PDA

View Full Version : Stiff clutch Question!!!!

nikejoe
02-10-2004, 05:39 PM
My clutch on my 2001 400ex seems really hard to pull in. It has some aftermarket lever and pertch on it. Which was installed before I got the quad. The clutch seems to work fine, but I get tired of pulling it in after a couple hours of hard riding. (Maybe I'm just a WUSS?)

But seriously,
Could this be because the cable is just worn out or do you guys think that the aftermarket clutch lever and pertch would make it harder to pull? If all I need is a cable, do you reccomend an aftermarket one or just a stock replacment one???

Thanks for the info!!!:huh

ewalker302
02-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Try lubing the cable first, if this dosent work you prob need a new cable.
An aftermarket perch and lever shouldnt make the clutch any harder to pull than stock.
I've seen motion pro clutch cables on e-bay for around $20, I think thats about the same price you will pay from honda.

:bandit:

Bill Fuller
02-10-2004, 05:50 PM
I agree,time for a new cable.Cable lube will probably fix the problem you are having but you might as well replace the old cable before it breaks on you ,not that expensive and your forearm will thank you;)

02-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
I agree,time for a new cable.Cable lube will probably fix the problem you are having but you might as well replace the old cable before it breaks on you ,not that expensive and your forearm will thank you;)

I agree with the man that knows more about stiff items than anybody..:D

redryder4life
02-11-2004, 10:57 AM
talk to some people about it because i cannot remember but its either a 250r or a (ewwwwww) cr250 cable for it they pull really easy

AndrewRRR
02-11-2004, 12:28 PM
After you've lubed and/or replaced the cable, if it's still hard might want to check what clutch springs are in it.

Craig02
02-11-2004, 02:35 PM
have you adjusted your pull? you should have some play in the lever.

hondarider2006
02-11-2004, 03:11 PM
when my clutch lever got really hard to pull in, I tried lubing it, and it helped for a little while, but not long. So I just got a regular stock cable to replace it, and that was my problem. I have heard that the motion pro cables(I think thats there name:confused: ) are suposed to be really good!!

Bill Fuller
02-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I agree with the man that knows more about stiff items than anybody..:D Hey I represent that!!:cuss: :blah:

Berry
02-11-2004, 05:22 PM
mine was stiff yesterday and i got some WD 40 and sprayed on the end of it i dont know what its called but sray up in there and pull it back a few times you will tell the difference and its free!

nikejoe
02-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I oiled the cable yesterday and it seemed to help very little. I started looking at it a little closer and it looks like it has been up against the header. I think it was out of the holder that holds it between the header, I has a pretty good size groove melted deep into the cable cover.

So I guess I will be checking for a motion pro cable. Thanks for all the advice!!!:eek:

Berry
02-12-2004, 02:50 PM
when you get your new one, be shure too wrap it with a type of heat shield!

sandspanker
02-12-2004, 08:23 PM
;) stock cable is 10.58 at service honda prob. a coupple buckes more a your local dealer.:p

AndrewRRR
02-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by sandspanker
;) stock cable is 10.58 at service honda prob. a coupple buckes more a your local dealer.:p

Yeah mine ran $15 at the rediculous prices at my local Satan (dealer). That was for a genuine honda one (whoopity-doo). I'd probably get a motion pro terminator cable if your dealer carries them.

zlam27
02-13-2004, 12:22 PM
ATTENTION: i have found the reason the clutch gets hard to pull....

this was my problem and i imagine it happens to lots of other people. the clutch cable pulls against the collar and wears into it. where the collar fits into the clutch perch and holds the cable, look at the hole where the cable protrudes from the collar. this is probably where most lube their clutch cable also. mine was worn into this collar so the hole was closer to an "0" than a "O" shape. if you have a hard clutch pull, this could quite possibly be the problem.

zach