PDA

View Full Version : Ellis wins. Farr way back

Barely legal
02-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Interesting how no one is talking about GNC race #1.

Ellis, YFZ, first overall.

Farr, way back. 8th overall I think.

Just shocked there's no mention of it here.

Gust ran real good too.

86atc250r
02-08-2004, 10:59 PM
You mean GNC race?

I hadn't seen the results yet. What happened to Farr?

What's up with the sarcasm? Are you trying to instigate a flame fest?

jb500ex
02-08-2004, 11:02 PM
wow one of the 300 yfz's beat the one trx450r good for yamaha. if this bike wins the championship for the next 16 years it might be close too what honda has achieved barely legal

jb500ex
02-08-2004, 11:03 PM
now farr has won 3 out of 5 races not a bad winning percentage what has your top yammie guy done

Barely legal
02-08-2004, 11:04 PM
It's not sarcasm, it's bullet statements.

And a lot more than 1 YFZ beat the Honda.

No need getting mad. I'm just posting the results since they're not here.

86atc250r
02-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Just thought the wording was odd coming from a YFZ owner that's posted inflamitory stuff before...

Just got the feeling you were insinuating that you, a YFZ owner needed to rub in a loss.

Just an observation.

Sure would be nice if everyone just chilled on all the BS.. Makes visiting the forum much less enjoyable, especially if we have to put up with gloating by each side after every race....

Barely legal
02-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
now farr has won 3 out of 5 races not a bad winning percentage what has your top yammie guy done

It's just getting started. All the pros are competing now.

If it weren't for a bunch of ambulance chasing lawyers ruining ATV production by sueing everyone that manufactured them the 16 year old quad 250R would not have held up nearly as long. Do you agree?

It is a nice machine though, a legend, and about the only thing we've had to cling to for a long time.

QuadJunkies
02-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

Sure would be nice if everyone just chilled on all the BS.. Makes visiting the forum much less enjoyable, especially if we have to put up with gloating by each side after every race....

Yes.. it would be .......And alot easier for the moderators to not have to Edit so much...... :grr:

r450rr
02-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Barely legal
It's just getting started. All the pros are competing now.

If it weren't for a bunch of ambulance chasing lawyers ruining ATV production by sueing everyone that manufactured them the 16 year old quad 250R would not have held up nearly as long. Do you agree?

It is a nice machine though, a legend, and about the only thing we've had to cling to for a long time.

nah, i am pretty sure the 250R would have held up as long as it has,, i mean even with these two great new machines,"16 yrs later" the 250 is still going to be winnin races,,

JOEX
02-09-2004, 03:05 AM
No need getting mad. I'm just posting the results since they're not here.
Check the race coverage section;) :)

Joe

Guy400
02-09-2004, 04:59 AM
Interesting how no one is talking about GNC race #1.Could fooled me :huh

psst--Check the "Race Coverage" for details concerning racing results.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91437

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91223

thomez
02-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Does anyone know why Farr is continuing to have mechanical trouble? What is going so wrong?

The one time I witnessed him ride the machine he pushed it off the track also. I'm sure he isn't happy with the factory-backed problems if it is costing him races.

What do you guys think?

alberndt
02-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Does anyone know what happend to Creech in the second moto?

86atc250r
02-09-2004, 07:54 AM
What kinds of problems has he been having?

I think if he's having engine problems, Big Red will have a serious look at his mechanic & maybe switch to someone in-house....

Considering Honda's reputation, they won't put up with mechanical trouble for long.

nah, i am pretty sure the 250R would have held up as long as it has,, i mean even with these two great new machines,"16 yrs later" the 250 is still going to be winnin races

I doublt it. Had the YFZ and 450R came out in '92 - the 250Rs would be a rarity.

Why? Because stock or mildly 250Rs are a rarity. Had the 250R not been the only viable choice for so many years, the aftermarket would not have developed to the level it has & it would be just another quad.

Think about it. Had the 1989 CR250 been the last one produced, nothing replaced it, and none of the other brands had anything worth riding - it would have become the standard as well. The aftermarket would have developed & it would have been raced and would have dominated for years....

Pappy
02-09-2004, 08:01 AM
LAST TIME I CHECKED THE QUADS DIDNT DO NUTTIN BUT SIT THERE unless A RIDER PUT THEM TO WORK:confused:

you people need to give credit where credit is due and stop trying to find blame or fault with regards to being brand specific.

