PDA

View Full Version : new quad for my kids

Howard
02-07-2004, 07:30 AM
anyone know good/bad info on these Suzuki LT 80's? i bought a 91 model that looks to be in super nice shape. i paid 850 for it witch i thought was kinda high but after i started to look around at prices i guess i didn't do to bad. the front fender had a small break at the boom so i made a nice smooth cut on it and made the other side to match and it don't look bad. I wanted to make it a lil wider but a kit i saw on ebay was like 45$ for front and then 45$ for the rear. hell with that. i took the rear wheels off and swapped sides and turned them "inside out" to put less backspacing on it. that made them stick out a good lil bit, the front was a lil more wor. since it has dual front brakes in front if you just flip te tires on the front the valve stem hits, so my buddy and i puled the tire off. cut the valve stem off, drilled another hole for a valve stem on the other side of the wheel. had the tires broke down and then on the original hole we put a valve stem in backwards just to plug the hole, then in the hole we made we added another valve the right way. added three flat washers to the studs before we put the tires back on and whala, it's wider. it turned out good and only cost me 5$ to pay the tire guy to break down the tires and do the stems. ill get some pics of it maybe. anyone else have this quad?
sorry for the long story. lol
Howard:D

pitluvr79
02-08-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading my son to a LT-80. He currently rides a 2002 LT-50 but it just isn't cutting it anymore. Way to slow. I read a shootout on the Lt-80 and the Predator 90. It sounded like the Predator was better in every catagory but low end power. It's so hard to find hop up parts for these little quads. I know the LT has been around for a long time and there are a lot more parts out there for them. After reading the article I was really concerned with the Suzuki's suspension, sounds like it's pretty much non existanat. How old are your kids, how much do they weigh? Let me know if they have any complaints with the LT. I would rather just go with something more proven. The Predator is a little to new.

Howard
02-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Hi, I have two boys. one is 4 and the other is 7. i have to adjust the throttle differently for each one. they have ony been able to ride it once for a good lil ride. the suspension seems plenty fine to me. heck i rode it a few times myself. it has plenty of power, you can buy aftermrket pipes, new reeds and a jet kit and K&N filter deal for these. plenty of upgades available for the lt 80.
the 7 year old weighs about 60lbs or something and the 4 year old weighs about 35lbs.
i think the only complaint i can think o so far is that the lt 80 doesnt have a back up start. there is a kit i think you can buy from Suzuki though for a recoil package to add on to it. im trying to check into that as well.
:D

Syrus
02-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Buying those lil quads are a waste of money, if you child if young enough to ride an lt80, its to early for a kid to ride in my eyes, If you kid is any younger then 10, he/she could have a wipe-out that will scare them off machines for the rest of there life. Once your kid its older then 10, start them off on a lil mini-bike (cheap), and work up from there, make your first quad maybe a Honda 250ex, once they have the skill ! Just my 2 cents !

Howard
02-08-2004, 09:02 PM
i don't agree. but thanks for the info.:D

pitluvr79
02-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Great! I'm glad they enjoy it. My sons six and weighs about 45lbs. I've not had any problems with the LT-50 so I think I'm gonna go ahead and stick with Suzuki. My only concern was the suspension.I'd rather go with a regular persons opinion than a magazine's. I was looking in Dennis Kirks catalog and DG even makes the Vpro bumper for the LT-80. Now I just need to get rid of the 50!

Howard
02-08-2004, 09:10 PM
yeah they have DG bumpers, fmf pipes, Cobra pipes, they have dg nerf bars and more. some good stuff. one more thing, the lt80's don't have a light, but for like 65$ you can buy a whle new hood for the front that has a light in it from meir (SP) plastic. they have parts on ebay as well look on there, they ahve a few 80's for sale too.
send me an e-mail about the 50. what ya want and all that maybe a picture or two.
Howard
:D
hgoody77@bellsouth.net

QuadJunkies
02-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Howard
i don't agree. but thanks for the info.:D me either.......:o I think the younger the better....... BUT.... some kids arent ready that are smaller, My kids started out at 5 and 7 and really, the 5 yr old could have waited another year, he didnt catch on as fast as my 7 yr old Daughter did:D ...Now he is almost 7 and rides good!! ITs all about disipline and a parent willing to take the time to teach them to ride and not let the quad become the babysitter.......;)

mikeman828
02-09-2004, 05:19 AM
I agree with Howard and Quad Junkies, kids are never too young to start riding.

