PDA

View Full Version : sucks - best friend wrecked lost rider

cliq20
02-10-2004, 06:32 PM
this sucks. i may have lost time with my best friend because this wreck scared him. he flipped over frontwards. it's about the only time i see him anymore is when we're riding. he just bought a lot of new parts and was going to race with me this year. now he's talking about selling it all. who knew?? wish i could change his mind...
he's definitely selling now. getting a utility. parting the z out.

just getting opinions.

derekhonda
02-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear, never fun losing riding buddies, im kinda in the on a fence with one of my friends, hes changed for the worse and has been lyin to me and doing some other things so i may be out a riding buddy too. We are only 2 hours apart might have to meet up sometime

02-10-2004, 06:51 PM
I have been scared after some wrecks, too the point of just trying to regain my breath and shaking like a mother f*&%^$#er. But i have yet to quit and probably never will, after a wreck sometimes i just wanna try whatever i was doing and do it right and conquer it, or get the hell away from whatever happened and never do it again. and after every wreck the first thing i do no matter how mcuh it hurts, get up, run to my bike and see whats wrong, then i realize how much pain i am in and fall down or start yellin some "choice" words.. Kinda wierd..:confused:

cliq20
02-10-2004, 07:01 PM
i got a lot of response on z400central to this topic too. it's upsetting. we'll have to go riding sometime. he was going to go racing with me this year and everything. talk about a complete 180. now no one to race with. he was really bruised but it scared him. nothing broken. buying stuff to race then selling everything for a utility...

go figure.

his boss even said he was stupid for riding. like you can't get hurt on a bike or basketball or lifting.

i was not very happy.

when it's your time to go, you could be playing tiddlywinks, when it's that time you have no choice...
shouldn't keep you from living and doing what you want to do.

Toadz400
02-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Ah crashing always sucks, but if he's quitting just because he crashed once just means that he was never meant to ride. I hate the feeling after I crash, stomach feels like it's trying to jump out your throat, you can barely breathe, adrenaline is rushing, but the one thing I always worry about is my quad...every single time I've crashed I've gotten up and ran to my quad to see how it is...then I collapse...lol, even ask Flying#5....he's seen it happen twice so far, lol...man I miss the summer:D

Well sucks you're losing a riding partner, just means you'll have to make new friends. Or else move to Wisconsin and come riding with some real riders:cool:

sweet300ex
02-10-2004, 07:34 PM
I hope he decides to stick with it, flipping fowards is the scariest type of wreck.

2000th post:blah:

02-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Or else move to Wisconsin and come riding with some real riders:cool: im on my way ;)

redrunner
02-10-2004, 07:51 PM
I got that feeling rolling over the bars as the front end dipped into a rut and the backend came over going down black #91 at H/M. Half the weight of the bike came down on my shoulder, buried me pretty good. Bad news was another 30 plus miles to get back to camp. Bent bars, busted plastic, wobbling wheel shoulder too sore and numb to hang on. What was the first thing I did when we got back, shook it off and fixed it to ride the next day. You have to decide what chances you want to take. I rode street for years and years laying down and riding to the max until close calls and friends biting it scared me off of them grinders. Well then back to the roots of riding, the dirt.:macho

400EX_Kid_03
02-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Wow... on the topic of flipping over forwards... just did it today! Was heading for some trees in deep snow, just off the trail, locked up the front brakes, flipped over 1 1/2 times... quad landed upside down, i landed about 4 feet from it! Nothings broke, I was fine, but it sure scared the ****E outa me!
I hope your friend sticks with it! I used to race Go-Karts, and the first time i flipped one of those, I slid on my helmet for about 100 feet upside down.... got the kart back over, and kept racing

Nausty
02-10-2004, 08:01 PM
yea i've seen that a lot! Specially w/ a lot of people who get really cocky thinking they are invincable to then get in a really bad accident and want to give it all up.

Be careful guys, wear your helmets!

