PDA

View Full Version : should i buy a 250ex?

xr50layke
02-09-2004, 05:27 PM
im 220lbs, i dont know if i should buy a 250ex, i wont be jumping it, id be trail riding it, could i buy a 250ex because i dont have enough for anything else, and throw some shocks on her? i dont like blasters, and im not sure why i would need to spend the extra money to get a 300ex, when im going to be trail riding, you can only use so much of a machine's power, my friends arctic cat 300 4x4 pulls me and him fine and it doesnt have much power lol, what do you think, remember, just casual trail riding and some play racing.

250EXking
02-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Go for it.

In my opinion, it's a bullet proof trail bike. Ive climbed some hills i didnt think i could make it up, but it did. It's not the most powerful, but it has some power to get you around. Yeah the shocks in the fron are terrible for me and i weigh 150 pounds. IF you get some new one's it'll work. i love the way it handles in the woods and goes through some mud, with some good tires on it. I have beat mine pretty good, and nothing wrong with it. MInes piped and jetted, great great trail maching, not to much on the jumping end. I'd go with it, really low mait. on it. :D

xr50layke
02-09-2004, 05:46 PM
who makes shocks for the 250ex? will the extra boingers put more stress on the frame if i decide to go faster and hit stuff? id want better shocks for a smoother ride and so i dont wear out the stockers, AND so i dont hurt anything else on the bike. remember, im not much into jumping, bad experiences. i want this bike to last a long time. i also like the bike because its light, shaft drive, its got reverse, its semi-auto (good for slow trails), and its a honda! i heard it was the wheelie king also. seriously, anything a step above my 82 KE100 will make me super dee dooper happy even if its a 250ex, as long as it doesnt break, im so happy, ask xr50tim, he knows what iv been thru with the bike! if the suspention can sustain my weight and be smooth at the same time, itll be fine. whats the top speed of it? id add some stuf flike a filter, pipe, cam, piston to make it faster

250EXking
02-09-2004, 05:51 PM
i know works makes shocks, and i think, but im not sure that elka does.... check on that. ive seem some stockers jump hard landings, but didnt hurt anything. dont do to much jumping and the frame will be fine. yeah the new shocks will most def. smooth out the of the bike, stockers arent to great. as for wheelies, as long as there is room i can ride them forever. um with my pipe and jet kit, airfilter and 22' razr's mine probably tops out at about 50 mph. not to bad for a lil machine. yeah if you have the money, just for the smooth rider go with the new shocks. great bike for the trails. i would def. get one. any info you need just pm me or post... good luck.

hondarider2006
02-09-2004, 06:02 PM
if I were you, I would save my money and get a 400ex for the trails, you will be much more happy;)

Bigg Pimpin
02-10-2004, 12:04 AM
I am 6' #210 and love mine. It's not the fastest thing out there but I can hold my own on the trails against most any 300 and some 400's. Top speed is somewhere between 50 and 55. I have really come to like the auto clutch too it has it's disadvantages but it's great for trails plus you can get a manual clutch later if you want it. The shaft drive is the #1 reason I chose it over the 300EX cause I am a lazy MF'er and don't like having to constantly mess with a chain. Pipe, filter and jet-kit really wakes it up too so plan on those mods. It handles jumps pretty well even with me on it I've had mine over 5' and still didn't bottom out on a flat landing. The only real complaint I have is the small gas tank and the sucky stock rear tires! :D

quadracer511
02-12-2004, 10:09 PM
i would deff say to go with it its a great little machine top speed i had mine clocked at with my gps when it was stock except for itp mudlites on the back was 51.7mph i have it piped and jetted and a k&n filter and now it tops out in the high 50's dont have exact since i did it but i can def notice the diff and if u really wanter to powroll makes a big bore kit for it for bout $350 and it rips from wut ive heard, as for socks both elka and works make shock both rebuildable but the elkas are better works are more budget shock elkas are lil more expensive and worth it tho but the works are still better than stock, well good luck man and let me no wut u decide to do.

