PDA

View Full Version : Shift lever position

RIDER11X
02-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Has anyone had the need to raise their shift lever position on their 400ex to get better shifts with riding boots? I am havinf problems with not dropping my foot low enough to release the shirt lever between upshifts.

JOEX
02-09-2004, 11:48 PM
I belive most do. The previous owner of mine had riding boots and I had to move the lever back to the stock position to accomodate regular work boots.

Joe

2004TRX450R
02-10-2004, 12:14 AM
I haven't heard of many or any that have had to do it. How do you sit on the seat? I usually sit as far forward as possible. This puts more weight over the front and also makes your toes want to point down more wich will make shifting easier.

LazeR
02-10-2004, 01:00 AM
I have riding boots and no problem shifting.....Just took some getting used to but now i can shift just fine :)

02-10-2004, 06:44 AM
I had to move mine up 2 splines...:eek2: For one my boots were too thick and when I added peg extenders it raised my foot up even more. Theres no way in hell I could shift up if it was at the stock position. Move it however you need so that you can shift comfortably, it won't hurt anything to move it.

RIDER11X
02-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I had to move mine up 2 splines...:eek2: For one my boots were too thick and when I added peg extenders it raised my foot up even more. Theres no way in hell I could shift up if it was at the stock position. Move it however you need so that you can shift comfortably, it won't hurt anything to move it.

You know that must be what changed also. I got new Thor boots with the ATV soles and had trouble Shifting this past Sunday, blaming the new boots, but I welded my Derisi extenders on my pegs over a month ago and never rode it since. This 1/4 higher peg, by my choice, with the boots must have made the difference.:eek: I bumped it up the least I could which was about 3/8 of an inch.
Did I also mention I got size 15 feet?:rolleyes: :D

AndrewRRR
02-10-2004, 01:07 PM
I had to move the one on my R up a spline to clear my riding boots, not much room between the nerf nets and the shifter with boots on.
I run the one on the banshee kinda high since I sit back on the seat a ways when drag racing.
Just move it to where ever is comfortable for you.

310Rduner
02-10-2004, 03:32 PM
I have mine moved up a spline or two to accomodate for my boots. I think moving the shifter is just as important as moving the throttle and brake lever forward if you ride standing up all the time. Changing it around can make you a lot more comfortable on your bike.

Glamis400ex
02-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Yes, definately move it up 1 spline. My uncle saw a guy break his ankle going over a razorback dune. The guy got new boots but didn't move his shifter up and needed to scoot too far forward to be able to shift. This in turn ended up making him point his toes too far down...up and over the dune and SNAP.....you get the idea.

Glamis

AndrewRRR
02-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
Yes, definately move it up 1 spline. My uncle saw a guy break his ankle going over a razorback dune. The guy got new boots but didn't move his shifter up and needed to scoot too far forward to be able to shift. This in turn ended up making him point his toes too far down...up and over the dune and SNAP.....you get the idea.

Glamis

OUCH!!! That makes my ankle hurt just thinking about it

hondafreestyler
02-12-2004, 07:43 PM
i had to move mine

Redride11
02-12-2004, 08:03 PM
I jst wanted to be kool and say i moved mine up too. . . . really:o

redrunner
02-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Even though I have a 300, last winter I moved mine up 2 splines to allow for snowmobile boots and found it to be a great position for regular riding with my new riding boots.;)