PDA

View Full Version : You guys that run AMSOIL look here

redroost85
02-08-2004, 05:08 PM
OK, I am thinking of finally crossing over to using synthetics this year and am curious about what you guys got to say.

1. Are any of you a part of the 'Preferred Customer' group with AMSOIL? Is it worth it? The good, the bad, the crap?

2. What have you all bought through them and for what?

3. Anything else you can think of?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

lil400exman
02-08-2004, 05:18 PM
i run their oil in my bikes and quads and all the time i have run them it shows almost no wear. well i dont run their tranny stuff do to clutch slippage but i do run their premix oil........best stuff imo!:devil:

redroost85
02-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. So you don't run a sythetic in your 4 stroke? Are you part of the 'preferred customer' group or do you just buy it at a shop?

Thanks again.:)

lil400exman
02-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by redroost85
Thanks for the reply. So you don't run a sythetic in your 4 stroke? Are you part of the 'preferred customer' group or do you just buy it at a shop?

Thanks again.:)
well my friend hooks me up with their goods. i havent ran their synthetic motor oil cause of fear that it will hurt my clutch so i run some 30 weight in there and change it every time i ride. i dont know if it would hurt it or not..........i might call up and talk to them about it cause i like the protection it gives my cylinders:devil:

BIGRED400
02-08-2004, 06:55 PM
I put some in my 416 the other day and I swear it rev's quicker :eek2:

BLURR250X
02-08-2004, 07:27 PM
When I had my motor work done I started using it last year. No complaints so far.It is expensive though.

ReconRider25
02-08-2004, 07:30 PM
ill stick to the honda oil.;) it was designed for the engine by the engine maker wasent it?

300exPat
02-08-2004, 07:46 PM
id say your good if ur running a synthetic

redroost85
02-08-2004, 08:12 PM
I know that synthetic is better. But in theory, the clutch slippage thing bothers me. On the other hand, can any of you guys actually document clutch damage due to synthetic oil?

I want to use synthetic, but I want to be darn sure of what I am getting into.

There are guys that swear by synthetic and guys that swear at synthetic. I need to make up my mind soon.

Thanks for all the great replies guys. Your info is helping. Keep it coming!:)

rhandw69
02-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Ok, Ill try to make this short....

About 2 years ago, i decided to give Amsoil a try. This was rite after my first rebuild. I primarily ride dunes, and my motor does tend to take stress load when it comes to heating. I could tell rite away the difference this oil made. So I loyally stuck with it. Last year I had a friend convince me to try the Maxima oil. My dealer was out of down and i need an oil change. So i went with it. I couldnt keep the heat down at all. This went on for about 4 months, then next thing i know the motor goes. Ok, now after my second rebuild, the guy who built it put that Bel Ray Thumper oil in it. Same thing as the Maxima, runs hot!! Last night, I drained it completely, just got my first shipment of 10-40 Amsoil last night. SInce this time Ive went to the dealership side of it. If your bike is built at all i would go with the 10-40.

My friend has been using the Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil, and that is also a very good choice as well.

redroost85
02-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the story man! So you are running the 10-40 synthetic now? My motor is stock, so should I go 10-40, 30, zero weight? I am just trying to figure out what is best here.

Thanks again guys!:)

sandspanker
02-08-2004, 10:53 PM
:cool: THE MOBIL 1 15W50 IS ALSO GOOD :p

shamisc
02-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
well my friend hooks me up with their goods. i havent ran their synthetic motor oil cause of fear that it will hurt my clutch so i run some 30 weight in there and change it every time i ride. i dont know if it would hurt it or not..........i might call up and talk to them about it cause i like the protection it gives my cylinders:devil:

If you run the correct synthetic, your clutch will be fine. It actually makes it operate smoother IMO! Just make sure it says wet clutch compatable on the back of the bottle ! I've never had any probs with AmsOil. I run it in everything I have that takes oil ! Even my grease gun!:D

QuadJunkies
02-09-2004, 12:12 AM
I have heard soo many goos about Amsiol that I decided Im also going to be a dealer as well.......Never heard anything but good about it.........;)

QuadJunkies
02-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by BIGRED400
I put some in my 416 the other day and I swear it rev's quicker :eek2: and if you add the Amsoil stickers....You will gain another 10 HP!!!!:eek: :p :D :macho

BIGRED400
02-09-2004, 04:28 AM
and if you add the Amsoil stickers....You will gain another 10 HP!!!!