Mr.Offroad
02-12-2004, 10:37 PM
I'm 195 lbs, and it handles me just great, and I use it on nothing but tight, rocky trails. Its size allows it to spank the larger quads in the narrow trails. I guess it's whatever you're used to, but I think the shocks work great for the type of machine it is. By the way, they're a wheelie animal!:blah:

Striker49
02-12-2004, 11:32 PM
All depends on what yer gonna do in the future. If you have any doubt at all in yer mind that you might possibly want a bigger machine then save for one now. I had an 01 model for nearly 2 years and it was bullet proof. Like they said around 52mph max. Good trail bike, but not great at stayin with 400s...wasnt fun chasing Rico down... :huh
Jumping...not great. Itll handle small jumps fine but dont do anything really big. I never modded mine aside from tires and nerfs which are a must for woods IMHO.
Right now, Id highly recommend buying a 400. One of my friends just picked up a Raptor at Christmas after owning a Beartracker. Another picked up a used 300ex, and two more are trading in a 240 blaster and lifted 300 fourtrax for 2 400s.
All together, our current riding/racing group has:
-2 Raptors
-1 KFX 400
-1 440ex
-3 400exs
-1 416ex
-1 426ex
-1 Banshee
-1 300ex
-1 450 Foreman
-2 350 Ranchers

Decision is yers, but take some time out and really sit down and think about the type of riding you are going to do and what yer friends ride. If you have access to different machines, ride em all and see what you think of each one before going out and buying something you dont know if youll really like or not.
Good luck dude. Youll have fun any way you go though.

xr50layke
02-13-2004, 12:36 AM
iv decided to buy a 250EX in the summer, then add the kit that you suggested for 350, pipe, filter, jet it, ect, then shocks.

this will be a good trail rider :) all my friends ride ute's and i spank them with my KE100 so ill mutilate them with a modded 250EX. 50mph is good for a 250, my friends bigbear 350 never gets out of 3rd on the trails and it goes 45mph. i think the 250EX will be so much fun :D my friends arctic cat 300 is like 50" wide or something and its so hard in the trails to manouver. if i had the money, 400ex i would buy, but since i wont, and i need a car, i better budget on something reliable (250EX).

thanks guys.

rollie
02-13-2004, 02:02 PM
yep get it but u should also look into the 300ex thats what i have and its moded up and its a great trail bike and very very reliable...and its got a CLUTCH!!!!!!!!:D

beak7707
02-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Yeah i think you would like a 300ex better. I have a good one for sell too.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/p04e4d5c7ca13c6a4e6fb8624c2fcace6/f9e7f429.jpg

web cam, rockers, springs, new valves. K&N filter, Full FMF exhaust, full skid plates, DG bumper, ceet graphics. The list goes on and on. $2,200

chucked
02-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
Yeah i think you would like a 300ex better. I have a good one for sell too.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/p04e4d5c7ca13c6a4e6fb8624c2fcace6/f9e7f429.jpg

web cam, rockers, springs, new valves. K&N filter, Full FMF exhaust, full skid plates, DG bumper, ceet graphics. The list goes on and on. $2,200
thats nice as crap

ZSK
02-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Reading all the posts I think you should consider the 300ex. Aftermarket used parts are pretty cheap. You can get built specific shocks, and the manual clutch really comes in handy if you know how to use it. Top speed is maybe a few miles an hour faster, than the 250ex. If you can ride it to the bikes capabilities it will keep up with and out run (I can) z400, 400ex, kfx400, raptor.

02-13-2004, 03:36 PM
go for it mines awesome for me and they are bullet proof only down side not a lot of after market parts for it

ridered250
02-13-2004, 08:35 PM
I have a 2001 250ex and I loved it up until about the last year or so when i decided i wanted to do more but i couldnt with the 250ex. and aftermarket parts are pretty hard to find for it. I would reccomend saving up your money and buying a 400ex thats what im doing now.

02-14-2004, 06:05 AM
:rolleyes: :huh

xr50layke
02-14-2004, 08:22 AM
iv decided to switch to the 300EX, i still have reverse, it goes faster, and purely the reason i switched is aftermarket parts availability. its like an inch wider than a 250EX LOL, who cares. thats even better. 300EX is the way to go. i already adjust my dirtbike chain, its too easy.