PDA

View Full Version : bore it.. or sale it?

yellowrider
02-27-2002, 05:16 AM
i am bored with my 300ex now. i had a wreck not to long ago cause of lack of power. now i want some power money is not a promblem but reliblity is i dont want something i have to work on all the time or ask mommy to fix it i want something i can just clean the airfilter changed oil and put gas in and ride all day long.

last night i was thinking about boring it out .030 or .040 over with a high comp piston and also a cam. someone told me its going to be over a 1000.00 dollars to do this and if so i think i am just going to trade it in for a raptor or something cause i dont want to spend all of my money on that 300ex cause around here 300ex are being sold very cheap and they are moded up. the highest one i seen was like was bored .080 over, pipe , shocks , cam i mean it have everything you can think of for only 3000.00... but i didnt see taht one in person..

i want something where i can run off 89 octane (92 is to expensive) and none of my friends use it. so i couldnt borrow any if i had to

which one you all think i should get and if you read my last post you konw i am sorta hard on it. so will the stock bore be good or should i just bore it out and get a high compression piston and get it over with or save my money and trade it in for something better? i mean i do like it it is just all my riding buddy's are moving up and got bigger and badder machines and i just like those better for some reason i can drive theres better than i can drive mine..

Live2Ride300
02-27-2002, 05:48 AM
Im kinda in the same situation that your in, my buddies have bigger and faster machines then me with my 300. Im thinking about a big bore kit, but Id have to get suspension too, so in the end that would be alot of money

Live2Ride300
02-27-2002, 05:49 AM
maybe sell it, get a raptor or 400ex

Live2Ride300
02-27-2002, 05:50 AM
im not sure, i still like my 300ex, i like the way it handles and everything, but i want more suspension and some more power, i mean who doesnt??

crashinmatt
02-27-2002, 06:54 AM
If you do get a differnet 4 wheeler, and like the way the 300 handles, I would definitely get a 400. They handle great. The only problem is, is that they may not keep up with a raptor on a long straight trail. But, the handling will make up for the lack in power on track or tight twisty trail.

Holty
02-27-2002, 07:03 AM
you can't run high compression on 89 octane. if i remember correctly, you can't run a stock 400ex on 89 octane either. maybe i'm wrong about the 400, but i know high compression needs higher octane

400exdad
02-27-2002, 07:27 AM
All high performance quads are going to need premium fuel, thats a given. I had (have) a 300 and was happy with it exept for the short swingarm and lack of suspension for my big butt. I looked at modding it but the costs were too great and with the Raptor out the 400's dropped to where it just made since to upgrade. I did sorta try to sell the 300, but I am keeping it for my son because it is just too sweet to give away. I couldn't buy it back in the condition it's in for what I could sell it for. I love my 400. Sure Raptors ARE faster on the open trail, but in the woods a good rider on a 400 can most likely whip a Raptor.

Heres what I would do if I were you: Don't buy a Raptor! They're customer support has sucked and the 2001's are problematic to say it nicely. Wait till the Suzuki is out if force and then buy a 400 right! They're will be folks who have to have the newest one out and sell their 400 cheap just to get one. If Honda comes out with a 650 or ??, the prices should be really cheap on the 400's then. Good for you, bad for me. Patience!:cool:

yellowrider
02-27-2002, 02:07 PM
if i get anything it will be the raptor maybe that suz i am not for sure.. i have a friend that is looking at my polaris and is going to give me 2000.00 for it prob if he likes it.

anyways about the bore........ do you think i should keep it as a stock bore or bore it 40 over do you think i should shave my head on it? (someone told me to do that at school)

here is what i think i will do to mine...
Je High compression piston
cam? i dont know what kind but i know i will get a cam
and a port and polish job

with all of that how much power will i get?? what kind of gas do you think i will run? is it worth all the money? what would you do?

anyone that has these mods please tell me what you think you should have done instead of what you did do... for ex. do you wish you got something else done to it, or wish you used a different parts.. something like that... do you all think i should just get a bigger 4 wheeler?

stevengates45
02-27-2002, 03:27 PM
whoever told you 1000 for a cam, bore, & piston doesnt have their facts straight.

yellowrider
02-27-2002, 03:47 PM
i think he meant instaling fee also cause there is no way i can do all of that,

02-27-2002, 03:55 PM
You can do it....i am 14 and i in the process of tearin down my lakota

