PDA

View Full Version : FCR carb on the 450r

86350x
02-12-2004, 02:42 AM
Anyone ordered or installed an fcr on the 450r???

I think it would make a bigger difference then most people would think.

Anyone

:confused:

JH Racing#16
02-12-2004, 08:07 AM
I have a FCR carb on mine. It will make a difference but I can not tell you how big because I did the cam carb exhaust and had the head ported all at once.

exrider44
02-12-2004, 08:16 AM
dam! hows is it with all of those mods. Fast?:devil:

kgbg
02-12-2004, 08:38 AM
I have one on order, but the brown santa has not come in yet. I wil llet you know when it gets here.

bigz-71
02-12-2004, 09:00 AM
i would like to know how much difference it make too. i wonder if it is worth changing. so if anyone knows please let us know.

lukester720
02-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Curtis sparks will have theirs to ship out soon all ready to put on the 450r. I will call them and find out what they say the difference is.

Texasrider
02-12-2004, 09:55 AM
What's the FCR carb gonna cost you?
What's the difference between the stock carb and FCR and how will it improve performance?

86atc250r
02-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Expect a difference, but not of the same magnatude as when putting an FCR on a 400EX - because on the 450R you're actually decreasing the carb's bore, not increasing it.

If I were to guess, a little better power all around, especially noticible on the bottom (believe it or not.)

Why? How can a smaller carb still offer better performance? Because the FCR is a "cleaner" carb -- it doesn't have the disruptions in air flow that the stock carb has.

rtyfz450
02-12-2004, 12:02 PM
yeah I agree with atc,
the slide has better bottom end response over a butterfly I can't guarntee overall better performance but I can say that the bike stock has less snap than my yfz (for riding the 450r not bench racing it). that may be due to the carb.

honda350r
02-12-2004, 12:24 PM
I will buy your old stock carbs!! Please PM me if you would like to sell ! Thanks

bigz-71
02-12-2004, 05:31 PM
i know you need a 40mm carb and it comes on the dirt bike stock. does anyone else offer a 40mm carb? honda wants a little over 500 for their carb. i was wondering where i might get the best deal on a carb.

brif
02-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Service Honda. $350 ish.

Tommy 17
02-12-2004, 07:03 PM
j.w. but what exactly is a FCR carb??? what makes it differnt??? what do the letters stand for???? i never really looked into them...

norrisboat
02-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Im gonna wait until I find out what the pro's are doing. 39mm may not be the best choice for the 450r. Wait. Ask the pros. Wait for the testing and the results to come out.

rtyfz450
02-13-2004, 09:43 AM
j.w. but what exactly is a FCR carb??? what makes it differnt??? what do the letters stand for???? i never really looked into them...

The differenece between the stock trx450r carb (butterfly 42mm with tps) and the crf 450r carb (40mm fcr) is all in the air flow.

When you open the throttle up on a butterfly style carb the carb intake opens a circular type slide (Butterfly) which is attached in the middle to the cable and lets air in from the intake. The slide takes in air but until you reach wide open throttle it also causes turbulence in the carb intake and thus a reduction in immediate throttle response.

the frc carb works completly different, It has a flat slide that moves up through the carbs intake and lets the air come in with alot less turbulence. This induction of air give better initial throttle response and air flow is also controlled more efficiently throughout all postions of the slide.

another cool feature is a smooth bore that also keeps intake turbulence to a minimum. the fcr aslo has a floating valve design which maintains a positive seal with the carburetor body. this provides accurate fuel metering. This helps with keeping acceleration smooth yet providing an accurate amount of fuel for the bike.
The carb that is on the bike is 42 mm the carb you would replace it with is 40 mm so you are losing bore yes but performance no. Honda put the 42mm carb to equal out the performance of the fcr but with a bigger venturi you loose torque going to the small carb will not only increase throttle response but give you greater torque.