As long as parents spend the time to familiarize the kid, it shouldn't be a big deal at all. You start them off slow, with the throttle limiter and flat dirt area or lawn. Let'em go and they will learn what to do.

With my boys I sent them out riding, then I would tell them to stop... just to be sure they were able to react quick enough with the brakes. They've done so well, now my oldest has turned into a riding partner....... He's not afraid of very much and he has done extremely well. Anytime I see a tricky section or see him having trouble, I go give him some tips and off he goes!!! Haven't had any accidents because we play it safe!!!

Don't forget the safety gear.... EVERYTIME they ride!!

It shouldn't be a big deal if you supervise and know the limits of your child!!

dirtmomma
02-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Syrus
Buying those lil quads are a waste of money, if you child if young enough to ride an lt80, its to early for a kid to ride in my eyes, If you kid is any younger then 10, he/she could have a wipe-out that will scare them off machines for the rest of there life. Once your kid its older then 10, start them off on a lil mini-bike (cheap), and work up from there, make your first quad maybe a Honda 250ex, once they have the skill ! Just my 2 cents !

:huh :huh ARE YOU SERIOUS???????? Hummmm well MY .02 is that the youngeryou can start them the better riders they are gonna be!! My 5 yr old (just turned Sat. 7th) started riding at the tender age of 3 1/2 :eek: on a Honda ATC70, he had a couple wipe outs but got right back on!! Sounds like the kids your talkin about are sissy's!!! Anyway he rode our LT80 for a bit but it is hopped up & had too much power for him so last Christmas we got him a LEM Condor 50 & HE LOVES IT!!! He did have a bad wipe out on the track w/ it but HE GOT BACK ON IT!!! :D :D It's just like riding a horse, you fall off you get back on. I think the kids that DON'T it's thier PARENTS that get all freaked out!!! Well I better get off my soapbox now & BTW Howard you got an AWESOME deal on the LT they usually go for around 1300-1500, as for the back up starter yeah it sucks they don't have a pull also some of them do, our starter is out on ours now :( but I think we are finally gonna fix it cuz we have a couple people that wanna buy it/ Good luck w/ it & ifyou get the pull start let us know how easy it was to install!!!
Thanks;)

Maxx_Action
02-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Syrus

Man...

My 8 yr old (who was then 7) clipped a pot at full speed on his pred 90 and bent the hell out of the tie-rod. I brushed him off, wiped to blood off his lip, and took his quad to the garage. Within 5 minutes he was bustin on me cause I wasn't fixin it fast enough. I disagree completely with your assertions...

Maxx

phatlt250r
02-25-2004, 10:18 AM
I have to agree with everyone else. The younger the better disapline there is for the machine. I started my kid out at the age of 2 years on a TZ60. I know that is young but I spent alot of time.Every time that kid was on his atc I was there showing him how to lean stop and go. I had his complete attention on the skills being tought. I will be posting some pics of my son at the age of 4 through 8. At the age of 2 he was surfing his atc, and doing very minumal tricks at low speed. He is 8 years old now and every where we go the adult riders are amazed at his riding skills. He now has an LT80 which we are in the process of beefing up for him.
I have to agree with Howard and Quad Junkies, kids are never too young to start riding.
The true key is to take the time to teach the young riders the true skill and fun of the sport.
Here are some pic's of my son:
http://mysite.verizon.net/4littleflowers/FrontSheet.htm
Will be posting more pics soon.

QuadJunkies
02-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by phatlt250r
I have to agree with everyone else. The younger the better disapline there is for the machine. I started my kid out at the age of 2 years on a TZ60. I know that is young but I spent alot of time.Every time that kid was on his atc I was there showing him how to lean stop and go. I had his complete attention on the skills being tought. I will be posting some pics of my son at the age of 4 through 8. At the age of 2 he was surfing his atc, and doing very minumal tricks at low speed. He is 8 years old now and every where we go the adult riders are amazed at his riding skills. He now has an LT80 which we are in the process of beefing up for him.
I have to agree with Howard and Quad Junkies, kids are never too young to start riding.
The true key is to take the time to teach the young riders the true skill and fun of the sport.
Here are some pic's of my son:
http://mysite.verizon.net/4littleflowers/FrontSheet.htm
Will be posting more pics soon. Nice pics!!!:eek2: I like the Before and after one:macho