Narly R
02-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Well no offense or anything, but he needs to toughen up and relize that he is going to crash, just be careful, and dont be all like "ohh i can do that" (if you cant). I have crashed MANY times..... along with every other person on this site.

ultimate2girl
02-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
Well no offense or anything, but he needs to toughen up and relize that he is going to crash, just be careful, and dont be all like "ohh i can do that" (if you cant). I have crashed MANY times..... along with every other person on this site.

ya listen to him he crashes all the time ( so do i )
but the hardest time to ride is right after you crash cuse you think omg what if i do it agian,but you have to get on and just do and then your like well its not that bad

cliq20
02-10-2004, 08:40 PM
the funny thing is that we all have wrecked before (not very often forwards) and kept on riding.
he says he's scared for his little girl and what could happen. but if you don't have that covered you're not thinking anyway.

we've been riding together for at least 5 years and it seems like it would be harder than that to give it up. almost like he was looking for a reason to quit. (as one of my buddies suggested). who knows. all i know is that i have some mixed feelings. like i'm mad at him but i have no right. its his life.

if i didn't have riding i don't know what i would do.

BTW, we ride pretty hard down here in southern indiana too...

;)

Gillbilly
02-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Im 39 cant count how many wrekz ive had,will say not to many that didnt scare me some just more than others.The only one that made me stop ridin was on a crotch rocket so now I stay off the street.

RH1N08d9
02-10-2004, 08:55 PM
He should think about it, and maybe keep riding, but stay away from racing. He should at least take it easy, and just cruise for a while until he's ready to try it agian!

Mr.Offroad
02-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Man, that sucks. I've crashed more times than I can count, some pretty horrific. It's like getting thrown off a bull, you make yourself get back on. If he does, he doesn't have to ride like he was when that happened. He can gradually pick the pace back up as time goes by. I had 2 little girls when I was riding that way. You ride with them in the back of your mind, but don't totally alter your behavior. Now my girls are 16 and 18, and guess what their favorite sport is? You got it, quadding! Everybody dies, not everybody lives.

dirtmomma
02-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Thats too bad about your buddy!! This summer I was riding our 400 & was goin up on a huge berm at a gravel pit & somehow didn't get the wheels turned & slammed into an embankment & over the bars I went & the quad went flippin down the hill :eek: (MY 1ST WRECK) I jumped up & said "I'M OK" but then I sat down right away to collect my marbles!! It really freaked my son out, & he's all Mom I'll ride the 400 back & I'm said NOPE I gotta get back on!!! But I havne't rode it since cuz all my husband did was ****** about wrecking it :rolleyes: :grr: OH I guess he did ask me if i was ok but I think he was more concered about his f'ing quad:mad: NOW this many months later we wetn riding Sunday & he tried to tell me he thinks when I wrecked it I screwed the tranny up???????????? I was like WHATEVER!! He cracks me up sometimes LOL

But I hope you friend gets back on!!!!

cliq20
02-10-2004, 09:18 PM
i hope he gets back on too. it sounds like he's getting a utility and putting around in the future (like they are easier to get downhill). he's afraid he'll ride crazy on a quad with a sport, the thing is he wasn't riding that hard nor doing anything stupid at the time. the wreck could have happened on the ute just as easily with more weight being thrown on him.

kinda confused am i...

gotta keep on pluggin on.

he also was only bruised deeply and not even close to serious...

mxdave28
02-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Ok so like, does your buddy think that by getting rid of the Z and buying a utility that there will be no chance of him flipping that thing over??? :rolleyes: Hmmm if it were up to me i would rather flip a 350lb quad forwards then a 600lb quad.:blah: tell him to relax, chit happends....tell him there is a chance that he will be killed crossing the street to get his mail too...maybe he will stop getting it:rolleyes:

02-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by sweet300ex
flipping fowards is the scariest type of wreck especially since it happens so fast and you dont have time to bail. i know from experience. but if your friend get a utility and flips it, its gonna hurt him a whole lot more since the weigh more.

cliq20
02-11-2004, 09:28 AM
i don't know what he's thinking on that part.
i've told him there are many ways he can get hurt or killed and not all of them are necessity (mailbox walking and driving). lifting, skiing, motorcycles (which i stay off of but ride as fast as i can through the trees - dirt or asphalt - which is softer?), jet skis, etc.

like i said, almost like he was looking for a way out. everything will kill or hurt you in some sense, cigarettes, cars, bicycles, food, you name it but if you lived afraid of getting hurt then you wouldn't do anything.

a man needs a recreation and this is mine and used to be his.

oh well.

