PDA

View Full Version : 300ex whats that noise?!

ben41884
02-07-2004, 03:49 PM
hey, im havin some problems with my 300ex, i was at the beach and i heard some noises and vibrations as i was riding. its like a clanking, knocking kinda sound (its not good for sure). it sounds like its comin from the motor/transmission im not sure. im thinking there could be something wrong with my clutch or worse. in all the gears it does it and still does, although not as bad, when i pull in the clutch. at first i thought it might be a sprocket problem but after picking up the back and manually spinning the tires it made no abnormal sound. if you have any ideas id love to hear em. Thanks

rap169
02-07-2004, 04:00 PM
check your rear axle for play. Mine made a hell of alot of noise like 1 week after i rebult the motor and i was so worried about it. Come to find out the noise wasnt the motor, but the rear axle bearings.

TCracin440ex
02-07-2004, 04:23 PM
its your axle bearings....their shot....go to your local dealer order the 2 bearings and the 2 dust seals..bout 95 dollars

roostin_dale
02-07-2004, 04:59 PM
exactly what they said..happend to me just before i rebuilt it..

TCracin440ex
02-07-2004, 05:03 PM
best thing to do is replace the bearings asap...because if you ride it with the bearings shot its gonna mess up the housing...and that housing is expensive....id rahter replace the bearings all day long compared to bearings and housing...oem housing is like 160.00..

rap169
02-07-2004, 06:01 PM
ya, the time when my bearings went right after my motor work was really odd. I have never had bearings crap out all at once like that before. I check the rear for any play before i go out for long rides. I have been doing that since the first set of bearings ever went in it a long time ago. This time i just got the motor in and checked everyhting out before going on my first long ride with it. It was good on the way out in the trails, then it just crapped out. It ruined the bearing carrier and sproket hub. I ended up putting the stock sproket hub onmy lonestar axle and buying a rad carrier to replace the stock one. I guess i didnt do too bad with the stock carrier form 87' lasting until 2003. And i was only on 4th set of bearings . I heard thtat to be safe to replace them every year, but i always felt that if its not broken dont fix it. Now i may consider a new set every year or so since parts are soo expensive.

TCracin440ex
02-07-2004, 06:04 PM
replacing bearings sucks ***...it comes from ridding in water and mud...them 2 elements just tear them bearings all to hell...best way to keep your bearings good is to take the housing off and put grease in the grease zerk on the housing

mustang93
02-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by rap169
check your rear axle for play. Mine made a hell of alot of noise like 1 week after i rebult the motor and i was so worried about it. Come to find out the noise wasnt the motor, but the rear axle bearings.

same happened to me.

ben41884
02-08-2004, 12:15 PM
hey thanks everyone for the help, im gonna check that out...i actually thought about that but then since i picked the back end up and spun the tires and didnt hear it i figured that wasnt it. but i guess with more of a load it would cause the noise. ill get right on it!

ben41884
02-09-2004, 05:14 PM
alright well its not the bearings, so what about the clutch? i put it in 1st yesterday and pulled in the clutch and tried to push it with the motor killed and i could barely move it without sliding the tires. but as soon as i put it in neutral it rolled smooth. also, when the motors runnin and its in gear with the clutch pulled in it still wants to pull more than usual. so im pretty sure thats what it is but let me know what you think. thanks again

TCracin440ex
02-09-2004, 10:10 PM
ok....this sounds a little odd..but check your sprockets...if your sprocket teeth are wore then its proally the chain slipping off the worn down teeth