PDA

View Full Version : Sparks timing Key

Poston5
02-08-2004, 07:58 PM
what does this sparks timing key do and how much will it help also will it hurt my 400ex and is it recomended with anything else like pipe or jet kit or what.

bdrue
02-08-2004, 08:12 PM
i put in a sparks key in my new 400ex with a uni air filter with no lid, i could run it with stock jets because it was running way too lean. so i put in a 42 pilot and a 150 main. WOW what a difference, but i read when you start to seriously modify your bike. the advance creates too much heat and is recommended for stock engines.

cheetah
02-08-2004, 08:16 PM
It's a minimal gain, but definately noticable. Your not going to see a whole lot for 15 bucks but it's well worth it. As far as hurting it, I had a high compression standard bore piston in mine and it didn't get too hot. They don't reccomend it for modded engines though due to heat. Uglymotha has one in his 416ex too and he hasnt' had any probs either.

Poston5
02-08-2004, 08:20 PM
where do you get these timing keys and how do you install them. Is it hard to install them. Do they just retime everything.

linkindust313
02-09-2004, 07:21 AM
i ordered mine straight from sparks racing. www.sparksracing.com I could definitely tell a difference with it in. I talked to one of the mechanics from sparks racing and he said that he actually put one in his 416 and it still doesnt create too much heat. So you will be good there. It only took me 30 mins to install. the only tool you might need to find (if you dont have a big collection) is a 30mm 1/2" drive socket for the flywheel puller and an impact wrench. Detailed instructions here:

http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/sparks.html

fmf400ex03
02-09-2004, 07:38 AM
got 1 and i can notice it alot i have run it with 160 main and a 170 main with open lid and closed lid and with the open lid i can feel it more its just a lot snappyer on the throttle not a bad investment for 20 bucks well worth it:devil:

HondaChris
02-09-2004, 12:45 PM
I have to agree...mine is stock except for the pipe and re-jetted, for mine it was the best $20 I spent on it so far. The noticeable difference is worth the small amount of money.

Hey Cheetah-You say you had a stock bore high comp piston--I was thinking about doing the same with a cam in mine soon--how much of a diff does it make?

UglyMotha™
02-09-2004, 01:39 PM
i'm running one with a 416 11:1 and at first she did run hotter than to my liking so i started running a 3:2 mix of race to pump gas and she couldn't be any cooler definantly worth the little bit of cash you give for it give c&d a call they will hook you up i've never bought my parts from anybody else since dealing with them plus they support the site ;)