PDA

View Full Version : Quad title question

Chevy454
02-10-2004, 08:59 PM
First off, I live in Missouri.

Second, is it a *must* that you title your quad? When buying a quad, should one stay away from one without a title? The reason I ask is I've found a 400ex for sale, but it was never titled. I've talked to some of my buddies, and some say I "must" title it, while others say I "don't have to". The owner didn't title it to avoid sales tax, but I was under the impression that it was a "no no" to not title ANY vehicle once it's changed ownership, especially to avoid paying sales tax. Here in Missouri I *believe* you're supposed to license it similar to what you would a car, only you recieve a decal to place on your quad versus a license plate...and I'm guessing once you do so you will then be required to pay property tax as well the following year on the quad, as well as paying sales tax when you *license* it.

So, what do I do, or what can I do?

MOFO
02-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm not familiar with your state laws, but it sounds pretty fishy to me... there really isnt a way to avoid tax's legally... unless you have a special permit (ie farm equipment). I'd look into this more before you put down any of your money!

I would either call your local police station (they can tell you the state laws) or contact your local gov't office.

sandspanker
02-10-2004, 10:16 PM
:) I f you can get the ven # call the dol to see if it is stolen.if it comes back not stolen, you may be able to apply for a lost title. but if all you are going to do with it is closed racing [on a track] i beleave it does not have to be titled. but i would look in to it.;)