Grow up. I added a 42 pilot and got my jetting right at the same time,Since Amsoil it definately runs cooler and running cooler with an air -cooled motor you retain your power instead of having power fade as most air cooled motor's have after warming up completely, test show that most synthetic's do get better mileage and sometimes optimal performance is obtained in the process, I am 44 and have researched quite a bit on this topic, By the way at the Fla. hare scramble, there were quite a few predator's getting their feather's handed to em:o by some 400's:D

dhines
02-09-2004, 06:54 AM
People - *please* don't burn your hard-earned money on Amsoil or any other "specialty" oil that claims it is somehow better for ATV's or motorcycles. This topic has been discussed here (and on many other forums) in exhaustive detail before. Both independent scientific studies and a LOT of empirical evidence suggests that good ole MOBIL 1 15W50 with the red cap is about the best oil you can run in your machine.

And no, synthetics DO NOT cause problems with a wet clutch - it's friction modifiers that can make your clutch slip. As long as you get the Mobile 1 in the red cap (no friction modifiers) you will have no problems with your clutch.

And please, don't take this as bashing Amsoil in particular. Unlike many of the other ATV, motorcycle, 4-stroke, etc. oils, they do seem to have a very good product. However, from what I've seen there just isn't enough benefit there to justify the additional cost over Mobile 1.

02-09-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by dhines
People - *please* don't burn your hard-earned money on Amsoil or any other "specialty" oil that claims it is somehow better for ATV's or motorcycles. This topic has been discussed here (and on many other forums) in exhaustive detail before. Both independent scientific studies and a LOT of empirical evidence suggests that good ole MOBIL 1 15W50 with the red cap is about the best oil you can run in your machine.

And no, synthetics DO NOT cause problems with a wet clutch - it's friction modifiers that can make your clutch slip. As long as you get the Mobile 1 in the red cap (no friction modifiers) you will have no problems with your clutch.

And please, don't take this as bashing Amsoil in particular. Unlike many of the other ATV, motorcycle, 4-stroke, etc. oils, they do seem to have a very good product. However, from what I've seen there just isn't enough benefit there to justify the additional cost over Mobile 1.

dirtmomma
02-09-2004, 08:15 AM
DANG I'm glad YOU got some responses on this topic...........I posted asking for feedback & din't hear SQUAT:grr: We are thinking of becoming dealers also BUT I dont' know anyone who uses it, from the write ups on it it does sound like a good oil. The only thing we have ever ran in our blaster is Dumonde Tech so we hate to change it cuz we've NEVER had a problem w/ it. I think I might try it in the 300 & 400 first.

rhandw69
02-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Ok, before I reply here, let me first say that Im not here to say one oil is better than the other and so on and so forth.
WIth that said::

I almost think that the oil market has become something like the exhaust market. So many companies are doing it that there is really alot of comparities out there. I honestly think that good ol honda Oil is good. If it werent,,,,Honda wouldnt sell it. Same goes for yamalube. I just tend to want to stick with well known companies. Mobil is one of them, Valvoline is one and many others. Hell they use Mobil in all the Military vehicles in the Gulf, so if it works in tank,,,it should work in a quad. There are alot of companies out there who make oil, who im sure arent up to quality of many. I guess those are the ones to stay away from. When i first bought my wifes Banshee, i was asking around on what the best 2 stroke mix was to use. Oh my god,,i heard everything out there.....One person would swear by Bel ray, then the guy next to him would use Klotz, or maxima or something else. Hell i met a couple of guys who use Stihl Chainsaw oil. In the end i just went with Bel Ray, all is fine. So my point is,,,its all just a personal preference.

dirtmomma
02-09-2004, 08:47 AM

Grow up.

:eek: YOu were just told to grow up Tina :eek2: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

zephead400ex
02-09-2004, 09:43 AM
MOBIL 1 15W50. Last summer at Little Sahara it was 120 degrees out on the sand, too damn hot to be doing anything:D Anyway, this oil held up very, very well. Of course being that hot the motor ran a little hot but IMO if I was running any other oil it would have broke down and hurt my motor. I have never run any other oil in my quad and do not plan on it either.

