PDA

View Full Version : atc250r:PLEASE READ

08-20-2001, 06:41 AM
I have been involved in the sport sinse 84.I have owned the following machines,84TRX200,Quadsport230,Quadracer250,86ATC2 50R(my fav) and now a 400ex.I am VERY happy with my 400 and was full of ***** about the raptor, but that does not change my brake situation.I did an experiment on saturday,when riding I did not use my rear brake all day and my pads were half gone!Now is that just complaining?Sounds like a problem to me.Of all the machines I owned in the past brake pads would last for months not hours!Where I come from 25 bucks a ride (for pads alone not including fuel for truck and quad) is not inexpensive it is very expensive.That's $100-$150 a month I could use to make my 400 go faster, but for me I have to spend it to just have rear brakes!!!!!!!!
I hate you think I am a complainer,if I am it does not seem I'm alone from what I see on this site about the rear brakes.

08-20-2001, 07:26 AM
Hey guy,
I replaced my pads on my atc 250r with some Vesrah metallic.
Seemed like they are tough enough, might want to invest in
these.

MOFO
08-20-2001, 09:16 AM
Hey Blade,

I've told you this before...you have problems with your brakes....that is NOT NORMAL WEAR FOR A 400EX. I get about 6-7 good solid rides out of my pads (about 40-50 hours of ride time) and I ride in just about every type of terrain (alot of mud). And we ride hard....not putt'in around. Have you pulled your caliper apart yet??? Is your rotor bent??? Before you take the time to post another question, please check these items. But like I have said before...if you go through a set of pads in 5 hours, SOMETHING IS WRONG.

Eric

fourwhls
08-20-2001, 10:23 AM
That is not normal. You need to look into it a little more. Is your rear brake hanging up. I have to take my rear brake lever off and clean it every once in a while. If I don't the brake will stay engaged without my help. I clean the post on the brake lever and the hole in the frame where it rides.

Leo
08-20-2001, 05:29 PM
1) back off and/or remove the parking brake
2) pull the brake pedal off and clean / lube the pivot

Leo

skemp
08-21-2001, 12:57 AM
Something 'ought to be wrong there. Take apart the whole caliper and clean it, inspect it for damage, and possibly buy a rotor/disk guard that some plastic companies sell. This will help by keeping a lot of crap off the rotor/pad/caliper. I have seen enclosed caliper guards, so that might be the way to go.

4punksdad
08-21-2001, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Blayde24
I have been involved in the sport sinse 84.I have owned the following machines,84TRX200,Quadsport230,Quadracer250,86ATC2 50R(my fav) and now a 400ex.I am VERY happy with my 400 and was full of ***** about the raptor, but that does not change my brake situation.I did an experiment on saturday,when riding I did not use my rear brake all day and my pads were half gone!Now is that just complaining?Sounds like a problem to me.Of all the machines I owned in the past brake pads would last for months not hours!Where I come from 25 bucks a ride (for pads alone not including fuel for truck and quad) is not inexpensive it is very expensive.That's $100-$150 a month I could use to make my 400 go faster, but for me I have to spend it to just have rear brakes!!!!!!!!
I hate you think I am a complainer,if I am it does not seem I'm alone from what I see on this site about the rear brakes.

my 400EX used the 1st set of pads in about 8 months. I replaced them with EBC pads which didn't last long at all.........less than one month. I replaced those with the stock honda pads (same price) and I am once again getting good service. My parking brake has been adjusted WAY loose to prevent it from causing premature wear.