PDA

View Full Version : IDK if you guys can answer this but.....

cabex
02-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Ok well i recently aquired a used snowmobile. its a 1972 Yamaha GP 433, and im pretty sure it would be able to run but the spark plugs are not getting a spark.

do any of you know what would affect this?>

what can i do to fix that?

ReconRider25
02-08-2004, 04:54 PM
try new lugs, still no spark try new wires. also check to be sure the kill switch is operation properly, you could probably just unplug it to see if its the problem. does it have cdi or points? could be condensers if its a points ignition. those like to go all the time. also check the coils.

F-16Guy
02-08-2004, 04:56 PM
By the age of the engine, I'm assuming it has a "points" style ignition system. Pull off the flywheel cover and look in through one of the slots in the flywheel. You should be able to see a set of points. It would probably be easier to pull the flywheel, if you can, to make any adjustments. You could probably make due by removing the points and cleaning up the contacts with an emery board and some solvent. After you clean them, loosely reinstall them. Turn the engine over slowly until the cammed surface where the points ride on the crank shaft is at a point to open the points the most. slide the points toward the cammed surface until you get a gap. Set the gap to about 0.015" just as a starting point and then tighten the points down. Recheck the gap and reinstall the flywheel. This should get you close enough that you will get a spark if everything else is working. If you get spark, then you'll probably want to find out what the gap and dwell should be at. If you can find them, you might also pick up a new set of points.

cabex
02-09-2004, 04:13 PM
ok i got it to fire a little, but it only has a spark on the left plug. anyone know what i could do, or what is wrong that it doesnt get a spark on the other cylider?

thanks

ReconRider25
02-09-2004, 04:20 PM
switch the coils and wires to the other side. if you have spark on the other one now, its prob the coil. if not its the plug or plug wire

cabex
02-09-2004, 07:44 PM
both of the plugs are brand new.

cabex
02-17-2004, 04:56 PM
yep i got a new celinoid and plug cable and now she fires!

cabex
02-17-2004, 08:03 PM
aight i took it out tonight, and it runs really well. but i have to control the throtel so it doesnt cut out by using the chock lever? so i have to give it gas with my right hand and control it on the choke with my left hand? does anyone know what could be the cause of that?