02-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Tell your buddy that it hurts just as bad when you wreck a ute. Sounds like he needs to take up sewing or something..:o

MOFO
02-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Tell your buddy that it hurts just as bad when you wreck a ute. Sounds like he needs to take up sewing or something..:o

I think sewing might be too dangerous too... I've seen friends in HS get needles stuck through their finger...

:D ;)

bigboy03
02-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Hey guy, I hate to hear that your buddy is giving up. I know whats its like to wreak and have flipped a utility back on top of myself a couple times, but I got up dusted off got back on that quad and rode that dang hill. I wasn't going to let the hill win. Maybe your buddy will decide to get back on and over come. Hope he does. Good Luck.:macho

cliq20
02-11-2004, 11:30 AM
it's not like he's never wrecked before, he's always the one to get back on and try till conquered but not this time.

it was all or nothing. over, on one wreck when he's been in many accidents.

i'm still confused unless he just was looking to get out. sick of wife nagging or not having time to ride and found his way out so he didn't get a lot of flack from everyone...

jcsact
02-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Sometimes your priorities change. Does sound like he was looking for an excuse to get rid of the sport bike and I can some what understand. But it doesn't sound like he has given up riding totally he just needs a change.

I will race with you as much as I can and what time and money will allow cliq. :D Doesn't look like the Z is going to sell any way.:p

QuadMatt
02-11-2004, 12:55 PM
I have a friend who, back a couple years ago, wanted to join us in quadding. First he bought a beater lt250r, but shortly after got a zilla. This guy had a couple street bike wrecks already, but he had to have the fastest quad.

Long story short, after being helivac'd out of the woods cuz he was trying to keep up with someone who was a much better rider, he has retired the zilla. BTW, its for sale.

Moral? Some people are not meant to ride. Part of riding is respecting the machine and your own limitations. I love the honda ad "Stupid Hurts". Also, a part of riding, or many other sports, is knowing how to crash. Some people can get tossed and shake it off. Some people get scared and stiffen up, then break a bone.

Ill stop there cuz i dont like long posts.

bansheerider_13
02-11-2004, 01:04 PM
what ever you do. do not try and push him back to riding before hes ready because if he is riding and only worrying about getting hurt he will get hurt trust me i know this just let him get things back together and he'll come around sooner or later but to push him back into it

cliq20
02-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by jcsact
Sometimes your priorities change. Does sound like he was looking for an excuse to get rid of the sport bike and I can some what understand. But it doesn't sound like he has given up riding totally he just needs a change.

I will race with you as much as I can and what time and money will allow cliq. :D Doesn't look like the Z is going to sell any way.:p .

i guess they change but you don't need an excuse like a wreck. just change to a utility if you want. i don't even know if he'll be at the next MTR meeting and he's supposed to be secretary.

we'll see. that'll be great to ride with ya. it should be a blast. you're right, it'll probably be hard to sell the z now. i'm going to keep mine for at least another year and buy one of the pro's (or one decked out) quad after the season is over for a steal. they all sell for cheap. i might go YFZ though...
unless suzuki has one by then. i'm not too impressed with the honda. i like a lower center of gravity...

i won't try to push him either. it's his life. i have guys to race with but only GNCC's. i kinda want to race the small ones and the close GNCC's. my wife was wanting someone to go with too.

i agree with the stupid hurts. i can see you getting hurt doing something stupid and then it being hard to keep a job or something but accidents will happen anywhere. and, you're right, you have to know how to wreck. there is a uncanny "grace" to it so that you don't hurt yourself worse...

MOFO
02-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by cliq20
sick of wife nagging

I got $20 that says this has alot to do with it. I've seen it happen first hand... :D

remlapr
02-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Cliq - sorry to hear about your buddy. No worries about racing, you can hang with the kentuckyriders crew at the local races. I had probably my worst wreck ever on a quad last weekend myself. Clipped a try turning back uphill on an off-camber and went up on two wheels then the front tire dug in and I went over the bars and down the hill. Landed pretty hard, rolled over just in time to see my quad flipping towards me. It landed on me pretty hard and pinned me against a tree. My helmet was litterally stuck between a tire and the tree. I got up and rode the rest of the day but couldn't hardly move for the next couple of days. I had two bruised up legs and a nice bruise on my ribs on the side where the quad landed on me.

