PDA

View Full Version : QUIET, w/no Power Loss Exhaust System

k2-dawg
02-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Ok, I've done a search and read all the comments about this exhaust system and that exhaust system. Seen the DW exhaust test and comparison, blah blah blah.

Hands down, bar none..... I want comments from you, exriders. I need stealth mode with no power loss. So tell me guys and girls, which exhaust (full system) is the QUIETEST and produces the best power results (low end to mid range or top end)???

Taco
02-11-2004, 12:11 PM
define quiet

Vista Cruiser
02-11-2004, 01:10 PM
The factory exhaust with spark arrester removed and header flange welds ground down is hard to beat.

k2-dawg
02-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Taco
define quiet

91db - 98db

Taco
02-11-2004, 01:42 PM
hrmm maybe the HMF full system with quiet core.

sickmojave
02-11-2004, 01:50 PM
I would say the LTE. ;)

02-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Taco
hrmm maybe the HMF full system with quiet core.

Umm I don't think so stupid... :blah:

I rode with a wolverine this weekend with a HMF and quite core. Sounds like a 74 sportster goin thru the woods..:eek:

The FMF powerbong and FMF Q series muffler is probably your best bet. Or powerbong header and modified stock muffler.:huh

markk
02-11-2004, 02:00 PM
two of my buddies are running full system LRD's and they love them, and when we went to The Lonestar, he blew a 96DB so they have awsome power, and are not that loud

muff
02-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by markk
two of my buddies are running full system LRD's and they love them, and when we went to The Lonestar, he blew a 96DB so they have awsome power, and are not that loud

a lrd is a heck of a lot louder than what he is looking for :eek: they may not be the loudest systems out there, but i guess loud is all in terms of what your use to....when i hop on my ex and ride w/ my friends yfz whose got a curtis sparks exhaust mines quiet..when i go trail ridin by myself or with some utilities the only thing you can hear is my quad...

lrd is a great system, but not the quiet he was looking for

Sportrax10
02-11-2004, 02:44 PM
White Brothers E-Series gets my vote...

wilkin250r
02-11-2004, 02:45 PM
I also want a truck with a 12 inch lift that will out-maneuver a Formula 1 racecar.

See where I'm getting at? I want a vehicle that will tow a triple-axle 5th wheel trailer, but also gets 42 miles per gallon while doing it. You are asking for the impossible.

The bottom line, quiet equals less power. You are not going to find a quiet exhaust with equal or more power than a "loud" exhaust system. Sure, a FMF Q-series will have more power than your stock exhaust, but it will also be louder than your stock exhaust. At the same time, the Q-series will not have as much power as a regular FMF (non-Q) pipe.

JDiablo
02-11-2004, 02:54 PM
the cobra is ur best bet:blah:

sickmojave
02-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

The bottom line, quiet equals less power. You are not going to find a quiet exhaust with equal or more power than a "loud" exhaust system.

I disagree with you on that. Mickey Dunlap posted some really good info this.

I have tested the LTE system on are 470cc YFZ with quiet cores against are full race pipe and there was a slite gain in the mid range but it was alot quieter. With the new sound laws just around the corner their system may be the hot set up.

you can read the rest here.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88268

zephead400ex
02-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
the cobra is ur best bet:blah:
:eek2: :D

JDiablo
02-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
:eek2: :D

OoO,i thought he said extremly loud and loss of power...i think i need stronger contacts:cool:

Matt756
02-11-2004, 03:28 PM
quit pickin on cobra there a nice pipe if the quad is to powerful for u and have a set of earplugs handy

k2-dawg
02-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I also want a truck with a 12 inch lift that will out-maneuver a Formula 1 racecar.

See where I'm getting at? I want a vehicle that will tow a triple-axle 5th wheel trailer, but also gets 42 miles per gallon while doing it. You are asking for the impossible.

The bottom line, quiet equals less power. You are not going to find a quiet exhaust with equal or more power than a "loud" exhaust system. Sure, a FMF Q-series will have more power than your stock exhaust, but it will also be louder than your stock exhaust. At the same time, the Q-series will not have as much power as a regular FMF (non-Q) pipe.

I didn't think that what I was asking was all that impossible. I gotta Big Gun now, just looking for something better and quieter....

400exdad
02-11-2004, 05:49 PM
I been looking and working on this problem for some time now. First with the LT80. Finally, ended up with a CT racing pipe, 250R silencer, and a custom turbine core spark arrestor. Against my better judgement, I just bought AND SOLD an HMF for the 300. It was louder than what I wanted so I tacked a washer to further limit the sound (and power) on the quiet core. After I did it, I got out the DW mag and found that I had re-created the older quiet core that HMF built when they first introduced the option. Still too loud. :( Anyway, here is what I think: Stock is hard to beat. DW even said it when they talked about the 450R pipe. Nothing can compete with a chambered muffler. The straight thru design just doesn't deflect enough sound waves to reduce noise. Perhaps the LTE exhaust with quiet cores is the answer since each muffler has to flow half as much. My .02. :)

JD400exrider
02-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Getting down as low as 91db and still have some power over the stock exhaust I think is almost impossible if not impossible. My buddy had a Q series and hated it. He runs a CT pipe with discs now and he ads and removes discs to get down to the 94 - 96db.
I run the power bomb header with a CHM slip on with there quiet core. I have not been tested for DB yet but they are made here in CA and are supposed to pass the 96 db rating. I know people that have been tested and they pass. The power bomb may get it 1 db lower also. I cannot tell much difference with or with out the quiet core. I like the pipe. Good power gains.
Here is the slip on I run. www.chmexhausts.com

As far as getting down to 91+db Good Luck
I would like to know more on this LTE pipe. Where to get info or web site ?

sickmojave
02-12-2004, 05:36 AM
http://lteracing.com/

wilkin250r
02-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by sickmojave
I disagree with you on that. Mickey Dunlap posted some really good info this.

you can read the rest here.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88268

I agree there, but most people haven't warmed up to the dual-exhaust principle yet. Not only that, but I had been telling everybody that I thought LTE had real potential, and everybody told my I was stupid and dual exhaust was a waste of money. Now that Mickey Dunlap supports it, suddenly it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

wilkin250r
02-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by k2-dawg
I didn't think that what I was asking was all that impossible. I gotta Big Gun now, just looking for something better and quieter....

