PDA

View Full Version : cr 250 ignition on a trx250r?

wwclea01
02-12-2004, 11:41 AM
How does it help and does it bolt right up. Can you tell a difference in power?

AndrewRRR
02-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Yes. Sort of. Yes
The CR ignition is a much better overall ignition than the 16-something year old trx ignition. It has a more aggressive timing curve, hotter spark, etc. One of the biggest differences you will notice is in the reduction of flywheel weight. The CR has a tiny flywheel. It makes the bike vibrate more (piston speeding up and slowing down faster due to the reduced inertia on the crank) but not bad, nothing like a bike motor in a quad frame. It really surprised me having a big bore stroker R that revved like a 125 dirt bike!
The bike accelerates faster (and decelerates faster also). You'll need to give it a little more gas to get it going and I would definately not recommend if you are planning on doing any sort of slow technical riding.
ESR and CT sell plates to adapt the CR setup to the trx motor, they are about $80. It's not a difficult swap but you will basicallly be rewiring the entire bike so you have to decide if you are up for that. Also, you may or may not know there is no lighting coil on the CR stator so you won't be running lights. Ricky Stator developed a lighting kit that I will probably be getting soon, i'll see how I like it and report back.
If you decide to get one and don't go with a pre-fabbed kit (personally I think they are overpriced) make sure you get all the components from the same year bike, they are not interchangable.

wwclea01
02-12-2004, 04:34 PM
would this be alright on a pretty much stock motor. I am not worried about the wiring, I already did away with the lights. It is bored 1 mm over and has pipe reeds and silencer. Other that that pretty much stock. I would be racing xc and trail riding

sandspanker
02-12-2004, 08:27 PM
:p the LRD ignition works really good also.:)

AndrewRRR
02-13-2004, 12:05 PM
If you are gonna be riding trails and XC I would recommend against it. Right off idle it makes the bike act kind of like a banshee since there is no flywheel weight to keep the motor spinning, you have to keep the revs up. I killed my R twice the first time I rode it with the CR ignition before I even got going (and this is on a big bore stroker).
I'd reccommend doing a LRD ignition box. I'm probably going to be selling mine since I have the CR ignition, the box has maybe 2 hours of riding time on it. Let me know if you are interested.
Are you sure you don't want to get it ported and bump up the compression before you fool with ignition?

sandspanker
02-13-2004, 04:04 PM
:rolleyes: how mutch do you want for the lrd ignition. e-mail me and let me know if you still have my address.im interested .:D

AndrewRRR
02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by sandspanker
:rolleyes: how mutch do you want for the lrd ignition. e-mail me and let me know if you still have my address.im interested .:D

I forgot your email address, could you email or PM me with it?
I dunno how much i want for the LRD box, I just paid $179 for it from Nacs (LRD was out of them so I had to go through Nacs, haha).