PDA

View Full Version : all CHOKED up

knighttime
02-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Well around 9pm last night I decide to remove the choke. I had a feeling something wasn't right with doing this, but I proceded. After stripping the soft phillips head screw that holds on the yellow choke lever, I had this project f'd up in a hurry. I ended up havin' to take off the entire carburetor.

I got it just about fixed up now. I'll post some pics tomorrow at work, because I'm at home now waitin' for a furnace guy to get my freakin' furnace working. My house is now 50 degrees and falling fast. :eek:

02-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Build a small brush fire in the kitchen sink,,,I do it all the time,,,everything will be fine.

I'm interested in hearing if there's any power increase from this,,keep us posted.

NewRider
02-27-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Build a small brush fire in the kitchen sink,,,I do it all the time,,,everything will be fine.

:eek: Only in KY ... :p

NewRider

MIKE400EX
02-27-2002, 11:20 AM
GOOD thing you had to take the carb off! The two screws holding the butterfly to the shaft are swedged. When you remove them lots of metal flakes and small pieces fall off. Now they won't go in your engine!

Mitch400EX
02-27-2002, 12:07 PM
When working on any philips screws on a 400EX an impact scredriver is your best friend:D

knighttime
02-27-2002, 01:47 PM
1. The soft phillips head screw stripped because of the awkward angle of the screwdriver. I should have loosened the carb on both boots so I could kinda move the carb around so I would have had a better angle of attack.

2. My furnace is fixed for now and I didn't have to start a brush fire in the kitchen sink. I do though need a new furnace and a/c unit in the spring.

3. I noticed a nice throttle responce increase now that the freakin' choke is gone. I just got back from the test ride and I was surprised. I didn't think I was gonna notice anything. There is more response and most likely a little added horsepower as well. I think if you have a 42 pilot, the choke is useless.

4. I'll post some pics tomorrow. The choke assembly inside the intake of the carb does take up a lot of space. More air can now pass more easily into the engine with it removed.:D

VegasEx'r
02-27-2002, 02:21 PM
Terry over at Marcum's suggested that when you remove the choke, you also take a Dremel & shave off the 2 'fins' that hide behind the choke. I haven't done this yet, has anyone tried it? I also notices better throttle response after I took off the choke, and I think it works best w/ a 40 or 42 pilot.

knighttime
02-27-2002, 03:04 PM
I think shavin' those fins would be a good idea. It would give ya some more airflow. I thought about it for a second, but I just wanted the project to be over with. :blah

ATVer14
02-27-2002, 04:26 PM
Yea, I did the same thing with my carb this weekend, and wow! It sure does make a difference. It probably added about 1-1.5 horses through the whole powerband, at least thats my prediction. It also increased throttle response a lot. I stripped each screw I took out though, so if I ever need to put it back together, I'm going to have to buy new screws. I saw the fins you're talking about, but I was afraid of getting all the shavings all over the carb if I used a dremel tool. If anyone does this, post something about it, because I'm not even going to bother if it doesn't make that much difference. Also, I was thinking about filling both holes where the choke rod went through the carb with something to smooth things out and prevent dirt from working it's way in. What do you guys think about this, and what do you suggest I use? Thanks for the help.
- Kenny

VegasEx'r
02-27-2002, 05:25 PM
filling those holes sounds like a good idea, and you could use something like JB Weld (I think that's what is is called). The only problem is that if the stuff were to ever loosen, you might end up saying goodbye to your engine. I'm going to run the idea by some friends who know more about engine building & see what they say.

ATVer14
02-27-2002, 07:22 PM
VegasEx'r- Thanks, be sure to post what they say on here when you know. I was thinking something along the lines of a silicone sealant, since it sticks to almost anything, and maybe since it's rubbery when it dries, if it ever got into the engine, I don't think it would mess it up at all since it couldn't scratch anything. What do you guys think of this idea, and do you think the rubber could do any harm? Lexal(sp) is the silicone I'm talking about by the way.
-Kenny

knighttime
02-27-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by MIKE400EX
GOOD thing you had to take the carb off! The two screws holding the butterfly to the shaft are swedged. When you remove them lots of metal flakes and small pieces fall off. Now they won't go in your engine!