LTE has been mentioned.

The Big Gun is a decent system. Other than possibly LTE, I highly doubt you will get a quiet system with the same power output.

jmpulse
02-13-2004, 01:00 AM
The only real ways that the dB levels will be able to get quite are:

Stock, which dosen't flow anything. They keep the sound down by not allowing any direct route from the inlet to the output.

Restrict the output of preformance exausts. Nothing really inventive there. Less flow=less power=less noise!

Increase volume of the exaust system. More packing=less noise. This will allow to keep a better flow due to the added packing material.

LTE exaust is my vote for your requirements.

jmpulse
02-13-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
Getting down as low as 91db and still have some power over the stock exhaust I think is almost impossible if not impossible. My buddy had a Q series and hated it. He runs a CT pipe with discs now and he ads and removes discs to get down to the 94 - 96db.
I run the power bomb header with a CHM slip on with there quiet core. I have not been tested for DB yet but they are made here in CA and are supposed to pass the 96 db rating. I know people that have been tested and they pass. The power bomb may get it 1 db lower also. I cannot tell much difference with or with out the quiet core. I like the pipe. Good power gains.
Here is the slip on I run. www.chmexhausts.com

As far as getting down to 91+db Good Luck
I would like to know more on this LTE pipe. Where to get info or web site ?

It isn't impossible. Once the major race organizers start to require the lower dB's, which I feel they are stupid not to yet, the exaust companies will start to put more $ into designing exausts that will meet these requirments. Also, getting riders away from the idea of the louder the better, will help too. I personally hate loud exausts, well, except maybe a straight piped V-twin based chopper!

gimpbzkt400ex
02-13-2004, 08:50 AM
does anyone know the DB reading on a 400ex with a e-series slip on?

speedy400
02-13-2004, 08:57 AM
I love my setup and I ride in my backyard and the neighbors never get pissed or anything(given, it depends on the person but still...) I have a powerbomb header with a HMF slip on and a quietcore when I'm in the backyard. Seems to work great.-darren

phebus
02-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by gimpbzkt400ex

It's either 95, or 96db.

Runnin Dumb
02-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Flowmaster--- Go with the flow GrassHopper:devil:

JOEX
02-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by gimpbzkt400ex
It depends on the age of the packing. My friend had his tested and it was 100 or 101 db with a K&N and jets.

Joe

duneittilludie
02-13-2004, 11:45 PM
k2-dawg-My wife uses the fmf-q with a power bomb header on her 440 and it has been tested at 90 or 91 decibels i cant remember which but either way it is quiet and builds good power .When i say that the q builds good power i mean that it builds power that comes on at low rpms and builds very well into the midrange where it is actually useable.I know some other pipes will build more(peak) power but usually the power they build comes on strong at a rpm range that you would not get your motor to rev at for any length of time. With the set up that my wife uses on her 440 she can easily out run stock raptors and can hang even or better with piped ones in a sand drag race so that is good evidence that a quiet pipe can build good power and that power can be useable.If you can get access to dyno charts of 400 ex pipes you would see where the different pipes make their power and from this information you could choose one thats characteristics match your riding style and most often used rpm range.

02-14-2004, 06:14 AM
the fmf q series is quiet

rap169
02-14-2004, 11:16 AM
my buddy has a 400 with a big gun, and i dont feel that it is that loud. I think my white bros on my 250x is just as loud if not louder. I honestly like my other friends 300ex with a supertrapp isd2 sound. Its deep and not loud and annoying. JMO

k2-dawg
02-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your insights, albeit some more insightful than others but good nonetheless.

bigredfan
02-17-2004, 04:33 PM
hey guys and gals does anybody know anything about the white brothers R4 slipons.are they as good as the e-series and does anybody know wheather they are loud or not?any help would be apprieciated.I just think this pipe looks better and wanted to know if it performs as good or better without any added noise.

rollie
02-18-2004, 08:41 AM
the FMF Q! its saved me from the cops alot

02-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by bigredfan
hey guys and gals does anybody know anything about the white brothers R4 slipons.are they as good as the e-series and does anybody know wheather they are loud or not?any help would be apprieciated.I just think this pipe looks better and wanted to know if it performs as good or better without any added noise.

the R4 is LOUD

02-18-2004, 04:34 PM
I used the LTE's at the dunes this weekend and they were by far the quiestest setup out there, and by far the most potent power wise of anything I ran against. No piped 400ex or Z/KFX 400 could get within a half a bike length. When you ride it you don't go crazy from the sound of the exhaust. You hear just enough to know what's going on.

shamisc
04-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by mrbluehair
I used the LTE's at the dunes this weekend and they were by far the quiestest setup out there, and by far the most potent power wise of anything I ran against. No piped 400ex or Z/KFX 400 could get within a half a bike length. When you ride it you don't go crazy from the sound of the exhaust. You hear just enough to know what's going on.

Can you please post a pic of your 400ex with the LTE exhaust on it??? I'm going to order that kit today and Iwant to see what it looks like! Did you have any obstacles or things that had to be moved to put the system on?:confused: PLEASE let me know ASAP!!!