PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Race Gas?

330R PowerValve
02-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Is anyone running race gas in their 450r. Is there any benifit to run it besides its cleaner and will run cooler?

schmitthead
02-10-2004, 07:46 PM
if you want to buy a engine go ahead and run it. you dont need race gas until you get a compression ratio higher than 12.5-1. the trx's compression is 10.5-1 or real close to that.

BigThumper33
02-10-2004, 07:57 PM
compression ratio will not clearly tell you when you need to start running higher octane fuel. Compression PSI is what really tells you if you are getting close to the threshold.

joe1l
02-10-2004, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE]if you want to buy a engine go ahead and run it. /QUOTE]

What does this mean? To my knowledge race gas doesn't have any negative effects on motors that don't have enough compression to support the higher octane, most race fuels have lubricating properties which end up being good for the motor...bad for the environment.

schmitthead
02-10-2004, 10:23 PM
burnt valves ring a bell

BigThumper33
02-10-2004, 10:29 PM
your not going to burn valves from running race fuel. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Race fuel takes a higher compression before it will preignite. If anything, the race fuel might not completely burn up upon ignition.

:rolleyes:

RENNIEJ
02-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Only running a leaded race fuel and ti valves will you have a problem. The lead will destroy the valves. ti retainers are ok though

BIGRED400
02-11-2004, 03:30 PM
I run 100 Octane in my 11:1 416, the only thing race gas does it has a cooler burn, I am going to 50/50 next tank , I've read where you get a better flame quench across the top of the piston because of lower octane, unless you need it , your wasting money, anything over 10.5 , I feel you should boost it up, pre-detenation is what'll kill a motor , (hi- compression.low octane)

rtyfz450
02-11-2004, 03:40 PM
runnig race gas won't kill your engine but you could actually loose power instead. the reason to use higher octane fuel is to compensate for the compression that you add when you modify your bike. Lower octane fuel will give you predetonation with higher compression because the compression is to great for the fuel and causes it to combust before the spark plug fires. the opposite applys with lower compression and higher octane fuel the fuel will not burn completely with the lower compression and this will give you less power. What do you mean by race gas? Do you mean something like ultimate 4 or c12? or 76 racing fuel or sunco? Unlimate 4 is 95 octane and will be fine to run in your bike but don't expect to gain any preformance that you will notice. you might run a little cooler but its effects are nominal. c12 is 105 and is way to much octane for your bike, you will probably loose power. sunco and 76 is about the same they usually have two grades 110 and 112 and sometimes you can find 115 which is really worthless for anyquad with compression under 15:1 or greater.

RENNIEJ
02-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Ultimate 4 (and Nutec, MR2 and MR1) and C12 are completely different types of fuel. C12 is a leaded race fuel with a motor octane of around 105 while Ultimate 4 is a oxygenate fuel. When you run ultimate 4 you need to jet up 1-2 main jets and possibly you pilot or slow jet. Ultimate 4 will produce more horsepower (probably only able to tell on the dyno) when jetted correctly, c12 most likely will not on a stock motor.

rtyfz450
02-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Actually lead is an oxygenator and that is why it is used in fuel. Lead raises the octane rating in the fuel. ultimate 4 is different only in that it just uses MTBE as an oxygenator which was in California gas until this year. Jet changes are a necessity in any fuel change regardless of oxygenator.

thank you though for correcting me on the ron octane rating for c12 it is 105 .

4FIDDYRHRC
02-15-2004, 12:59 AM
joe1l:huh GEEZE hey on the octane ratings someone is smokin rope.. read this first then look at the answer.. say you have 84 oct and then you have 100 oct. fuel.. ok which one burns faster??.......................................... .................................. well believe it or not the 84 would. but it burns so quickly and is not as clean it produces less power. as far as the 100 oct fuel it burns slower but but more thourghly producing more power. and that aint b.s.

alias
02-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Last summer a buddy of mine put a full bottle of octane boost in a pretty small fuel cell for a street drag car, it ran like total sh1t untill he replaced the fuel with normal octane gas.

02-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by alias
Last summer a buddy of mine put a full bottle of octane boost in a pretty small fuel cell for a street drag car, it ran like total sh1t untill he replaced the fuel with normal octane gas. my friend did the same thing...that stuff is total shiit