02-27-2002, 04:00 PM
i also wish my 300ex had more power,
thats why im buying a 92 lt.250r (fast)
and modding my body on my300ex..nerfs/bumber/ect.
i rode a 330ex fully modded w/ susp...(Da300exers)
man it was sweet...totally different bike!:p

yellowrider
02-27-2002, 04:14 PM
i dont know about the first thing about rebuilding a engine or how many hours it takes to do it or anything like that. i think i am screwed. i want more power but i also want something that will be as reliable as of what i have now. i dont feel like doing "extra maintance and stuff like that i jus twant to get on and ride and have some power with that...

i would like to drop 3 teeth in the rear sproket
keep same front

and bore my motor .040 if anyone see the need??? or get a stock bore.

or just get it ported and polish and reject it again which one will give me better gains?? or should i jsut do it all??

or should i jsut get a yam raptor or banshee??? i dont know what to do !!

its making my head hurt

rhino99
02-27-2002, 05:30 PM
A Cam is like 100 bucks, a Piston 80-90 bucks and a bore about 30-40 bucks, if hes charging you $750 for labor hes nuts! I would say you could get it all done for around $400-450.

yellowrider
02-27-2002, 06:02 PM
thats a relief at least i know what to expect it's not to much more money how much horsepower gains should i gain with this bore job and high compression piston would i have to do any other mods ?? i dont really want to get a oil cooler but maybe some kind of thing that blows wind on the motor will be fine .. anything to keep it cool. will the new motor still take a beating with out blowing up or something ... and will i really have to switch oil after ever ride ?? can it still be after 6 gas tanks or something?

also has anyone ever done this ?

anyone think that i shouldnt do this ?

yellowrider
02-27-2002, 06:09 PM
thanks any other opinions would be great

02-27-2002, 08:40 PM
Sounds like you want to upgrade to a 400, go ahead. If you like the 300 than fix it the way you want it. Don't worry about doing all the mechanical stuff yourself, no one knew how to rebuild any thing on the day they were born--- they LEARNED. You can too!
Get a manual and a friend that knows what he/she is doing and help them do it! You will learn a lot and have even more pride in your quad. If later you still want to move up you can but you will ALWAYS have a better understanding of mechanical things and knowledge is much more important than the newest machine. :cool:

02-27-2002, 10:26 PM
As far as reliability you did the right thing and bought a honda. As far as power I would recomend getting a 400EX. I used to ride a '88' 250R fourtrax, which is well known to dominate the racing world, but the closest thing I've ever rode is a 400EX! Those Raptors may have more CC's but they have never touched a 400EX in the woods or on the track! Their ergonomics and handeling have a lot to be desired!

yellowrider
02-28-2002, 04:12 AM
can the 300ex handle a bore?? what size bore do you guys recomend just for playing around going down the road , climbing hills and stuff like that?
only thing i do is drag race and now i cant do that casue there 4 wheelers got stolen and the bought either a raptor or banshee! so i am pretty lost right now the rest of my friends have ,bear tracker, recon, 300ex, warrior, moded 250x and, warrior, and that is all i can think of right now.
i would like to beat that moded 250x rider that would be great.

now for the annoying questions....
what cam to get - i would like for the cam to get me all power around the power band

what bore to get - .o20 .030 0.040 0.050 what should i get i dont want to get into the big bore crap. i just would like to boost my power with out taking so much reliablity
i would like to run on pumped gas

and was wondering what ratio piston i should get.
and should i go ahead and get it polished?

400exdad
02-28-2002, 07:24 AM
You can bore the 300 to whatever you want.... It's a 2002, so the bore shouldn't be worn out if you've taken care of it. If you really want to make power. bore and sleeve it to a 330. In dirt wheels about a year or so ago there was good build up of a 300 to a 330. It looked pretty impressive, as it would whip a stock 400. However, if you want to go faster than you are now, just go buy a stock 400 and just clean the air filter and put gas it in. With either of those options you probably won't be able to beat the Raptor or especially the Shee. As a hare scrambler friend said to me: "Anybody can go fast in an open field!" Learn to ride fast in the woods and race your buddies there. The 300 does pretty good against the other quads in the really tight stuff.