02-09-2004, 08:05 AM
Farr wrecked at the #1 GNC race of the year, he's racing with a broken finger and had mechanical problems. Still handed another 10+ YFZ owners their arses so back the flock up barelylegal, You have NO idea of what your talking about.

At the Texas GNCC the YFZ's broken down compared to all other quads were about 3/1

Maxx_Action
02-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
LAST TIME I CHECKED THE QUADS DIDNT DO NUTTIN BUT SIT THERE unless A RIDER PUT THEM TO WORK:confused:

you people need to give credit where credit is due and stop trying to find blame or fault with regards to being brand specific.

Si...

but it would be nice to know what types of issues he's having for all of these TRX owners out here...

Maxx

Pappy
02-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Maxx_Action
Si...

but it would be nice to know what types of issues he's having for all of these TRX owners out here...

Maxx

you can bet that if farr is having an issue we wont find out about it.

as hard as them guys push thier quads they will run into things most of us will never encounter. if its an issue related to a flaw or something honda can fix they will and then you can figure out why tim's quad keeps quiting. i saw a few yfz's getting pushed off the track in florida and other races so whats the beef:confused:

Maxx_Action
02-09-2004, 08:41 AM
you can bet that if farr is having an issue we wont find out about it.

as hard as them guys push thier quads they will run into things most of us will never encounter. if its an issue related to a flaw or something honda can fix they will and then you can figure out why tim's quad keeps quiting. i saw a few yfz's getting pushed off the track in florida and other races so whats the beef:confused:

You know...

if there were YFZ's gettin pushed off for MEch problems, I'd like to know what their problem was too. They push them hard, true, but I tend to rod the Shiatzu out of mine too in the woods and on the track, and it would be interesting to know if there are any inherant issues.

Maxx

Pappy
02-09-2004, 08:46 AM
yeah ,but from the posts im reading that there is a more "uh oh whats wrong with mr honda" then there is a general concern about a possible issue .
i too would love to be aware of any problems with anything i purchased, but there is a fine line between wanting info and wanting to "rub " a sore spot. i geuss we will see how corperate honda handles any issues when it happens infront of the cameras and spectators

thomez
02-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Hopefully you guys aren't thinking that 'I' am trying to rub any 'sore' spot. I was just wondering... and concerned for those buying the new machine. I understand everyone has bugs to work out, just curious as to what was going wrong. The delays because of a supposed problem, now Farr having trouble, you just get curious. No flaming intended, especially not coming from me. I might have the least reliable ATV of all time :blah: j/k

Pappy
02-09-2004, 08:55 AM
thomez....thats exactly my point. how tim farr and korry ellis run thier quads arent anywhere near what the average rider puts his quad thru.

i guess when i posted the picture of the yfz frame for common knowledge and got HAMMERED i learned all about seperation of the average rider and a pro:p

Maxx_Action
02-09-2004, 09:01 AM
yeah ,but from the posts im reading that there is a more "uh oh whats wrong with mr honda" then there is a general concern about a possible issue .
i too would love to be aware of any problems with anything i purchased, but there is a fine line between wanting info and wanting to "rub " a sore spot. i geuss we will see how corperate honda handles any issues when it happens infront of the cameras and spectators

I understand,

But I don't think you will find that from me. I have been one of the most neutral guys on this site. I think that both of these new entry are nice quads, it's just that the HOnda wasn't out when I went to buy one. Anyway, I promise to be good...

Maxx

Hawk III
02-09-2004, 09:23 AM
i do hope you all realize that the factory back riders aren't even running the same top end that we have purchased in the last couple of weeks...and will never be able to purchase what team honda has. Everyone doesn't need to get up in a wad because farr had mechanical troubles. The honda guys are probably going to have some problems early on, they haven't exactly had a very long time to perfect what they are doing yet. Give them time with the bike!!
But can we put to rest the old "LOLOLZZZ yamaha beat the honda, honda sucks" routine...it gets old hearing about it. both bikes own, just leave it at that

trx11t
02-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Did anyone notice the soud difference between Eichners 450R and Tim's? Tim's had a much different sound to it. I would have top say his bike sounded much closer to the CRF engines that were running in the other classes.
Eichners bike didn't sound nearly as powerful or as quick reving as Tim's.
I thought it was interesting. Tim must have some very trick parts on that bike. The only thing I could tell from the outside is that he is running the FCR carb but everything else looked pretty stock.

