PDA

View Full Version : Starting secrets

airheadedduner
02-11-2004, 10:00 PM
We all know this is an importent part of the race. I have only been racing since Nov. so I am still a learning. For me it is 1st, or 2nd gear starts leaned over the bars. When I look at pics like what is in the race coverage forum it shows the pros leaned way back on the seats, how are they keeping from wheeling over? I usually get great starts but I think I can do better. So spill the beans people. Lets here your secrets.

bradley300
02-11-2004, 10:12 PM
its all about wight transfer, just practice, you'll find the spot where its hard to whelly and still get good traction

speeddemon105
02-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Clutch control helps alot Ive found. Just dumping it is either going to send the wheels spinning like crazy, or you're going to wheelie. You just have to keep practicing until you get the feel of it. 2nd gear too, no 1st gear starts.

Nausty
02-13-2004, 12:22 PM
keep your body as low as possible to keep as much weight over the rear tires while having a low center of gravity to keep it from wheeling!;)

Craig02
02-13-2004, 12:55 PM
An aftermarket extended swingarm will help a lot

quadrcr161
02-13-2004, 01:16 PM
i wont give away all my secrets, but sit up front then once you launch slide back over the rear tires. also dont spin too much off the line, if your spinning your not going anywhere. the last 2 mx races ive been in (last 3 yrs while i was ona break) i pulled the holeshot everytime by a few bike lengths.

brian-250
02-13-2004, 02:01 PM
like they said, heres a tip to avoid sliping off the shifter(if you were work boots)take some duct tape and rap[ it round bout where youre shifter is this helps alot in the winter and water;) push down on youre bars to

Matt756
02-13-2004, 03:10 PM
skill

dirtmomma
02-13-2004, 03:33 PM
There is a video out there called Gary Denton Pro ATV riding & racing & it's very informative we got it for my son, & he's watched it over & over & I can see where he has taken the advice about starts & he's improved!!! He says to do it like quadrcr161 says pretty much!!! Good Luck!!

03400EX_Nacs
02-13-2004, 04:52 PM
those are some really good tips i am going to try then a.s.a.p. but about there gary denton video i seen it in an add in a magazine would you say it was worth it to get it?

EASTHILL
02-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Timing is very important. RELAX......
I watch the start mans shoulder-its the first body part to move.
Then its a smooth clutch and throttle combo that only comes with
practice. ;)

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

dirtmomma
02-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by 03400EX_Nacs
those are some really good tips i am going to try then a.s.a.p. but about there gary denton video i seen it in an add in a magazine would you say it was worth it to get it?

WEll I thought it was, he has alot of good racing tips & some good footage also :) I learned a few things from it.

airheadedduner
02-13-2004, 10:21 PM
I run a +2 swingarm, it don't really help a whole lot to keep the front end down, though I do imagine it would be worse if I didn't have it.
I do stay low on the bike, and I have no probs shifting thanks to a pro design -1 shifter;)

I think what I need to work on is moving back and clutch control. I am used to dragging in the sand where you just dump the thing.

Thanks for the info.

The denton video is good but it won't help you with anything jumping related. Of course the one I saw is him on a suzuki factory ride, its old.

QuadJunkies
02-14-2004, 12:07 AM
?Ive been pretty good on holehots, but lately Im gassing it up and dumoing the clutch WAAYYYY too much lately on the track.....:o I hate starting out in second gear its not natual for me to do and with a drop in sprocket I can pull a serious wheelie!!:p I need to fix my gearing and I think Ill do better and learn to ease my clutch a bit more........:)

gimp419
02-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Like was said above I'm not giving away all my secrets. But if you want a good start you've got to relax and watch the gate. Most Pros will tell you to watch the pin under the gate, but if you just watch the gate you'll be fine. Plus if you are in a state of serious concentration on that first wiggle of the pin or gate you won't be as nervous at the start. Remember to slip the clutch don't dump it and get you're weight back as soon as you get the front wheels over the gate. If you slip the clutch you should never have to worry about wheelies of the line. 1 more thing, don't let off the gas till you think if you hold it another second you're gonna fly by the first corner. A start is like the rest of the race it's all gas or all brake there should be no coasting! Just a few helpful hints, I've got more but I'm saving em for myself!

03400EX_Nacs
02-14-2004, 09:52 AM
man those are some great tips but i'll sen ya a $1 for some more:D but really did you learn all those things from years of racing experiance?

bansheerider_13
02-14-2004, 10:48 AM
you want tips heres all i have to offer

line your bike up a little ways from where the gate hits the ground do not line right up on top of it like some riders then when the broad go side ways slowly release the clutch so your bike is just inching up on it and hopefully you time it just right so you will already be moving slowly as the gate drops this pretty much will get rid of the wheeling you want all your weight forward off the gate but soon as you hit dirt side as far back as possible and go going till you think theres no way to make the turn then lock it up throw it side ways and get back on it and you've pulled the holeshot

well thats how i won many holeshots when i raced and that was really the thing i was good at when racing for some reason but with a good holeshot it will make racing alot easier when your already out front instead of having to pass the pack

gimp419
02-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Holeshots take practice. Go out in an open field and just practice over and over. Figure out when to shift and how much you need to slip the clutch coming off the line to get max traction without wheelying. Some people can race for years and never get a good holeshot, it's something that you've got to practice, just like jumping, cornering, and braking. We've all given you good advise no it's up to you to put it into action, go out and start practicing your holeshot!

markk
02-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Make your clutch work for you!!!, I get the biek started and rev up to id say 1/2 throttle,before i slip the clutch and then right into a dump, as soon as i feel the quad move! You will find a certain spot on the seet/ or tank that u like to sit, it all really depends on your weight,tires,ground condition, and your HP's!! just practice ALOT!!!!!!!!!