Yeah I saw that metal when I removed those little screws on the butterfly. I saw 2 metal spirals from each screw. I was thinkin', would I have seen that if I didn't have to take the carb out? ... Well, the answer is yes, but I was never expecting "SWEDGING". :huh

MIKE400EX
02-28-2002, 07:22 AM
If you take off that black plastic cap and base that used to seal the end of the choke shaft, just put a rubber vacuum cap over the boss on the side of the carb & wire tie it tight. I've seen those stock plastic caps launch when a bike backfired! The other smaller screw hole doesn't have to be capped because it's not a thru hole. At least on mine it's not.

knighttime
02-28-2002, 07:36 AM
Take of this boot and loosen the other carb boot attached to the engine. Your carb will now "float around" for easy choke removal.

knighttime
02-28-2002, 07:43 AM
I stripped this soft phillips head screw that attaches the yellow choke lever. This screw should come off first. If you happen to strip it, take out the carb and use a dremel tool with a cut-off bit and make a "regular screwdriver" slot in the screw. It will then come out with ease. Replace the screw and washer into the carb after removing the yellow lever and bracket.

knighttime
02-28-2002, 07:45 AM
I didn't take a pic with the choke in the open position, but I can tell you that it really is big enough to restrict airflow. Remove the 2 screws. Dont postition the carb this way when you do it because 2 metal shavings will fall out on the thread side of those 2 screws.

JhallettEX
02-28-2002, 07:49 AM
After removing the black cap on the choke put a little silicone on there to seal it up to protect and dust or dirt getting into your carb. I would not use JB weld because someday you may wany to put the choke back in it, I did. I hope this helps you guys. And by the way I just bought me a 39mm FCR, I will let you all know what it is like when I get it installed. I kinda wish I hadnt spent the money on it know with all this talk about the stock carb being more than good for the 400ex. OH Well, I will just have to get it port and polished now.

knighttime
02-28-2002, 07:49 AM
Remove this clip and the rod that holds the butterfly will slide out of the carb.

knighttime
02-28-2002, 07:50 AM
It's the hole that has the o-ring down from it.

knighttime
02-28-2002, 07:52 AM
Put something over the hole and use a hose clamp to secure. I was thinking that this hole would be good to use as an entrance for carb cleaner.

knighttime
02-28-2002, 07:58 AM
Notice the nice open airway. Put a 42 pilot in your 400 before or when you remove the choke. With the 42 pilot you will not need the choke. Just pump the throttle a few times before you hit the start button, and kinda feather the throttle at first. If you hear any poppin' and crackin' or snappin sounds, it means you aren't jetted correctly.

I really did notice a power and throttle response increase during the test ride.

Good luck,

Mike

knighttime
02-28-2002, 08:01 AM
just put a rubber vacuum cap over the boss on the side of the carb

What exactly is a rubber vaccum cap and where would I get one? What part of the hardware store sells them?

02-28-2002, 08:01 AM
Nice little.,,,,,How to remove the choke,,,,,diagram. Guess I might do mine this weekend since I have no other plans. What's the time frame on this project Mike???

And do you have to remove the carb from the bike to do this??

knighttime
02-28-2002, 08:13 AM
Nice little.,,,,,How to remove the choke,,,,,diagram. Guess I might do mine this weekend since I have no other plans. What's the time frame on this project Mike???

And do you have to remove the carb from the bike to do this??

Give yourself a couple hours. Don't be like me and do it when you are tired and in a hurry. Get good and loose.

Take off both the side panels, remove the gas tank straps, and loosen both boots on the carb. Pull the boot attached to the airbox out and around. Refer to one off the first pics posted. Now the carb will kinda "float around". If you can get the soft phillips head screw attaching the yellow lever removed, u r good to go. Just remember about the shavings that will fall out when you take off the choke plate.

Also the hole that must be plugged has a 3/8" outside diameter.

PsychoDave
02-28-2002, 08:16 AM
mike.......nice diagram...i will try this out this weekend....i use a 45 pilot jet right now with the motor stock....and a slip-on pipe.....i will post my results....PS the 45 is NOT to rich....my plug always looks perfect.

thanks again for the details. !:D

MIKE400EX
02-28-2002, 08:17 AM
You can purchase a rubber vacuum cap from any auto parts store, even Home Depot sells them in those (lame) "specialty" hardware drawers. Get a 5/16" ID cap so it will fit snug.

