PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin Wiring kit for yfz

Pappy
02-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Baldwin Motorsports sent me thier wiring kit and Pro Design kill switch to try out. The kit doesn't usually include the kill switch but for the sake of this review it was sent.

Pappy
02-09-2004, 07:15 PM
After removal of the front fenders, you must remove the left front gas tank bolt. The kit includes a new, longer bolt and nut to attach the ground wire.

Pappy
02-09-2004, 07:21 PM
The directions were fool proof and well detailed. After i located the correct connection, it was as simple as connecting the new harness. Then attach the ground wire to the underneath of the gas tank bolt and secure with the provided nut. Route your wires and make certain they arent going to interfere with the steering. Re-install the front plastic and your done.

With this kit there is no hacking into your wiring harness. Painless wiring at its best. You will need wire crimpers to attach the male and female connectors for the ground and positive wire to the kill switch.

The entire procedure took 15 minutes..and the best part, it worked:p

Pappy
02-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Baldwin Motorsports also included thier billet bar clamp that mounts the kill switch. Installing it is pretty straight forward and allows for a trick spot to mount the kill switch.

Pappy
02-09-2004, 07:26 PM
They also sent along a Baldwin case saver to keep me outta trouble when the stock chain breaks. It fit like a glove and should preform as intended.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-09-2004, 07:28 PM
pretty nifty setup ya got there;)

seatec
02-09-2004, 07:31 PM
When do you suggest that people should wire one of these in? MX, Xc or when you race period?

Pappy
02-09-2004, 07:32 PM
I think Mark got carried away and sent me almost every part he makes for the yfz:p

The PEP chain roller relocator was a surprise to me. i hadnt heard of any issues with the stock one but they explained that its thier expierence to raise its mounting point. The point is to relocate it to avoid continued damage from hard landings. i hope i can get to test it out, i usually dont go big but the yfz feels pretty good i might just have to give her some air time.

Installation took all of 5 minutes and looks clean when installed.

Before:

Pappy
02-09-2004, 07:35 PM
The PEP relocator raises the roller a good inch from the stock position

Rear View:

Pappy
02-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by seatec
When do you suggest that people should wire one of these in? MX, Xc or when you race period?

any racing body requires a kill tether to be installed. GNC or GNCC and most local districts follow this rule.

i purchase the parts i review. they are not given free. infact i bought arens nerfs outside of arens so i could be completely impartial.

Wingnut
02-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
The PEP chain roller relocator was a surprise to me. i hadnt heard of any issues with the stock one but they explained that its thier expierence to raise its mounting point. The point is to relocate it to avoid continued damage from hard landings. i hope i can get to test it out, i usually dont go big but the yfz feels pretty good i might just have to give her some air time.

Installation took all of 5 minutes and looks clean when installed.

Before:

You shouldn't have to go very big. Mine has never seen a MX track, but the roller still has a surprising amount of wear on it.

Got any pictures of it from the side?

Pappy
02-09-2004, 08:26 PM
from the inside just for wingnut:p

Pappy
02-09-2004, 08:29 PM
side view

Wingnut
02-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks Pappy, I might just have to try one of those.

Quad18star
02-09-2004, 08:34 PM
What would be the grand total on all the stuff he's sent you so far ? I really like the idea of not having to hack into wires , since I'm not good with electical stuff . Will his bar clamp work with over sized bars??So much stuff to buy , so little $$ to buy it all with . I haven't even made the first payment on the quad yet and I'm already looking at spending way too much money on it . I think I'm gunna have to hold off until my surgery is over and done with and I'm back to work before i start spending the endless $$ on the quad . Keep posting the informative stuff . Great to know about a product before buying it .... and know of someone that had tried it out .

Pappy
02-09-2004, 08:39 PM
i wish i could tell you what i paid, but i havent a clue:eek: there wasnt reciept in the box so either he hooked me up or ill find out when my credit card bill arrives:p

all in all its pretty resonable. im not the greatest with electronics either and i did this with ease. well worth the money when i find out what that is:D

the relocator, well im certain it isnt too expensive. and if the yfz eats rollers then i geuss you can figure out how many you need to eat before it would pay for itself:)

and for the sticker monkeys out there...Baldwin includes a ton of stickers with each part!!!

Quad18star
02-09-2004, 09:33 PM
LOL ..... I can just imagine given a company my credit card # and tell them to just charge whatever parts they send me . Probably end up getting a 6000 dollar Visa bill or something .

Good to know that the killswitch was easy to install . I usually frown away from electrical stuff cuz either A. I wire soemthing wrong and it doesn't work or B. I wire soemthing up and soemthing ends up blowing up .

I'm for sure going to need a case saver ... looked at the one on the 450 and it looks WEAK!!!

I wish i had $$ to be able to buy everything in one shot and have it all over with . I see all these sweet parts on the market ... then I look in the bank account and I see a 10 000$ debt ... Haven't even made the first payment yet :(

YAY for the free stickers also !!!!Guaranteed 3 HP increase or atleast that's what Ive been told !!

xcyfz450
02-09-2004, 09:33 PM
i just made a nice rear brake fluid holder relocator out of a old 250r nacs rear brake master cylinder guard i just need to get it anodized red like the frame once i find someone who does anodizing if i could figure out how to post pics i would but i got no clue lol

Crazy Honda
02-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Keep us posted on the pep chain relocator I heard of people needing to file down the allen bolt so the chain dosent hit it? Does it look like a problem?

Merriman
02-10-2004, 12:58 AM
I have a friend with a YFZ, and one dune trip it completely ate through the top roller because he did not have the relocator. The only thing left was the bearing, and shaft the roller sat on. The PEP relocator is pretty much a must have, and seems like a huge short fall on Yamaha's part to not correct this defficiency before the bike was released.

I've had the PEP relocator on my YFZ since July, and I have had no issues with my roller, or the allen head bolt securing it to the frame.

Pappy; you should also try the PEP extended clutch arm. It makes the stock clutch lever operation much smoother and easier to pull.

SRH
02-15-2004, 12:57 AM
i love that stock clutch lever, how much is the pep clutch arm?

dimnova36
03-06-2006, 07:41 PM
is this correct with the baldwin harness you can wire in a normally open tether to your yfz. i know the kill switch is a normall closed. is this true you can use the normally open kill with the baldwin wiring harness?

STEVENJANNA
03-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by dimnova36
is this correct with the baldwin harness you can wire in a normally open tether to your yfz. i know the kill switch is a normall closed. is this true you can use the normally open kill with the baldwin wiring harness?
No the Baldwin harness is a direct plug in with a grounding pigtail spliced into the harness. Pingel is the only company that I found that has a normally closed tether switch.

STEVENJANNA
03-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Picture of the connector.

STEVENJANNA
03-08-2006, 09:28 AM
WOW those pics. are huge sorry about that.:p

dimnova36
03-09-2006, 05:36 PM
ok so you don't need a tether and the baldwin adaptor just the adaptor. thanks a lot for the pics and explaination.