PDA

View Full Version : just a simple question about a cam....

flyin_high
02-11-2004, 03:37 PM
hey whats up, im from atlantic canada, no i dont live in an igloo but i do have a question that im hoping you guys could answer for me. okay here we go, i got a 2003 honda 400ex, i have an after market exaust and the carb is jetted, i ordered the stage 2 cam for it yesterday, this cam said its for real good low end to mid range power, will i be able to notice alot of diffrence after i put this cam in?????

sickmojave
02-11-2004, 03:52 PM
I thought the stage 2 was for mid to topend power.:huh

tnine416
02-11-2004, 03:58 PM
stage 1 is better for a stock motor, stage 2 is more of a built motor cam....stage 1 is for bottom-mid ,stage 2 is mid-high

Doibugu2
02-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Sadly you were misinformed, the stage 2 cam you will loose some low end. Its a more mid to top cam.

You should notice some nice gains.

hondarider2006
02-11-2004, 05:06 PM
sense you ordered that, I would also order a high comp. pistion also now:) Maybe even go w/ a 416:cool:

flyin_high
02-11-2004, 06:01 PM
okay, so just wondering, whats the sense of a hotcam then?? they are stated that they are "drop in" cams. so what you guys are saying is that they arent really a drop in cam???, but even if i put that cam in my bike and stuff it will run okay wouldnt it???? reply back asap

INFANTRY RACING
02-11-2004, 06:06 PM
the bike will run fine it's just the cam is a mx style cam for mid to top end power while the stage 1 is a xc trail cam for more bottom end power.

cals400ex
02-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by flyin_high
okay, so just wondering, whats the sense of a hotcam then?? they are stated that they are "drop in" cams. so what you guys are saying is that they arent really a drop in cam???, but even if i put that cam in my bike and stuff it will run okay wouldnt it???? reply back asap

yes, you will probally loose a decent amount of low end power. you will just need to keep the rpms up and it might actually be fairly quick.
the hotcams are drop in cam, meaning that they don't require heavier springs and you can use stock rockers. actually, you aren't suppose to use hardened rockers with this cam. it will run just fine, but the power will be at a total different rpm range than with the stock cam.

44oEX
02-12-2004, 05:24 AM
even if you put in the cam I'll still beat you.

It is a drope in cam cause you don't need new rockers or new valve springs. the stage 2 works better if you have a high comp pston but it will still work good and you will feel the diff. My friend has one in his bike and he likes it alot.

My bike sould be up and running in a couple week we have to go ridding