue frame. to my amazement they were very very close until you got within a few feet of them.

Sick0
02-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Pappy what color would you recommend that easy, looks close to the color I'm looking for, and will look good even if its a little ding up. I want to make this as simple as possible so I can get a good results. I think this powder coat is more about commical jobs and doesn't want something that to complacited. Hes most of the translusent he has done was over chrome. the color of the swingarm is bad ***.

Pappy
02-13-2004, 05:45 PM
it will depend on where he orders his powder. i love Cobalt blue and Royalblue isnt bad. both share the same tonal value has transparent blue. in other words they are the same shade or really close to each other. the human eye can distinguish so much Range in color that its really down to each persons like's or dislike's.

there arent many Blue's that catch my attention with regards to powdercoat. the 3 ive listed are my favorites and to add to that list would be Metalic Blue which is much much darker.

thanks for the comments on muff's swing arm. pictures really dont do those colors justice. i get a kick everytime i pull a part from the oven
:p

Pappy
02-13-2004, 05:53 PM
most of the translusent he has done was over chrome. .

i get alot of jobs for trans colors over chrome from car and truck guys...and the street bike crowd. i wouldnt recommend it for off road vehicles because its applied at such a thin coating that it lacks the typical durability of pc. But the look is pretty badazz

Pappy
02-13-2004, 05:55 PM
ill try and get some new pictures this spring. its hard to get pics of every job but i try if the sun is out:p

muff
02-13-2004, 08:16 PM
:D good work pappy....I really like trans blue cause it sticks out

Sick0
02-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the help pappy.