I split my first motorcycle case when I was 13 or 14. Without a manual! Get you a manual, take your time, and you can do anything. If you have to pay to have work done, you'll never have the quad you want unless you're a millionaire!:D

yellowrider
02-28-2002, 02:05 PM
i think i will take it to the shop it will be the best thing to do then i know it is done right .. i am not very good at this kind of stuff...

what should i bore it to i do not want to sleeve it or anything i just want a regalur o bore just to boost some power...

here is the bore i would like ot have

.20 .30 .40 .60 and i can not make up my mind which one i want

i have a friend that has a 250x said he can hang with people in the long run with his and his is bored .20 over

friend with the recon said bore it 30 over like his

and someone else told me to go big and the biggest i will go is .060 over so what should i do ...

how reliable will it be will it always run hott will i need to use race gas is there anything else i can do to my motor to get some power without boring it .. any ideas would be great ful cause this is the last time i want to do something to my quad the next thing is suspison or something in that matter i hope i dont have to full with that motor again ......

so what should i do my time is running out and my mind changes fast so if i am going to do this i am going to have to do it quick or i will deciede not to ...

just think it took me 5 months of questions before i got my pipe... i odnt want that to happend about the bore i just want to get all of my facts straight before i do anything to it.

mrusk
02-28-2002, 02:29 PM
A bore really isn;t going to do much at all expecially since u wont be running a hi compression piston. .060 is not big, and really wont add much power. Go wit a.020 to save ur extra bores.

And i agree that u should take it to a shop cuz u dont seem to bright.

matt

yellowrider
02-28-2002, 02:40 PM
lol thanks... i just worry to much that is it and yes i want a high compresson piston with the bore and also a cam i just dont know what ratio to get , if it worth it or not, what cam to get

so what would you guys do to it ? leave it the same

stock bore

or bore it to something?>?

mrusk
02-28-2002, 03:48 PM
With the hi compression piston, u gotta run atleast 92 octane gas!!!!!!!!!!!

yellowrider
02-28-2002, 05:44 PM
screw it i am just going to see how much i can get out of my 300ex

cause my dealer said it would be a waste of money and it still wouldnt go as fast as a 400ex and that the 300 was just a all around bike not meant for anything just there.. so the three choices so far that i may be getting is a raptor, banshee, that new suz after someone gets it here on exriders :D to tell me if they like it or not..

if everything goes well i may be saling my scrambler for 2000.00 cause that dude is a complete retard he thought i said 2500 so now he is going to come and look at it and i guess i wont rip him off to bad and just got 5 hundred dollars cheaper. it is for his son anyways that is what he needs is a automatic... and i need 2000.00 dollars so we both be happy.

you think i can trade my 300ex with 2 thousand and get a bigger 4 wheeler

330exracer
02-28-2002, 05:54 PM
the thing is brand spankin new. you should be able to get like 4k for it at least you can here. so that 6k to spend on a new quad wich is about anything you want.

330exracer
02-28-2002, 05:54 PM
the thing is brand spankin new. you should be able to get like 4k for it at least you can here. so that 6k to spend on a new quad wich is about anything you want. but 300 are fast as **** when you mod them out. just my 2 pennies.

Live2Ride300
03-01-2002, 06:08 PM
330exracer-

what kind of extra maintenance do u have to do to ur 330ex over what u did before u put the 330 kit in ?

Live2Ride300
03-01-2002, 06:11 PM
how much money did the whole kit cost with valves, port and polish etc ? Thanks for your info , its appreciated:D

charlie

330EXman
03-01-2002, 07:03 PM
hey man. NO you cant run a stock 400ex on 87, well you can but its not good for it. when you have a cam,high compression piston, etc you will actually need to run a higher octane around 94-98 this will lower the temp and not heat up you engine excessivly.

i suggest keeping the 300ex,

get LRD exhaust, cam and 330 kit,(four stroke tech) valve springs which are a must. i have titanium vavle springs and retainers which are stronger, clutch kit with HEAVEY DUTY springs, and a carb (i have a 400ex carb and man thats all you need works great) all this will cost you bout $1000-$1200 and it will be wel worth it

then go for handleing and i would give some tips but you probaly know all thaty either that it will be to long so go with the set up above

later man Jay

stevengates45
03-01-2002, 07:09 PM
I say just sale it & get somthin else. I just put a high compression piston in my 300 & thats the last thing im going to spend on it. Im probably going to sale it sometime soon & get something faster. I have a serious need for speed & the 300 just isnt filling it.

Live2Ride300
03-01-2002, 08:22 PM
i feel your pain stevengates45, i want to sell mine and get a 400 like i should have down in the first place

Live2Ride300
03-01-2002, 08:26 PM
330exman, does around 1000, 1200 include all the labor of boring the cylinder nad resleeving it and hardening the rockers?

03-01-2002, 08:58 PM
If all you guys' want to SALE your threehunderds than I'll give you $100 each for um. If you want to SELL them, than I guess you'll need to find another buyer. :D