I'm far from the fastest out of the people I ride with, but I figure if I just use my head and just try to ride and race as hard as I can and not worry about anyone else I'll be O.K. I think that's all you can do...

brian-250
02-11-2004, 04:53 PM
utiltys HURT!,i got my wrist smashed between my bars and a rock after rolling down a hill i wanted to cry,but i took a break and climbed the hill with all i had, my buddy said that if he did that hed ride double to the hospitile,broke it in 2 places and had a hell of a bruise for a month!:eek2: it was only a couple miles to the house but the way it felt it was 20,sorry to hear bout him not riding but chit happens get up,dust youself off and ride like hell my 2c/t worth:macho

xr50layke
02-11-2004, 05:21 PM
last time i crashed was on an XR100 goin full out down a straight muddy trail and i dumped the bike, i got up, mad, because i was covered in mud, i even laughed, nothing wrong with the bike.

the worst UTE wreck was...on my friend tim's quad (xr50tim he is a regular) i was riding his quad in the woods with him on the back and i tried to go alongside a big mudpit, but the tire hit a tree, got traction and climbed right up it, and his 99 arctic cat 300 4x4 rolled over on its side into the mudpit. tim's leg was caught in the water and couldnt get up, i was panicing, i was still in shock of what the heck happened. we also lost our shoes lmfao, good times. guess how i got the 620lbs beast on all 4's? i took the winch, wired it thru the metal floorboards and tied it to a tree and turned on the winch, constantly putting pressure on the one side of the wire so it wouldnt eat thru the floorboard. took less than 2 minutes. how smart am i. all that time we are thinking "oh god what will we tell ur dad man"....i havnt crashed into anything on a dirtbike, but iv done a catwalk and fallen back, iv dumped my bike 5 times, dude, im addicted, i cant stop, it will stop me before i will stop myself.

btw, he wants to roll over a UTE on him rather than a Z????

this is one of the reasons i want a dirtbike, i like how they are faster/smaller/somewhat safer.

cliq20
02-11-2004, 07:03 PM
is see a lot of wrecks and not a lot of people who are selling. wonder the real motive. can't just give up unless you can't go anymore.

hard to tell what will push a man over the edge.

i keep hitting this wreck thread but i'm ready to race!

Adrenalinerush
02-12-2004, 08:59 AM
i think that we all know how it feels to wreck and then not wanting to do it agian or if your friend wrecks and then dosen't want to ride like that any more. that sucks. my friend is kinda that way butb he don't stop ridin he just stops doing the stuip crazy **** it do:blah: but srry to hear that man

hondarider2006
02-12-2004, 09:18 AM
sorry to hear that man. Keep talking to him, maybe he will change his mind?;)

Moded86R
02-12-2004, 11:50 AM
I think your buddy was just looking for a way out.I have flipped forwards many times.It never made me want to stop riding.Not one time after I get up from wrecking have I ever even thought about quitting.I don't think I've thought about quitting.I've loved it for almost 14 years now.

Like someone else said.Some people aren't meant to ride.

I think I am going to enjoy my new slip on again.This thing runs alot better!

roostin_dale
02-12-2004, 08:25 PM
he must have sumthin else on his mind besides the wreck. If he really wanted to he would still ride.

A couple years ago i wrecked and i was in the hospital for a couple nights. The day i came home i was laying in my room watching TV and my dad came in and asked "So i guess you are ready to sell everything, huh? Should i put it up for sale?"

all my reply was "Heck no, that was a sissy crash!"
-he smiled and walked out

Just a little modivation for him

Michael18
02-12-2004, 09:10 PM
EB was that your brother that wrecked. jared was saying something to me about it, and said he heard it was pretty scary. maybe he will change his mind. Hey if you want to go to the local races, you can go with me, thats all i am going to race this year. the casey series and district 15 and some local GNCC's. i am talking jared into it i think he and hooty and maybe even lewis is going to race some of the casey races and district 15. i have almost got my quad completely together all my parts are in and i am going to try and have my motor in monday night, and have it together. you still havent heard what i am building? have you? i think you will prob like it. i decided to finally build a Z instead of the honda. i will let you know when it is done. Jared has been nagging on me to get it finished so we can all get together and ride. later, Malott