PDA

View Full Version : Maxxis Razr 2's

LazeR
02-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Well i went riding saturday with my stock tires....Now they did hook up ok but i kept getting high centered and i think i want a lil more grip.....I have been thinking about getting a set of 22" Maxxis Razr 2's. How much more ground clearance will it give me? Will it take away alot of acceleration having the bigger tire to spin ? Also how much better will they hook up compared to Stock tires? Thanx ahead of time

02-08-2004, 02:20 PM
they will take some acceleration out...my 22" dirt devils did...they will also make it sit higher so you can clear more stuff in the trails but more top end

LazeR
02-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Yea, i need the clearance.......To many ruts i kept getting stuck...But if i had like another ½" of ground clearance or maybe a lil more i coulda went through the stuff like a breeze!

ZSK
02-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Not sure if you get a lot of snow in oregon where you are but Razor II's don't hook up in snow at all. Beleive me I know. The stockers work better in snow, except for the clearence.

Tommy 17
02-08-2004, 08:08 PM
with 22s it'll be a little bit more tippy and loose accel but gain top speed...

put a 14t front sproket on the quad (like 20$) and it'll be back to close to stock gearing:macho

LazeR
02-09-2004, 12:34 AM
I am not to terribly worried about the accel loss..... and No we don't get much snow here...... If we are lucky we will get 2"s a year lol The ground clearance is what i am really lookin' for....and a good mud tire which it seems that alot of GNCC racers use maxxis razr2's so it seems they work pretty good in the mud

jtej
02-09-2004, 08:07 AM
From what i've seen the Razr 2's do well in mud. I would also look into the Kenda Knarly's, these are a true 22" tall tire and they hook up great.

justdirt
02-09-2004, 07:30 PM
most people in gncc run 20" razr 2's. the thing that will get you through the ruts is momentum and keep your speed up, don't slow down for ruts, go into them with speed and keep the throttle on. it works for me anyway.

LazeR
02-10-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by justdirt
most people in gncc run 20" razr 2's. the thing that will get you through the ruts is momentum and keep your speed up, don't slow down for ruts, go into them with speed and keep the throttle on. it works for me anyway.

I know about the momentum thing (i've been 4wheeling jeeps and trucks since i was able to reach the pedals) The problem is where i was at....it was Uphill for 1....and most of the time at the bottom of the hills was a big mud bog and i don't like bonzai'ing through those :|.....the ruts were so deep.....that when i got stuck i had to get off my quad and lift the backend up because my swing arm skid was digging into the ground.....So i didn't just get stuck on some lil rut ! Thanx for your 2cents though everything helps!

bmw500hp
02-10-2004, 08:22 AM
The 22" tires will accomplish everthing you want them to do and then some. :D

If you want gearing that will minimize power loss, go with a 14 tooth front and go up from your stock 38 to a 39. Remeber you are spinning a tire not only larger in diameter but with increased rotating mass (weight). :)

LazeR
02-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
The 22" tires will accomplish everthing you want them to do and then some. :D

If you want gearing that will minimize power loss, go with a 14 tooth front and go up from your stock 38 to a 39. Remeber you are spinning a tire not only larger in diameter but with increased rotating mass (weight). :)

Thanx for the info! I think when i get a set i will try and them and if it's to much power loss then i will drop a tooth in the front! Thanks again to everyone for all their input!

simoniz
02-10-2004, 01:28 PM
You'll love them. But they are real heavy.

LazeR
02-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Another Question! Since i am going with 22" tires i know i will need some new wheels......I need something that isn't going ot bend....Some as strong as stock wheels.....My stockers have taken a beating and i don't even have a bend in them! So should i go with ITP or Douglas? and how thick ?

dhines
02-11-2004, 06:54 AM
Go with the Douglas 190's at the very least, though I would say that the stockers are better than the 190's. The Douglas ultimates are even better but will cost a bit more as well.

LazeR
02-11-2004, 09:54 AM
What about the ITP Wheels ? also i was looking and it seems as if my stock wheels are 9" and the wheels required for the 22" maxxis razr 2's are 9" so could i just use my stock wheels ?

dhines
02-11-2004, 10:11 AM
I don't have any experience with the ITP wheels. Yes, your stock wheels would work fine with the 22's.

LazeR
02-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by dhines
I don't have any experience with the ITP wheels. Yes, your stock wheels would work fine with the 22's.

W00t! Much cheaper that way! I will just be getting new rubber, don't need new wheels anyway! my stockers are still in good condition and i was going to give my old stock tires (they are still in good condition) to my friend since he has bald tires basically! I like the sound of this! Can't wait now thanx