QuadJunkies
02-09-2004, 10:43 AM

you people need to give credit where credit is due and stop trying to find blame or fault with regards to being brand specific. AGREED TOTALLY!!!

gncc571
02-09-2004, 02:01 PM

Gust ran real good too.

Interesting that you didn't mention that Glen Helen is Korys home track also. just my 2 cents:)

02-09-2004, 02:09 PM
gncc571:
interesting that your stomping grounds is a place called Mule Town!!!!!!

So when do I get to ride the new quad and give my un by assed opinion????

Barely legal
02-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Farr wrecked at the #1 GNC race of the year, he's racing with a broken finger and had mechanical problems. Still handed another 10+ YFZ owners their arses so back the flock up barelylegal, You have NO idea of what your talking about.

At the Texas GNCC the YFZ's broken down compared to all other quads were about 3/1

That was the #1 GNC race of the year. And you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. "Back the flock up" Get over yourself.

More Hondas might show up but beating 10 Yami's that are not factory sponsored and being beat by 10 others just makes that a null statement. Not everyone out there is of the highest caliber.

I know that Farr broke a finer. Which one?

86atc250r
02-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Chill dude - Your YFZ is a fine machine. No need to defend it's honor here, most of us will agree.

If you need patted on the back, YFZ Central is your place.

gncc571
02-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
gncc571:
interesting that your stomping grounds is a place called Mule Town!!!!!!

So when do I get to ride the new quad and give my un by assed opinion????
when ever you want to
haven't got to ride it much myself

02-09-2004, 02:37 PM

I know that Farr broke a finer. Which one?

Probably the same finger half the people on this site are giving you for your BS that you continously post..:blah:

PS..no come back on the remark reguarding the sea of yammi's brokin in texas:confused: :confused:

sparky450AR
02-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Probably the same finger half the people on this site are giving you for your BS that you continously post..:blah:

PS..no come back on the remark reguarding the sea of yammi's brokin in texas:confused: :confused:

lmao.....theres RICO!!!

whoa:eek2: :p

02-09-2004, 03:27 PM
dude my yamaha Timberwolf is faster than your quad any day!!!!!

wait a minute that statment is only true if your quad don't run cus my timberwolf is pretty slow!!!!

AtvMxRider
02-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Just thought the wording was odd coming from a YFZ owner that's posted inflamitory stuff before...

Just got the feeling you were insinuating that you, a YFZ owner needed to rub in a loss.

Just an observation.

Couldn't agree more gabe.

Wingnut
02-09-2004, 03:41 PM

I don't remember seeing any.:confused:

jeff1984
02-09-2004, 05:05 PM
IF YOU READ THE RACE COVERAGE IT SAYS THAT FARR HAD THROTTLE CABLE PROBLEMS. I WANTED TO SEE HIM WIN AND I THINK EVEN IF THE THROTTLE DIDN'T MESS UP HE WOULDN'T HAVE DONE AS GOOD AS WE WOULD HAVE LIKED. FROM WHAT I SAW HE WASN'T GOING AS FAST AS THE OTHER RACERS. HE WASN'T DOING ALL THE JUMPS LIKE THE LEADERS AND I DON'T THINK POWER WAS AN ISSUE BECAUSE GOING UP THAT BIG ***** HILL NO ONE COULD PASS HIM, THEY GOT HIM ON THE JUMPS. GOOD JOB TO KORY ELLIS THOUGH YFZ OR NOT!

coryatver
02-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Wingnut
I don't remember seeing any.:confused:

Were you to busy looking at stephanie partons back side?:o

02-09-2004, 06:34 PM
I don't remember seeing any.
I only saw one but I had to see that freeking thing the whole dag gone race!!!!

Barely legal
02-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Rico is oh so bitter.

YFZ Central 86atc 250? YFZ Central? Sure, great site there.

The YFZ does not need any validation. It's a monster.

I'm still waiting for Honda to show me something. If I like the quad, I'll get it also. That's no biggie at all.

Scottie Mac
02-09-2004, 08:26 PM
I highly doubt that Farrs TRX is all that crazy inside. What I mean is the new generation 4 strokes really don't have that much improvement to be had. Especially if you have to keep it under 450ccs. Higher compression pistons, cams, head work and ignition is about it. How many times does it have to be said that on a mx track, it is the rider.

