PDA

View Full Version : Best pipe for Stock 400ex

kaneman23
02-26-2002, 09:36 PM
I also broke my the cap bolts on my stock exhaust while trying to clean the spark arrester last weekend. I plan to leave my motor stock until I need a rebuild. I know there was a pipe shootout a while back my someone but I don't know where to find them. Anyhow, I am in the market for a pipe and have been considering them all but have narrowed it down between the WB, Yoshi, and Curtis Sparks. I mainly do trail riding and have a balance of fire roads and hill climbs. I want a pipe that improves my lowend torque as well as the mid and high range. I have rode a 400 that had an FMF pipe and it felt like it had no lowend torque compared to my stock system. I do not want to lose torque!! I know many people have researched pipes and I was hoping someone could recommend what would be the best for me. Thankyou,
Justin

tprender
02-27-2002, 06:55 AM
If you go to atvnews.com and look arounf. I think in tech, but not sure. They have a shoot out with dyno's of some different pipes for the 400. Also, Dirt wheels last year did one also. Both places had the #1 pipe being the Sparks T4 for a stock engine. The White Brothers came in 2nd. I had a Sparks for awhile on my 400 when it was stock and it was great. Had power everywere. I had to get rid of it because it was to loud. A friend let me try a WB e-series s/a with the disc on the out side. It had almost the same power as the Sparks but it was not as loud. I then got a good deal on a complete Big Gun and di not like it at all, sold it also. when back and bought the WB e-series and run the stock head pipe that has been clean up. I have 2 friend that have Raptors and I can run with them in the open and leave them in the woods.

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 08:12 AM
I have a brand new Yoshi full system that I might be selling. Im sending my motor to Trinity to put the 465 Stroker in it and Im thinking about having them put the Trinity pipe on it too. If your interested keep in touch and I will let you know
Thanks

kaneman23
02-27-2002, 08:41 AM
Yeah I am interested. How much are you going to ask for it?

Justin

kaneman23
02-27-2002, 08:42 AM
by the way my email address is kaneman23@aol.com

kaneman23
02-27-2002, 09:57 AM
O.K. I have narrowed it between the Sparks and WB E-series. Anyone have a preference between the two that may make a difference in my decision?

Thanks,
Justin

Wheelie
02-27-2002, 12:28 PM
The White Bros. is more tunable, and not as loud as the Sparks system. The power output of these two system is very close, if noise is a concern go with the WB.

02-27-2002, 12:39 PM
Well I just got off the phone with a cetain individual with a certain company,,,that just did a pipe shootout with all the new latest greatest pipes in it,,beside engine builder pipes which are mainly for built motors,,but anywho,,he stated the new biggun,,it's the old big gun pipes with updates,,,was the best of all,,over FMF, WB, Bills, Yoshi,,,etc. The looks, quality of work, and dyno test showed the big gun first and yoshi/wb in second,,,I'll be goin with the new big gun really soon myself,,just thougt I'd let ya'll in on a secret.

This respectable person also stated that they will be removing there old complete Yoshi system and goin with a full biggun series..

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 12:44 PM
Its about time Big Gun done something. Hate to say it but there old pipes SUCK. They have little bitty headpipes and mine rusted all to he!! It was a "stainless" pipe yet mine rusted from the headpipe all the way to the silencer!! I put on the Yoshi and it made a **** of a difference. Is this new Big Gun available yet??

02-27-2002, 12:54 PM
Well I'll be keeping the powerbong on and hopefully the Biggun silencer will fit....I'll know soon I'm waiting on an email from that certain person mentioned above.

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 01:12 PM
Come on Ree-Ko, you can tell us who it is!!!:)

02-27-2002, 01:20 PM
Can't mention names I don't know if he wants me to spill the beans or not,,but he helps alot of people on the site..;)

02-27-2002, 01:34 PM
i am betting this secret guy is terry marcum of marcums atv. they said they would be doing a pipe shoot out soon and we all know he helps site.......am i right

kaneman23
02-27-2002, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I would be scared to buy a Big Gun besides from Big Gun directly. I am sure there are warehouses still stocked with the old pipes. It would suck to think your getting the new gun and end up with one of the old ones.

02-27-2002, 01:50 PM
well I can tell you this,,,I can bet the pig farm if ya ordered it from Terry he's either gonna tell ya,,he's got the older ones or the new ones..I think the new ones are gonna be a little more expensive,,but he said there's no rivets,,the finish and materials are better,,he really said they've got their act together and plan on taking care of us 4 stroke bike guys. He also had good things too say about HMF pipes too,,,major complaint he had was the actual products materials and how it was put together,,rivets vs. stainless screws etc. He'll have the full update soon on the pipe shootout.

It was done on stock 400ex's and 440's...so it should be a good article for all you power hungery,,which pipe to get,,guys out there. So be patiant,,wait for the update on his page and then base your decisions on true dyno's and seat of the pants testing by a quad rider and engine builder. Not some BS test done in a mag with improper jetting.

kaneman23
02-27-2002, 02:16 PM
O.K. I just called up Marcums and spoke with a salesman there. He talked me into getting the E series slipon because the head pipe wouldn't do much good unless I had any headwork done. I also ordered a 165 main jet and kn filter with outerwear. Is this a good combo? I hope so because I just bought it...

Thanks,
Justin

ny300exrider
02-27-2002, 03:01 PM
hey , I will be buying a used 300ex pretty soon and after a while i will add some pipes. I like the supertrapp IDS-2 quiet and the WB-e series slip on . When you install your pipes, please tell me how is the power and is it really that loud because I dont want it too loud. I heard one on a mojave that was pretty nice but It probably sounds alittle different on an ex. I know you have a 400 but it is still a honda:) Thanks alot...and if anybody has the IDS-2 how do you like it and is the wb really that better.
Thanks alot...good luck with your pipes

kaneman23
02-27-2002, 03:29 PM
I will definately let you know the results. The pipe and everything should be here by Friday or Saturday. I hope to get them installed and ride on Sunday. I will let you know...

Later,
Justin

ny300exrider
02-27-2002, 05:00 PM
Thanks alot justin:D

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 09:28 AM
Whos the man! TERRY TERRY TERRY!!!