PDA

View Full Version : truck problem

Stevie-D
02-10-2004, 07:51 PM
ive got a 95 dakota. i bought it a few months ago and i drive it every now and then around my property. im getting my liscense soon, so i cant drive it on the road yet. anyway, i ran it almost completely out of gas. i put some more in (5 gallons) and it now will cut out if i step on the gas. if i apply a little bit of force it will accelerate slowly, but it cuts out completely if i hammer the gas. any ideas of what could possible be causing this? my guess is that when i ran it really low on gas it may have sucked up some crap off the bottom of the tank and clogged the fuel filter. i havent had time to check it out yet. but does this sound like a possible cause?

MOFO
02-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
my guess is that when i ran it really low on gas it may have sucked up some crap off the bottom of the tank and clogged the fuel filter. i havent had time to check it out yet. but does this sound like a possible cause?

Yep! thats were I would start...

exrider505
02-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Yep! thats were I would start...

I agree:D

dabkrk45
02-11-2004, 07:53 AM
i know on some automobiles if you run completely out of gas the fuel pump goes bad and yuo have to replace it, but i dont know if thats yuor problem for sure or not.

chucked
02-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by dabkrk45
i know on some automobiles if you run completely out of gas the fuel pump goes bad and yuo have to replace it, but i dont know if thats yuor problem for sure or not. .
how many miles are on it?

BIG
02-11-2004, 08:19 AM
my guess would be that maybe u should think of checking the complete fuel system. I had my car do that and where it was a classic the entire fuel system cost me an arm and a leg to replace.
your's shouldn't be to hard to fix.

MOFO
02-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Yep, everyone is correct. Since the filter is AFTER the fuel pump, if you sucked anything up, it could damage the fuel pump before it even gets to the filter.

I would just cross your fingers and hopes its just a clogged filter.

jja125
02-11-2004, 04:14 PM
my 2001 dodge dakota is going into the garage today to have all the ball joints replaced, its already had the pads replaced and rotors ground once, and it only has 49k miles on it and chrysler doesn't think there's anything strange about that and basically said that it is my problem. :mad:

needless to say, i'll be trading my dodge in for a new truck very soon. i refuse to give chrysler any more of my money even if it costs me more to go somewhere else. they suck and are very dissapointing. i think i'm just going to go back to toyota. its funny that i'm driving my 14 year old toyota with 200k miles on it becuase my "new" dodge is in the shop. :mad: :mad:

TCracin440ex
02-11-2004, 07:57 PM
GET A CHEVY....that will solve all your problems...cheap to work on, and run strong

Mr.Offroad
02-11-2004, 08:20 PM
The wife's got a '93 Grand Cherokee (Chrysler product) and they told us a long time ago not to run it below an 1/8th of a tank, or it could make the fuel pump work too hard and burn it out. It has been an excellent vehicle besides this, and it's never actually happened to us.

TCracin440ex
02-11-2004, 08:21 PM
i dont think jeep is made by chrystler....i think jeep is their own brand...

UglyMotha™
02-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i dont think jeep is made by chrystler....i think jeep is their own brand...

uh........ no:o

try daimler chrysler

uglyfatha
02-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Yep, everyone is correct. Since the filter is AFTER the fuel pump, if you sucked anything up, it could damage the fuel pump before it even gets to the filter.

I would just cross your fingers and hopes its just a clogged filter. There is a filter strainer on the pick up of the fuel pump. Gas helps cool the fuel pump. That is why you should not run the tank low on fuel.

UglyMotha™
02-12-2004, 01:14 PM
^^^^^^thats my ole man http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/poopbanana.gif

Creole
02-12-2004, 01:48 PM
I have that same truck. Horrible fuel system pump, filter, injecters I had to change them all :grr:

Stevie-D
02-14-2004, 05:36 AM
i figured out my problem. my dad listened to me run it up and down the road in front of our house, and told me that i had water in the tank. i added some water evaporater, and the problems gone.

hey creole, have any pictures of yours? i havent taken any yet. mines a slt 4x4, with a visor and a rollbar with lights on it. its got a 2-tone paint job...green and silver. (complements of my boss):p
right now im fixing the area right under the right taillight because i backed it into my friggin trailboss. lmao. its so nice to have complete access to an auto body shop (thats where i work). everything is free. otherwise it woulda cost me about $250 to fix\paint. free stuff rocks!:blah:

Creole
02-14-2004, 08:38 AM
hey creole, have any pictures of yours? i havent taken any yet.

NO i dont have pics either. My dad is trying to fix my digital camera. Mines a 2X4 EXT w/V8 (318)and every option except four wheel drive.

stepupmx
02-14-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
i figured out my problem. my dad listened to me run it up and down the road in front of our house, and told me that i had water in the tank. i added some water evaporater, and the problems gone.

hey creole, have any pictures of yours? i havent taken any yet. mines a slt 4x4, with a visor and a rollbar with lights on it. its got a 2-tone paint job...green and silver. (complements of my boss):p
right now im fixing the area right under the right taillight because i backed it into my friggin trailboss. lmao. its so nice to have complete access to an auto body shop (thats where i work). everything is free. otherwise it woulda cost me about $250 to fix\paint. free stuff rocks!:blah:

Water in the gas? Same thing happened to my grandpas 1929 Ford Model A Roadster :( Hate the sound of it backfiring.