PDA

View Full Version : 86 R shock on 89 Linkage and quad?

nateftbl
02-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Ok ive read alot of post about this subject. A86 shock wont work with a 89 linkage. why not? I heard something about valving and leverage? whats that mean? I have a 86 shock on the way and a 89 linkage, this wont work? Is there a set up I can use to get the shock to work? thanks for the help

nateftbl
02-11-2004, 08:13 AM
can anyone help? thanks

moto50
02-11-2004, 08:20 AM
From what I have seen the only difference is the diameter of bolt going thru the lower shock mount.

A 86 linkage is a little longer and will lower your ride height a little but you will have to do a little work with the bushings since they are different diameters.

wilkin250r
02-11-2004, 10:41 AM
I haven't fully researched the subject, and the only thing I know is the 86 swingarm is 1 inch longer than the 89 swingarm, but I don't know the differences in the linkage. However, I CAN explain the valving and leverage.

Imagine you have a very tight bolt that you need to loosen. Actaully picture this in your mind. You have a wrench that is 1 ft long, and you can't turn the bolt. Now you get yourself a wrench that is 10 ft long. That should do the trick, right? With the longer wrench, you can apply more leverage.

The 86 and the 89 swingarms are different lengths, and therefore exert different leverage on the shock. With MORE leverage (longer swingarm) then your shock will be too soft, and bottom out too easily. If your swingarm is short (less leverage) than your shock will be too stiff.

The valving is part of the damping and helps soften the landings. In order to function properly, it must be set according to a certain leverage. If you change the leverage by changing the swingarm length, the shock can no longer function properly.

lil400exman
02-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I haven't fully researched the subject, and the only thing I know is the 86 swingarm is 1 inch longer than the 89 swingarm, but I don't know the differences in the linkage. However, I CAN explain the valving and leverage.

Imagine you have a very tight bolt that you need to loosen. Actaully picture this in your mind. You have a wrench that is 1 ft long, and you can't turn the bolt. Now you get yourself a wrench that is 10 ft long. That should do the trick, right? With the longer wrench, you can apply more leverage.

The 86 and the 89 swingarms are different lengths, and therefore exert different leverage on the shock. With MORE leverage (longer swingarm) then your shock will be too soft, and bottom out too easily. If your swingarm is short (less leverage) than your shock will be too stiff.

The valving is part of the damping and helps soften the landings. In order to function properly, it must be set according to a certain leverage. If you change the leverage by changing the swingarm length, the shock can no longer function properly.

good post wilkin. The 85-86 linkage is the longest though. go to rriders and red more i dont feel like typing until the nubs of my fingers are worn off:o also the U shaped part of the linkage that goes to the frame is wider in 86-87 then it is in 88-89:devil:

nateftbl
02-11-2004, 11:28 PM
thanks for the good pic/message! I still am trying figure out what setup i need for everything to be normal again. I have a 89 R every thing 89 but the shock is 86. how can I get everything to work right? or is there not a way? thanks again