minkuni, keihin, and others all make flat slide carbs and are used on road race bike and off road applications.
What keeps them from using this style on everybike? Cost/ safty
What do the pros use? fcr (flat slide or flat cr).
Is there a problem with you current carb? No.
Is there a performace difference for the average user? probably not going to give you massive amounts of hp and torque.
Is there a performance difference for a guy that wants to make his quad better than others? yes, ask any pro
Did they save alot of money by excluding the fcr from the bike? In my opinion yes.
could I be wrong and honda just knows more about carb tech and can defy physics and current tech than me and the carb manufacterors and the pros. they know more than me that is for sure but not more than everyone including themselves because look what the put on their cfr450. yeah, yeah I know it is a different engine and blah blah blah but face it same design more quad friendly and more beef in the trans is what it all adds up to.
hope that answers your questions and do some research yourself if you think I am full of it.

86atc250r
02-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Good explanation....

RTYFZ is correct in all but his assumption on the price.

Honda pays little to nothing for carbs - FCR or not.

The choice as to which carb to use was more of a safety/design issue than one of pricing.

If Honda was that concerned about pricing, they would not spend so much money on development by changing in some way nearly everything about the CRF engine to make it work better on a quad.

FCR carbs are designed for a push/pull throttle setup - if you don't use that, you open yourself up to a lot of liability issues. To get around this, Yamaha used their TORS setup, which most riders dislike. Honda just decided to go the route of using a different style carb.

The good thing is you can buy a 40mm FCR from Honda for about $330 if you want it. With the increase in bottom end & and throttle response should make this thing a monster since those properties are so good to begin with...

rtyfz450
02-13-2004, 10:51 AM
ok yeah the safty side to it does make alot of sense Like I said just my opinion. But when you explian it that way I totally agree that it looks like honda did it for "safty" rather than cost.

kgbg
02-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Man that was a great explanation. Way to go, you know your sh1t for sure.

joe1l
02-13-2004, 03:14 PM
My only concern would be getting the correct jetting the FCR. They start nice and easy right now, but if you swicth carbs and have the incorrect jetting, there is no telling how hard it will be to start. I would wait to someone else perfects it and then go with a nicely prejetting carb for the 450r instead of one off the CRF.

thomez
02-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Eliminating TORS on YFZ = free

Getting FCR on TRX = $330

coryatver
02-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Eliminating TORS on YFZ = broken neck

thomez
02-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Eliminating TORS on YFZ = broken neck

It is the same thing as putting one on the TRX ... what is the difference?

robby26wi
02-14-2004, 12:25 AM
The stock carb sells at service honda for 900 something....List is almost 1500....If thats correct thats INSANE...

Guy400
02-14-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by robby26wi
The stock carb sells at service honda for 900 something....List is almost 1500....If thats correct thats INSANE... I'm not sure where you saw that price quoted. I just went to servicehonda.com and the stock TRX carb is $216. The FCR off a 2004 CRF450R dirtbike is $388.41.

robby26wi
02-14-2004, 07:22 AM
They must have changed it because it was 1498 or some crap...maybe they have the wrong part number....

robby26wi
02-14-2004, 07:22 AM
the 2003 carb is your best bet...Its 338...

Guy400
02-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Not exactly sure what the difference is but the FCR off the YFZ is over $600.

robby26wi
02-14-2004, 07:34 AM
Yamaha is selling it thats why...There prices arent cheap...You would think with all the crap they sell they could sell it cheaper...

Pappy
02-14-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by robby26wi
Yamaha is selling it thats why...There prices arent cheap...You would think with all the crap they sell they could sell it cheaper...

exactly. but gabe has consistantly posted that honda parts are way cheaper then yammy. and for some thats reason enough not to buy the yfz. i have 2 sets of everything here for my yfz....just for back up. take off parts are dirt cheap so im capitolizing on that fact now:p

Guy400
02-14-2004, 07:39 AM
I think the reason that most Honda ATV parts are cheaper are because they're assembled in the US. Warehouses are already here and are full of parts. The customer doesn't have to absorb the shipping cost from Japan.