QuadJunkies
02-09-2004, 10:32 AM

Grow up. I added a 42 pilot and got my jetting right at the same time,Since Amsoil it definately runs cooler and running cooler with an air -cooled motor you retain your power instead of having power fade as most air cooled motor's have after warming up completely, test show that most synthetic's do get better mileage and sometimes optimal performance is obtained in the process, I am 44 and have researched quite a bit on this topic, By the way at the Fla. hare scramble, there were quite a few predator's getting their feather's handed to em:o by some 400's:D You need to chill out dude!!! It was a funny.. get it????HAHA.....????? It wasnt an insult you need to grow up Pal.......:rolleyes: Havent you ever heardofthe sayin..." stickers will make you go faster.......Sheesh....:rolleyes: "

QuadJunkies
02-09-2004, 10:34 AM
By the way at the Fla. hare scramble, there were quite a few predator's getting their feather's handed to em:o by some 400's:D

And just exactly what point are you trying to make here???? Sounds like you need a few Idaho boys to come show them how we ride Predator in the West....Keep starting flames Pal and you can just take a walk......

AtvMxRider
02-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
You need to chill out dude!!! It was a funny.. get it????HAHA.....????? It wasnt an insult you need to grow up Pal.......:rolleyes: Havent you ever heardofthe sayin..." stickers will make you go faster.......Sheesh....:rolleyes: "

LMAO :devil: :devil: :devil:

zephead400ex
02-09-2004, 02:20 PM
And just exactly what point are you trying to make here???? Sounds like you need a few Idaho boys to come show them how we ride Predator in the West....Keep starting flames Pal and you can just take a walk......

Kick his (_|_) :D

skemp
02-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Hate to jump into the daycare here, but I just thought I would add some input about oil.

I use Amsoil in all my toys, and I use it for one simple reason- it works. It could say K-Mart on it and I wouldn't care. I especially like the 2 stroke oil because it burns very clean with little smoke and a nice smell. The 4 stroke motorcycle engine oil is what I use, and it is perfect for use in a wet clutch system. There are no friction modifiers added to it and it works extremely well in hot air-cooled motors. 15w50 Mobil One is fine too, but I get this cheaper than I can that. I would say it is worth it to be a preferred customer if you order oil several times a year, but if you just get like a case of it a year, you are better off just getting it from a dealer. A lot of the time, the independent dealers will have prices similar to their own cost to boost sales. Seeing as how I have lots of toys, I use it frequently and have saved a lot of money. It is also nice to get the info they send out periodically so I can read up on what is going on in the industry.

BIGRED400
02-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Some of the things here I did'nt say , some I did,Man vs. Woman, Chevrolet vs. Ford, Yamaha vs. Honda,Fla. vs. Kansas, North vs. South,If you're happy with your oil more power to you ,no flame intended, ..........oh well have a good :Dne

redroost85
02-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys and gals! I didn't think this would be such a hot topic as I am well aware that it has been discussed extensively on here. I was just curious about the people that have had AMSOIL experience.

I have decided to just buy it from a local quad shop that is a dealer for AMSOIL. The deal is I put his stickers on my ride, I get any AMSOIL goodies for pretty cheap. I think this will work for me. Thanks again EXriders! You never fail to impress, lol!:blah: :D

bman13
02-10-2004, 10:53 AM
I can guarantee 100% that anyone that tries Amsoil products will not regret it. I started out useing their synthetic injector oil in my ported, polished, and piped snowmobile a couple of years ago. Was very impressed by the lack of deposits in the cylinders. I now use Amsoil in every thing that I own and race. '98 Chev Z-71 from front to back, wife's '97 Cavalier, and more importantly my 2000 700XCSP Polaris and 2000 400EX. I use the 0w40 4-stroke oil and Amsoil oil filter in the quad. BTW they also have an awsesome Octane Boost and Chain Lube.
Don't want to sound like Amsoil is the only good product out there, just the best one that I've found. I do alot of research AND testing before I put just any oil in my stuff. Too expensive other wise!
I definitely recommend any synthetic over regular oil. As long as it doesn't contain friction modifiers when used in wet clutches.