Another reason I don't think his quads are an exotic as you guys is the fact that he wasn't close to getting either holeshot. But Natalie did, and he admitted on this forum that this machine had very little motor work. If these two quad are as close as everyone is saying and Farrs machine was so souped up, he should have killed everyone to the first turn.

Basically, I think it comes down to growing pains. The TRX is new, but I would HIGHLY DOUBT Farr will do winless on the tour. He is far to talented and has too much backing to be counted out after one race.

Scott

Also, I think the entire hp vs torque arguments can be put to rest. Obviously, you need both, but one is not more important than the other.

sparky450AR
02-09-2004, 08:30 PM

The YFZ does not need any validation. It's a monster.

I think the point everyone was trying to make is your post is invalid, there is talk about that race in race coverage, so if you want to go talk about these yfz's dominating then go there and discuss it. I dont understand whats so surprising to you about it not being posted in "trx450R information"

Barely legal
02-10-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
I think the point everyone was trying to make is your post is invalid, there is talk about that race in race coverage, so if you want to go talk about these yfz's dominating then go there and discuss it. I dont understand whats so surprising to you about it not being posted in "trx450R information"

I'm new to the site and missed it under the race coverage section. I gotta hand it to you guys, that's an awesome section.

But back to this being valid or not I have to ask then why do we race at all? Should we just have the guys out there running around on tricycles with spinners and gold fronts?

It's only irrelevant when someone loses and makes excuses to call BS on this or that.

I'm sure it's mostly rider when you had in the past, 25 equally prepared 250r's. That's not the case anymore. If you run the wrong tire size or tread pattern, you will lose. If you have a mechanical problem, you will lose. If you choose the wrong gearing and are off by 10% or so, you will probably lose. If you have 25-30% less power, you will lose. Point is, not everything can be prepared the same now because there is a wide variety of machines out there now.
All of the above comments are based on machine preparation, reliability, tuning, handling and power. They all can be prepared differently by the mechanic and cost the rider the race. The rider is out there twisting the throttle, yes the mechanic and factory have a lot to do with how well a machine will compete. Both the TRX and YFZ are brand new models. The TRX just got here but YFZ only has a bit more time out there. Both motors have been run in races for years and have been under development even longer.
With all of these varibles we now know why we race. It's not all up to the rider if the machines are not all prepared identically or are even not the same manufacturer. We race to push technology and say which machine, rider, mechanic, factory and brand are better. Always been that way, probably always will.
In the meantime, a lot of folks make good money doing it and it's great entertainment but the bottom line is for factories to sell their product.

JOEX
02-10-2004, 02:22 AM
The race coverage section hasn't been here much longer than you have. Some of the early dated posts were moved there;)

I still belive the rider is the dominate factor in winning races. The rider has to have the skills, knowledge and talent to be able to apply the mechanics of the machine to the track no matter how the the machine is set up. It's a blend of the rider, machine and set up to be a consistant competitor. If one of the latter two fails to do it's job the result can be a lower finish unless the rider knows how to compensate for it.

Think of it this way, who will most likely win.....

A highly skilled rider on an average machine or an average rider on a highly modified machine?

Of course, this is just my rambling opinion:)

Joe

trx11t
02-10-2004, 09:46 AM
"I still belive the rider is the dominate factor in winning races."

I guess that means Tim Farr really is an 8th and 13th place rider then by this logic?

02-10-2004, 10:15 AM
I guess that means Tim Farr really is an 8th and 13th place rider then by this logic?

ON THAT DAY HE WAS. and A COUPLE SUNDAYS AGO bill ballance was the 2nd best words racer. and THIS PAST SUNDAY Gragg biffle or what ever his name is was the FAST NASCAR RACER!!!!!!!!!

02-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by trx11t

Uhhhhhhhhh yeah thats it

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/brick.gif

eddings
02-10-2004, 12:29 PM

I hate to say it cause I love the YFZ, but that is some flawed logic.
I guess when the Bull's won like 70 games and lost 12 then 12 teams were better. Some days you ride well some days you don't . I wish I could be at the top of my game every day of my life.