Pappy
02-14-2004, 07:43 AM
im still not satisfied with all the yammy parts off the yfz, i know its prolly just me tho.

i notice little details....like the ruff cast hubs, or poorly plated and coated brackets. the new honda fender brackets are zinc plated or copy cadium. nice touch IMO. i like the qulaity of most of the honda oem parts.

robby26wi
02-14-2004, 09:03 AM
You noticed that also huh pappy....I took mine off and was like daaamn.....The seat latch is also....mine is damn near down to the frame already...

rtyfz450
02-14-2004, 09:23 AM
no doubt that the honda parts on the 450r show good construction and thought. When I first saw the bike on the showroom floor I said it looks well built. However functionally the yfz has no problems in my book, yes rough cast hubs are not as nice even as my stock hubs on the 400ex but they get the job done and I don't look at my hubs when I ride. There are plety of aftermarket hubs and everthing else for the yfz to make your ride look stylish.

I do have some peeves about a couple of parts on the yfz like:
the seat latch is plastic (crap), I don't really care for the stock location of the rear brake reservior, the stock silencer is horrible, stock air filter and they way they attach is horrible, I don't like the chain adjuster at all (suck), and the keep for the front sproket is stupid.

besides that I loved the stock bike, however it was pretty easy to correct all these minor issues(except chain adjuster, need a new swing which is coming soon.) in about 2 weeks. I had alot more other issues with the 400ex stock also(won't get into listing too long)

about the OEM part, I might be crazy but I think that the yamaha part at the dealers I go to come in faster and cost on average about the same as parts for honda bikes. Ok If you go to service honda yes you will get better deals but I don't like ordering parts over the internet, I like talking to someone (human).

coryatver
02-14-2004, 10:53 AM
You can call and order from them.

rtyfz450
02-14-2004, 11:01 AM
yeah I guess you could call them but I like the experience of going down to the dealer and looking at the new bike and it only takes me 10min to get there so they call me I come down and pick stuff up that I need while I am there. I also think alot of the people at dealers are stupid and shouldn't be anywhere near a customer that is why I deal with only one guy.

twisted threads
02-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by rtyfz450
I also think alot of the people at dealers are stupid and shouldn't be anywhere near a customer that is why I deal with only one guy.
LOL .. I think its funny when I know more about the 450r and the 400ex than my dealer does.:) :cool:

rtyfz450
02-14-2004, 02:40 PM
yeah it is pretty bad when I asked a guy at a big dealer for an oil filter for my 400ex and one for the yfz450 when it first came out and he said, "yfz what? are you thinking of the dirtbike?
:grr:

BigAl
02-14-2004, 06:01 PM
You can't compare Service Honda prices to Yamaha list price, and get a fair comparison.

The YFZ carb is somewhat different than the bike carb.

The idle spped adjustment, and TPS and TORS system add some features (headaches?) that aren't on the bike carb.

The parts prices is one of the areas that Honda really changed when they brought out the 400, and I'm glad they did it.

Parts for the YFZ are cheaper than some of the older model Yamahas, so I would say they saw Honda's move as a good one, and I'm glad.

outacontrol31
02-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by JH Racing#16
I have a FCR carb on mine. It will make a difference but I can not tell you how big because I did the cam carb exhaust and had the head ported all at once.

hey johnny how did you like the 450 at glen helen, how much horse power did the 450 increase with these mods hope ta see ya at athens, and hope you don't shell out your gearbox like last year, see ya

Jonas
02-14-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm sure there is someone out there that has tried an fcr off there 400ex, put it on their 450r, and raced it against a stock 450r. I am still curious about the original question. I have an fcr39 on my 400ex and would like to find out if anyone has tried on out??

jamiesel
02-14-2004, 09:42 PM
I would be curious to see how nicew the honda is to kick start with a fcr carb as opposed to the butterfly.

2004TRX450R
02-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by rtyfz450

about the OEM part, I might be crazy but I think that the yamaha part at the dealers I go to come in faster and cost on average about the same as parts for honda bikes.

Yup would have to say you are crazy. Honda ships all their parts 2nd day air. Most dealers get two Honda shipments in a week. Yamaha on the other hand takes a fulll week to get it. Order it on Wed. it comes in the following Wed. Unless your dealer pays more for faster freight but then they probaby charge a little more for the parts to make up for it.