PDA

View Full Version : Stock setup for MX???

jshtex
02-27-2002, 12:31 PM
I am sure sure this has all been asked before but....

1. Can you run wheel spacers on the back. I realize this would not be perfect but my rear axle is still in good shape. So can I put on a 1 or 1.5 inch spacer and get the added stability?

2. I have seen a few bikes with their front wheels reversed so that the larger offset is to the outside to make the front end wider. IS that ok?

3. Considering a rider weight of 175 lbs. What should I do the the original shocks, front and rear. What I mean is should I set the fronts as stiff as possible or as weak as possible. And what can I do in the back?

Thanks for any input my son is going to start MXing next weekend.

02-27-2002, 01:29 PM
170 pound rider with rear spacers is probably not a good idea,,unless he's not a big jumper,,,pm redrider ex,,,,,,,,he makes spacers for the 400ex out of aluminum I beleive front and back. Your better off with an aftermarket Axle.

Leave the wheels alone,,,get the spacers if anything,,I used front spacers for a full race season and they held up perfect,,I weigh 200 lbs.

set the front shock preload to i say medium or 2nd from the softest,,,on the rear shock,,turn the compression all the way in and back out 1/2 to 3/4 turn,,that should give him a smooth ride and also soak up any jumps he hits..

also,,welcome to the site and if your sons getting into MX,,be prepared to spend alot of $$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,stuff will break and go bad when MX racing..:D

400MXer
02-27-2002, 02:27 PM
once you flip your front rims, your going to be going through tie rods pretty fequently.

Mitch400EX
02-27-2002, 03:15 PM
Ditto on preparing to spend a lot of $$$. If you don't have them already get some nerfs. Even the cheap ones can save you and your bike from serious damage.

Rico, when you added front wheel spacers did it affect your front suspension very much?

02-28-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Mitch400EX
Rico, when you added front wheel spacers did it affect your front suspension very much?

Not at all,,,just added width,,but the suspension was fine..

Mitch400EX
02-28-2002, 08:36 PM
I figured that the added width the spacers give might put enough leverage on the shocks to make them bottom out easier. Thanks for the info though I'm going to try this mod. much cheaper than aftermarket a-arms.