Farr does have one advantage his bike is in top condition for every race. He has the backing and support unlike many other riders out there. Combine that with his natural talent and he will most likely take the overall this year.

jarsong
02-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Could fooled me :huh

psst--Check the "Race Coverage" for details concerning racing results.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91437

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91223

I was about to post this. Probably THE best coverage of the race around. Sorry Barelylegal but it does seem this post will attract the nasty flaming.... It's the rider and in GNC races some pretty crappy luck can end your day as well. Remeber after B. Ballance had won what 6 races??? He broke a stinking chain to end the streak. Does a chain care what bike it's on? I know sometimes I come off a littel strong but this post will just invite a fight....
jarsong

trx11t
02-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
ON THAT DAY HE WAS. and A COUPLE SUNDAYS AGO bill ballance was the 2nd best words racer. and THIS PAST SUNDAY Gragg biffle or what ever his name is was the FAST NASCAR RACER!!!!!!!!!

There is a big difference between a rider crashing and getting up and catching the leader (Bill) and needing a couple more laps to take the overall and a rider (Tim) that starts out second and drops back to eighth by the end of the race.

Here is a question for all the die hard racers out there. When was the last time Tim Farr riding anything lost six positions without crashing giving it everything he had?

My point is when all the riders have nearly equal skill level the machine can make a huge difference. In fact I would say it makes the most difference. Unless you have a rider that is in a class by himself like James Stewart on the bikes that is and don't have that kind of imbalance in ATV racing.

86atc250r
02-10-2004, 03:07 PM
I'll agree when riders are of near equal skill level, the machine can make a difference, however - We're not talking about a YFZ against an LT230 quadsport here.

Never mind all the races he's won with it. Never mind he had throttle trouble and a broken finger or who knows what other influence on his riding.....

Remember - wear your helmets....

BigAl
02-10-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm afriad your advice may have come too late for some Gabe. :D :D

jeff1984
02-10-2004, 04:15 PM
i dont think the bike had anything to do with it the first race because there were 2 jumps that i could see that he was not clearing all the way. one of them was a big step up camel back thing that ellis and jones and the other top 4 riders were doing but the other jump, step up with a table top landing that even the am riders were doing, he was coming up short and loosing speed into the corner. still, i dont think power was an issue because he was 3rd or 4th coming into the fisrt corner out of the gate. 2nd race same thing but he had throttle problems.

Barely legal
02-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by jeff1984
i dont think the bike had anything to do with it the first race because there were 2 jumps that i could see that he was not clearing all the way. one of them was a big step up camel back thing that ellis and jones and the other top 4 riders were doing but the other jump, step up with a table top landing that even the am riders were doing, he was coming up short and loosing speed into the corner. still, i dont think power was an issue because he was 3rd or 4th coming into the fisrt corner out of the gate. 2nd race same thing but he had throttle problems.

How was the other 450R going through that section.

Bad Habit
02-10-2004, 05:13 PM
There is a big difference between a rider crashing and getting up and catching the leader (Bill) and needing a couple more laps to take the overall and a rider (Tim) that starts out second and drops back to eighth by the end of the race.

Here is a question for all the die hard racers out there. When was the last time Tim Farr riding anything lost six positions without crashing giving it everything he had?

My point is when all the riders have nearly equal skill level the machine can make a huge difference. In fact I would say it makes the most difference. Unless you have a rider that is in a class by himself like James Stewart on the bikes that is and don't have that kind of imbalance in ATV racing.

OK, so let's use this logic and play what if. What if Farr wins a race this season and in doing so, passes 6 or 7 guys to get that win? Will we then proclaim that the TRX is the dominate machine? Well, it would have to be, because all the riders are of equal talent, so if Farr passes people then his mahcine MUST be better.

So we'll just wait until Farr gets a win in this fashion (and he will) and then we can say hipee, the Honda rules.

See, that logic sounds a little goofy, huh?

BigThumper33
02-10-2004, 05:43 PM

When your racing for hours like Bill it is not a huge suprise that someone can wreck, get a flat, run out of gas, and still catch up to the lead. Last time I check, GNC doesn't run for hours...:rolleyes:

FFW
02-10-2004, 06:29 PM

Gust ran real good too.

FLAME BAIT....move on, there's nothing to see here.

:blah:

MOFO
02-10-2004, 06:31 PM

Remember - wear your helmets....

Sorry to say, but I think in most cases this advice was a little too late.

jeff1984
02-10-2004, 07:21 PM
How was the other 450R going through that section.

the other 450r was doug eichner and i wasn't really watching him. i think he did beat tim in the 2nd moto though.