PDA

View Full Version : 450r compared 2 service 250r

1fastprototype
02-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Well I have been waiting patiently for a ride on the 450r and finally got to put in some seat time. I have alot of time on the yfz and was just waiting to get time on the 450r before buying a second machine. Not bad smooth and revs nice. But after a lot of thought I am going to get a 2nd Service Honda 250r. My new race one is almost finished and can't wait. I just can't give up that hard hitting light weight 2 stroke. I was really hoping for more out of the 450r but am slightly disappointed and I am true to red.I just can't get away from a machine that only weighs 305 lbs and puts out power and speed that is so far unmatched.With over 250 hours on a Service 250r I can say it is an amazing machine.

JWhite
02-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Really? What are the specs and price of the Service Honda 250R?

I know it's expensive. What do you get and for how much?

Guy400
02-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by JWhite
Really? What are the specs and price of the Service Honda 250R?

I know it's expensive. What do you get and for how much? CR250 engine, reinforced 400ex frame, stock chassis components...$8000.

jarsong
02-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by 1fastprototype
Well I have been waiting patiently for a ride on the 450r and finally got to put in some seat time. I have alot of time on the yfz and was just waiting to get time on the 450r before buying a second machine. Not bad smooth and revs nice. But after a lot of thought I am going to get a 2nd Service Honda 250r. My new race one is almost finished and can't wait. I just can't give up that hard hitting light weight 2 stroke. I was really hoping for more out of the 450r but am slightly disappointed and I am true to red.I just can't get away from a machine that only weighs 305 lbs and puts out power and speed that is so far unmatched.With over 250 hours on a Service 250r I can say it is an amazing machine.

305lbs! OMG. What a ride. There are time I miss the HARD power hit from the old 250R. What kind of HP do these dyno out at?
jarsong

trout
02-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by 1fastprototype

Sounds like advertising, do you work for service Honda?

just curious...:confused:

86atc250r
02-11-2004, 07:53 PM
That's what I was thinking too :)

I do have a few thoughts and questions though....

I'm currently building a CR500 powered 400EX chassis --- in anticipation that the 450R would not be able to deliver the power I wanted in the dunes and on the flat/tt track.

Overall my quad is currently weighing in at 335lbs & it's not quite finished - Have you weighed the Servicehonda bike to see if the 305lbs is true? I have a hard time believing a CR250 engine weighs at least 30 lbs less than a CR500. Although I weighed mine wet.

I will agree that the lightweight feeling with the 2 stroke engine in this chassis is hard to beat.

However, I am considering abandoning this project even though it's mostly finished because of the delivery the 450R has. The power is so much more useable & although it doesn't put out nearly the torque the 500 does and is obviously heavier - I'm beginning to feel I will be much faster on it in everything but a straight drag - which I care little about.

My original thought was the 500 develops good torque across it's entire power range - I've found that the 450R just has about 30% or so more useable range.

Do you have any pictures of your servicehonda quad? How did they deal with the high RPM vibration issue - didn't look to me like they boxed in the frame enough to me. The vibes on my 500R aren't bad, but I more heavily modified my chassis to help eliminate some...

1fastprototype
02-11-2004, 08:09 PM
No I don't work for them I was just lucky enough to be the one doing all the test riding and got to race one the last half of the season. The only time I notice the vibration is sitting still revvin it to the moon. The first dyno numbers were ranging between 44.2 and 47 depending on the pipe combination. The one I have with fmf pipe has alot more bottom end and you can climb staying in the pipe but off the powervalve, then open the valve and hang on. The one with the pro circuit pipe has more top end and revs very high but lacks the bottom end that the fmf produces. This is all on a bone stock motor and the pipes were custom built on the dyno. After being on a thumper for a couple years I was leary about going back to a 2 stroke, that lasted about 5 minutes. I really was enticipating more from the 450r but hopefully that is just a starting point and will improve for next year.

86atc250r
02-11-2004, 08:22 PM
The only time I notice the vibration is sitting still revvin it to the moon.That's about the only time it really becomes obnoxious on my 500R. When riding, I haven't yet noticed it.