PDA

View Full Version : break in process

One_Bad_400
02-08-2004, 01:26 PM
i just got my 400ex bored out to a 416 and i need to know the break in process

how many hours or miles

ReconRider25
02-08-2004, 04:57 PM
go easy on it varying rpm for first 10 hours. gradually go into higher and higher revs towards the end of the break in period. thats what ive done for all my engines.

KASCHAK
02-08-2004, 06:05 PM
depends who you ask.. but when i broke mine in the first time i took it easy. once in a while stab the gas quick. try to take it easy.. gradually rev higher and higher. dont just stab it and ride it.. stab once in a while. and slowly push in the throttle.

JDiablo
02-08-2004, 06:23 PM
i would run a good tank to two tanks of gas through the engine first then on the next tank i would go a lil higher into the rpm's,and by the next tank i would open that baby up:blah:

JD400exrider
02-10-2004, 01:06 AM
You will find allot of different opinions on here. Do a serach and come up with a plan.

At least 2-3 Heat cycles and complete cool downs is important.

Basicly What I did.

Started it and warmed it up without letting it idle.

Got on it and rode it for a period of 10 minutes with out running it over 3/8 -1/2 throttle but varying the rpms and also allowing back pressure of the motor ran up and down the gears with out over reving but NEVER lugging.

Shut her down and did a complete cool down.

Started it and warmed it up without letting it idle
Got on it and rode it for a period of 15-20 minutes with out running it over 1/2 throttle varying the rpms and also allowing back pressure of the motor ran up and down the gears with out over reving but NEVER lugging.

Shut her down changed the oil and filter and did a complete cool down.

Started it and warmed it up without letting it idle
Got on it and rode it for a period of 45 minutes with out running it over 3/4 throttle varying the rpms and also allowing back pressure of the motor ran up and down the gears with out over reving but NEVER lugging. Rode it fairly hard.

Shut her down changed the oil and filter and did a complete cool down.

Next ride just rode it without ridding wide open for a long periods of time. Would vary the RPMs up and down the range. All through the gears. After a tank of gas. Realy dropped the hammer. Changed the oil and filter after that ride.

Just don't want to baby it. That does not mean you go out and hammer on it right away either. I probably changed the oil more than I had to but I wanted to be safe than sorry. First change you will see some shavings from the rings breaking in on the fresh cylinder.

No problems after eight months and she rips :blah: