View Full Version : 4 yr warrenty

r450rr
02-07-2004, 12:32 PM
didnt anyone purchase the 4 yr warrenty with theres..it seem to only make since in purchasing a warrenty on on new motor an new bike..just my opinion??

trailburner
02-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Depends......it would make sense to me to get it but......how much do they want for it???

r450rr
02-07-2004, 12:35 PM
my dealer said it would be right at 500 for 4 yrs. but that can pay its self off in one malfunction,, plus it goes in with the finacing

trailburner
02-07-2004, 12:38 PM
That doesn't sound that bad.....what all does it cover??

wertz321
02-07-2004, 01:55 PM
I bought one of those waranty's when I purchased my new 250r in 86' and it covered everything but the things that acctually went wrong with it.

86atc250r
02-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Those are my thoughts exactly....

These warranties all sound like a really good deal.

In reality, when time comes for THEM to pay up - good luck. They are masters at wiggling out of covering problems.

Of course there will be people that have had good experiences, but I personally know numerous folks who have been disappointed with the actual coverage they get.

brif
02-07-2004, 02:15 PM
I haven't had good luck with warrenty's. I would save your money. They'll try anything to make you pay up. They only cover manufacturers defects and if you don't have the shop do your service they'll try and cheat you anyhow. My best advice is to save your $500, you'll need when and if you have something go wrong with your machine........

r450rr
02-07-2004, 02:44 PM
actually i stand by my warrenties.. it might be just my dealer. but if you have a extended warrenty you take it down there, and tell them to check it out an usually they will put new bearings and tierods and really check everything, they are real good about that,, in my neck of the woods you really get your moneys worth with the warrenty thats why i ask to see if anyone has purchased one yet.

let me tell you guys this true story that happened about a month ago.(and the main reason why i stand behind the warrenty thing. me and my friend went and talked to one of the guys at our honda dealer. the guy was behind the counter and my friend explain a problem that he had with his rincon, he was thinking the torque convertor wasnt working properly.. he explain and he told this guy behind the counter that it wont pull him up hills. my friend had the extended warrenty,, and the guy behind the counter ask him ,,, do u have the extended warrenty and he replied yea.. and the guy behind the counter told him to come a little closer and he whispered into my friends ear to blow it up.. he said put it in first and run it wide open and blow it up an bring it back.. and we will fix it.. well my friend said really and the guy behind the counter said no not really but just bring it back and well will see what we can do.. well my friend brought it back and it turned out that there was a pinched seal in the motor, and was loosing compression... they fixed it no problem,., come to find out the guy behind the counter was the manager of the shop..

and also. when he took it back they put in new bearings and tierods. and checked a bunch of stuff.. they had a parts list of how much it would have costs and beleive me, that paid the warrenty off in that one trip..
so thats why i ask why people dont get the warrenties especially with a new quad..i know i will
.really this is a true story..

86atc250r
02-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a losing proposition for them. Extended warranty companies are not in the business of losing money.

If you can truly get that kind of "warranty" service then it's a no-brainer.

The reality is, most extended warranty owners don't get actual warranty items fixed, yet alone normal wear items like bearings - or get items like tie-rods replaced "just because"....

It's not wise to base your whole view on extended warranties on the experience of one friend, with one shop, on one claim. If exteneded warranties worked like this for everyone, every time - they would either be ALOT more expensive, or no one would be offering them.

gncc571
02-07-2004, 03:00 PM
I got it with mine,the salesman told me if anything goes wrong to bring it back and they would take care of it.
I"ve been dealing with them for years and they are real good at taking care of stuff like that.

r450rr
02-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Sounds like a losing proposition for them.

If you can truly get that kind of "warranty" service then it's a no-brainer.

The reality is, most extended warranty owners don't get actual warranty items fixed, yet alone normal wear items like bearings - or get items like tie-rods replaced "just because"....

It's not wise to base your whole view on extended warranties on the experience of one friend, with one shop, on one claim. If exteneded warranties worked like this for everyone, every time - they would either be ALOT more expensive, or no one would be offering them.

ok i am not basing it on one experience thats just one example.. i am just askin does anyone else get good warrenties by there dealers..

i forgot to mention they also replaced a broken shoke on that rincon,, i am not trying to be a smart ***** i am just saying that its worth the money, and i was just wandering if anyone else feels the same way and gets the same respect from there dealers..

wertz321
02-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by gncc571
I got it with mine,the salesman told me if anything goes wrong to bring it back and they would take care of it.
I"ve been dealing with them for years and they are real good at taking care of stuff like that.

Thats exactly what the salesman told me, until I took it back to get it fixed then it was another story.I know some people might make out on it depending on your dealer but in general you wont get what you paid for.

nastynotchback1
02-07-2004, 04:05 PM
read my sig.mine has been back 6 times since i got it in jan 03 and warranty has covered it everytime.it has always been tranny problems.my dealer installed the piston hotcam and suggested all the other thing and he knows i race local mx events.they fix it everytime no ? asked.the warranty is only as good as your dealer.i can assure you i have got well over 3 grand in work for free.

2004TRX450R
02-07-2004, 06:21 PM
It is totally true that it is only as good as your dealer. Being I work for a dealer and I get parts at cost + 10% and do all my labor myself I didn't want it. After all I bought a Honda they don't brake!:devil: :devil: For someone who can't do their own work it may be a good thing but not for me. I'll save my $500 and take my chances. Besides when you work for the dealer it is a lot easier to get normal warranty stuff done and when you know the district service guy from Honda it is a lot easier to get parts good willed after the warranty is up!:devil:

nastynotchback1
02-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
It is totally true that it is only as good as your dealer. Being I work for a dealer and I get parts at cost + 10% and do all my labor myself I didn't want it. After all I bought a Honda they don't brake!:devil: :devil: For someone who can't do their own work it may be a good thing but not for me. I'll save my $500 and take my chances. Besides when you work for the dealer it is a lot easier to get normal warranty stuff done and when you know the district service guy from Honda it is a lot easier to get parts good willed after the warranty is up!:devil:

in your case i would have done the same.i can do my own work but i figured 500 for 4 yrs was a good idea that would keep me from having to do the work and the fact that i know the people at the dealership so well played into the mix.i knew before hand that i would get great warranty service.

Fred55
02-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Just my reg 6 month warrenty has already paid for new rings, new airbox, new plastic front and rear and a new frame! the frame was also 2 months past the 6 month mark!

brif
02-08-2004, 10:06 AM
I had a 2001 400ex and took it to a local honda dealer to be repaired. Granted this wasn't my usual dealer. They said they could get it back to me sooner than my regular dealer(it was 2 weeks before the ice racing season started) so I let them try it. A week later they called me and said the warrenty wouldn't cover it. I wasn't too upset I sucked some mud into the motor and since it was still under warrenty it was worth a shot. I got the bike back way late. Like 3 months later, I was furious the season was over! Well I didn't get to ride the quad but a couple times until spring. Well it still smoked so I took it back to them. They first told me I was a crook for trying to get it covered under warrenty and said I was trying to cheap them out on parts. They said they wouldn't stand behind their work they said the motor sucked too much water. They said the problem must have been something unrelated to what they did. Well I was screwed so I took it to a general atv repair shop. It turns out the lower part of the cylinder wasn't honed correctly and this chewed up my new rings. They srewed up and I had to pay twice to get my quad repaired! This is why I hate taking my atv to a dealer for anything. Sure they all aren't this bad but when you get burned this bad once you'll likely not want to go back. By the way this same dealer has a 450r for less($400) than my regular dealer and could get it faster needless to say they won't be selling me or anyone I know anything ever again.

Andy479
02-08-2004, 09:07 PM
i just got my 450R Sat. I had no intensions on getting any warranty, extra costs, etc. The salesman talked me into it. Its a extra $10 a month aded to your payment/financing. You can take it to ANY honda dealer for repairs, not just the one you bought it from. It covers any bearings, bushings, motor, tranny, carb, shocks, chassis, etc. Being a first year released quad, didnt think it was a bad deal at all.

r450rr
02-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Andy479
i just got my 450R Sat. I had no intensions on getting any warranty, extra costs, etc. The salesman talked me into it. Its a extra $10 a month aded to your payment/financing. You can take it to ANY honda dealer for repairs, not just the one you bought it from. It covers any bearings, bushings, motor, tranny, carb, shocks, chassis, etc. Being a first year released quad, didnt think it was a bad deal at all.

same here,, its worth it to me,., but i have to say this ,, its what someone else stated when this thread was first started,, it all depends on the dealer. and i am for the 4yr warrenty all the way,, just because my dealer has a good rep for it and for me IMO its worth it..

coty