PDA

View Full Version : Q-Series???

02-27-2002, 08:51 AM
Does anyone have the new FMF Q-series Powercore IV exhaust for their 400? I am seriously considering this exhaust for my '99 400ex. I was just wondering how it sounded(supposedly its suppposed to be quite quiet....obviously) and if there were any powergains and in what rpm ranges they were in. I'm not concerned so much with power gains as I know that most exhaust systems do not have much power gain and that a non-tunable system like the FMF wont have much power gains at all. I am mainly interested in a deeper more distinct sound without being as loud as some of the other systems on the market(WB and Pro-Circuit). Any comments, concerns, ideas or suggestions are extremely appriciated! Thannks in advance.:D

400exdad
02-27-2002, 11:24 AM
I just did the pipe mods on mine that Gabe (86atc25r here at ex (I think)) did to his and posted on the 'net. This uses a stock pipe of course. I am very concerned about sound levels, so I chose this route. I picked up a spare muffler so I could do this experiment. I haven't ridden it yet, but according to those who have done the mods like he has, it does make a difference, I would think and hope along the lines of the "Q" without the wonderful joy of repacking! I checked the stock pipe with and without the arrestor insert. Then I installed the modded muffler and then checked the sound (by ear) with and without the arrestor again. The muffler is almost straight thru now. Quite a bit louder now without the arrestor than stock running the same way. Believe me, the arrestor insert does all the muffling! I think some more power lies in opening it up some, but I think with it will come more noise. With the mods and the arrestor in place, the sound it a tad, and I mean a little more than stock. More throaty. And if I am correct, it seemed to rev a little quicker too. Again, I haven't ridden it yet, so it could be just the throatier sound or the motor getting warmed up giving me that impression. Good Luck finding the balance of noise vs. power.

02-27-2002, 01:02 PM
Thanks, but my stock exhaust is kinda dented up and I really want the FMF system so I'm just looking for people who have this exhaust or heard it or just comments or opinions. Please help me!! Thanks again.

02-27-2002, 01:22 PM
knighttime out here has it and has always had good things to say about it..

400exdad
02-27-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by rida682005
Thanks, but my stock exhaust is kinda dented up and I really want the FMF system so I'm just looking for people who have this exhaust or heard it or just comments or opinions. Please help me!! Thanks again.

Sounds like your mind is already made up.:D

dads400ex
02-27-2002, 04:09 PM
I've got the power core 4Q and the powerbomb header and I like it a lot it helped with the sound without being overly load and obnoctios.

dads400ex

02-27-2002, 06:35 PM
Thanks everyone! dads400ex can you specify what jetting and air cleaner you are running and what altitude you are at? Also any other comments you have i would really like to hear them as I am extremely interested. Thanks soooo much and any other replies are greatly appriciated. Thanks again, ya'll are awesome.:D

patrick delao
02-28-2002, 10:11 AM
I have the p/c 4 with the powerbomb header and it sounds great it has a low deep tone. I took the P/C 4 off to run the full race CT slip on, and the P/C 4 is for sale now $175 plus shipping. I ran the P/C 4 slip without the header on a stock bike with no lid and a 155 main one clip down on the needle and the bike got Huge noticable power everywhere. Let me know ereed@loomisfargo.com

dads400ex
02-28-2002, 03:50 PM
rida68200s, I am at around 1400 ft. elevation and I have the K@N filter with the jet kit and I am running a 160 main and a 40 pilot with the clip one notch down on the power kit needle, just as the instructions stated, although I may go to the 42 if I do the choke removal, but I have not decided on it yet.

Hope this helps,
dads400ex

02-28-2002, 05:15 PM
thanks dads400ex! My elevation is about sea level so that means that I would have to make the mixture leaner so I am figuring about a 155-158 mj and a 40 or 42 pilot right? Can anyone tell me what the stock jets are and what the needle and the positions on it do? Any replies are appriciated. Thanks everyone!!!!!:D