Rico, you definetly should take the carb off to keep those metal chips out of the engine. You'll be hard pressed to drink A beer by the time you get the job done!

NewRider
02-28-2002, 08:32 AM
YYou'll be hard pressed to drink A beer by the time you get the job done!

Either this is a really quick job... or some of us drink a little faster. ;)

NewRider

knighttime
02-28-2002, 08:45 AM
Rico, you definetly should take the carb off to keep those metal chips out of the engine. You'll be hard pressed to drink A beer by the time you get the job done!

Well to be extra careful take it out, but I recommend leaving it in. It's much easier that way. And those 2 shavings will fall straight down. Since the throttle is closed, the entrance to the engine will be almost totally blocked. Those shavings should never make it to the engine. When the choke plate is off, you will see the shavings on the bottom of the entrance of the carb. Just sweep them away.

Scott
02-28-2002, 08:46 AM
Dude, it takes longer than 1 beer to get the carb off the quad!:D

02-28-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by knighttime

Just sweep them away.

dang,,,removing the choke leaves enough room to get a broom in there to sweep away the,,swedging????:eek:

So beer before, during, or after the process???:confused:

MIKE400EX
02-28-2002, 09:25 AM
All three, then you'll notice a really big difference! OK, I gave away my age, one for me.....three or more for you youngsters:o

knighttime
02-28-2002, 09:38 AM

So beer before, during, or after the process???:confused:

Yes, beer before, during, AND after the removal process.

gojk
02-28-2002, 07:45 PM
After reading everyones comments on the choke removal I decided to do it myself. Everyone seemed to recommend to remove the carb but it seemed easy enough without it removed so I did it without removing and it seemed to work out fine. I didn't get the little metal that everyone says fall in and the screws came right out. I recommend just using that cheap little screwdriver that comes with the EX toolkit. It was like a 10-15min job from start to finish. Just thought that I would let everyone know that it isn't that difficult. Also I live in AZ so that 38 pilot that is stock doesn't seem like to be to big of a prob even in the coldest days. I will post if it seems like it made a difference. Also I just ground down those huge welds on the headpipes. I can't believe honda would do that. I hope it makes a difference since I am goin to the local dunes here on Sat. Hopefully those craptors will be wonderin what is goin on.

emiliano22
03-01-2002, 06:36 PM
Great post knighttime!
I will start the work tomorrow.
Maybe this post would be go to FAQs

Live2Ride300
03-01-2002, 09:16 PM
awesome post night time!

03-01-2002, 09:48 PM
soon as i get my stolen 440 bak, im gunna do that, it gets a tad cold here, so im gunna run a 45 pilot.

knighttime
03-02-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
awesome post night time!

:D :cool: :rolleyes: :square

Live2Ride300
03-02-2002, 09:26 AM
no problem knightime, im gonna do this mod to my 300

RideRed04
03-02-2002, 11:21 AM
Any thoughts on doing this in wisconsin? It gets a mite cold here in the winter (we are having a mild winter, and it is about 15 degrees right now...ahhh) I was thinking of going to a 42 pilot jet anyway, if I did this, would it be best to go to a 45? Before I swiced to synthetic, the dang thing wouldnt start unless it was over 50 degrees...not in california anymore:D.

400exdad
03-02-2002, 08:06 PM
I've been thinking about removing the choke. Okay, so you have to upsize the pilot....it needs it anyway right? So that takes care of most of the starts in regular weather. So, for when its really cold out and it is going to be tough to start, why not remove the plastic or rubber cap that the choke shaft came out of and either squirt a little starting fluid in there or get a little syringe of gas (a little dangerous now) of gas in there. Just to get it to hit a few times..... that may be enough to get it running on those cold trailer rides to the trails! Anybody agree?

03-04-2002, 08:47 AM
I removed mine this weekend and it's a piece of cake,,I already had my subframe and airbox off so it was pretty easy to do,,haven't taken it fer a ride yet,,but will soon.

Zingnut
03-12-2002, 11:23 AM
I did it slightly different.... I left the choke lever and just removed the choke plate and rod. I then replaced the stock cap after installing a slight bit of silicone in the hole. This way it looks stock but gets the added flow. I thought it would be easier to reassemble if I need the choke back.
Great post knighttime and thats all it took for me to give it a shot.

Honda Guy
04-19-2002, 02:53 PM
some one was wanting to remove there choke here the review rico was talking about.