PDA

View Full Version : Flipping the spacer rings on Elka shocks.

Narly R
02-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Is there any advantages to this? Or will it only stiffen the springs? It adds travel though right? Just fill me in on it, if its good or bad to do. Much appreciated!

44oEX
02-09-2004, 05:21 AM
I don't really know what your taking about since I don't have any elka's but I would think elka would put the ring in the way that was better and would give the more travel.

02-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Leave the crossover rings the way they are. They should be installed correctly for proper weight transfer between the different springs. You can get NEW crossover rings to change the shocks performance but turning the crossover ring around will do nothing but cause the shocks to work poorly.

boogiechile
02-09-2004, 09:10 AM
The crossovers determine when the softer springs will transfer to the next spring. changing crossovers can make your shocks stiffer or softer depending on which way you go. if the crossover stack is set to a height that is the same as the collapsed length of its spring then that is the softest setting. the longer the crossover stack gets the stiffer the shock will be because it will transfer to the next stiffer spring sooner. If the stack is as tall as the spring then that spring no longer works. With the elka crossovers made to the spring seat the way they are if you flip them you will reduce the crossover length of one spring but raise it on another. You will probably screw things up pretty bad. But crossovers can be used to fine tune the shock. I beleive they are the most critical part of getting the shock right. Elka has different length crossovers but they only offer three sizes. I usually end up having to cut them or cut rings from one to add to another to get what I want. I also have had to switch to axis tender springs on Elka shocks and then set the crossovers to them to get what I want. The shortest the stack should ever be is a little longer than the full compressed length of the corrosponding spring (just before coil bind). If all this sounds too complicated or like too much work then you should just leave your shocks well enough alone.

Narly R
02-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Ok thanks a TON for the info guys! I will just leave them the way they are.:)