Meek
02-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by sandspanker
:cool: THE MOBIL 1 15W50 IS ALSO GOOD :p

I have used Mobile 1 for a full season of XC racing, and have had no problems. If it is not broke, don't fix it, just maintain it. My $.02 worth.

quadrider400
02-11-2004, 01:03 AM
FWIW.... I have run Royal Purple since my break in on my mods and could not be happier.....

It is a bit easier to find......

But Mobil 1 is really easy to find ..... I do note that my temps seem to be lower w/ syn. and I have had no clutch slipage problems ... I have put in a heavy duty Clutch and springs.....

BeltSlipper
02-11-2004, 02:11 PM
I run Amsoil in my quads with the recommendation for C&D Racing. I've had no problems at all. I would highly recommend Amsoil for anything. Just my 2 cents.

02-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by BeltSlipper
I run Amsoil in my quads with the recommendation for C&D Racing. I've had no problems at all. I would highly recommend Amsoil for anything. Just my 2 cents.

How about gettin me some of that fancy Fuel you can get that turns the outside of the carb into ice from it running so cool...:eek2:

BeltSlipper
02-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Hey I'm on my last quart...the new company doesn't like for us to take stuff from them...It's not as easy to get anymore...The nerve of them...
I could send you some...but the cost of sending Hazardous, explosive product through the mail....might cost us some serious moneies....

Did I tell ya I gave a friend a quart...Told him to add 4 oz. per gallon....The dumb sh#%...added 4 cups per gallon....Burnt the motor right out of the frame....just a tad bit to hot.. We estimated the octane to be round 131 with his formula. Results----bad!!

northeast400
02-11-2004, 05:54 PM
I use the 0w-40 amsoil for atvs. stuff works the best. :macho

BIGRED400
02-11-2004, 06:24 PM
http://www.atvnc.com/stunta/amsoil/specs.pdf
page's 15-17 and page's 22-23 for ATV oil;)

400exdad
02-12-2004, 07:00 AM
I put Amsoil in the same group as Slick 50 (and whatever that "mystery oil" is that they sale on TV with the water hose being sprayed on the running motor without any oil in it...) :) Hype. No offense to those who use it. If you like it and are sold on it, go for it. Just like I'm sold on Mobil 1. I could tell a big difference in the valve train noise once the motor was hot as compared to the noise with the Honda GN4 oil.

Runnin Dumb
02-12-2004, 07:21 AM
Amsoil= good stuff !!! I have used it for a good 15-20 years. Have been very well pleased. I now use Mobil 1 because my source ( guy I worked with retired) dried up. If I'd get off my butt I could find more but I like Mobil products also.
Still use Amsoil in all my 2 cycle stuff:macho

03-12-2004, 07:17 PM
You need to chill out dude!!! It was a funny.. get it????HAHA.....????? It wasnt an insult you need to grow up Pal.......:rolleyes: Havent you ever heardofthe sayin..." stickers will make you go faster.......Sheesh....:rolleyes: "

i agree! since when does growing up mean you have to always act serious and never have any fun??

Dunesurfer
03-12-2004, 08:10 PM
I used mobil 1 red cap in my 400ex and it worked good, In my predator though it made my clutch slip. By the way I have had honda oil burn up riding the dunes. I would not recomend it. Amsoil makes polaris ps4 and it works great. If there was a amsoil dealer here I would use that.

03-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by dhines

sorry but there IS a big difference.

My buddy, who has done r&d work for honda has also done major oil manufacturers tests. he says amsoil is the best after doing tests for all of them.

he had mobil one tell him he built a motor wrong after it blew around on a equivalent of 120,000 miles (at wot operation)

mobil took the mtoor back and did the same test and the motor blew before my buddys test motor.

mobil is a great oil. After my bud told me that amosil is way better, I trust his tests.....

I just made the switch from maxima, im sick of the carbon build up from the castor 927. its a great oil but messy.

amsoil #1!!!!:macho

Martin Blair
03-12-2004, 10:45 PM
I run 15w50 castrol oil and it runs great. I change my oil alot more then is needed and its always clean, no problems yet. After i get my motor rebuilt this year i will probably try amsoil.