PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning

LazeR
02-06-2004, 10:19 PM
My engine is getting a lil dirty.......After i ride in the mud i wash off all i can and use a brush to get the rest......But what about all those hard to reach places? IS there anything that can break down the mud and grime and get it to rinse off ?

cheetah
02-07-2004, 09:11 AM
I always take a bottle of cleaner like greased lightning and spray in all those areas after each ride. The best way to keep it clean is not to let it build up. So I just spray it with cleaner then hose it off. Motor looks great.

02-07-2004, 10:28 AM
engine cleaner & brush then pressure washer...you should clean it after every ride b/c when mud sits it makes it hard to get all the way off. ;)

400exrider555
02-07-2004, 11:27 AM
power washer?

trailburner
02-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
engine cleaner & brush then pressure washer...you should clean it after every ride b/c when mud sits it makes it hard to get all the way off. ;)
Very true!!!! try simple green,works pretty good for me.

LazeR
02-07-2004, 09:41 PM
I do was it after every ride but I just use soap and water and it doesn't always get everything off so i was wondering if there was anything to get the stuff off that is kind of baked on there from riding in the mud and having it kind of bake on the engine ?

Also i have a pressure washer its liek 2200psi but i have been told not to use it on the engine because it can shoot a stream so fine it will screw up the gaskets and stuff ? Or is this not true ? what are the pros and cons ?

Scott-300ex
02-08-2004, 12:23 PM
try a toothbrush to get in those tight areas;) :p

LazeR
02-09-2004, 01:57 AM
Anyone ever use a pressure washer ? I have heard it's not good to? What can happen ? thanx

shamisc
02-09-2004, 03:13 AM
I always use my pressure washer! I bought my quad used from a guy who rode it in red mud, therefore it had a red stain on the cylinder and case halfs. Nothing would touch it. Then my uncle who owns a big truckwash gave me some aluminum acid that he use's to do tanks and wheels and it worked like magic!! I was amazed how clean it was!! You should be able to find some in your area. It's called aluminum acid or aluminum brightener. Just make sure you dilute it according to the directions on the bottle b/c it will turn aluminum white. Spray it on, let it sit about 2-5 minutes, and pressure wash off. You may have to do it a couple of times to get it perfectly clean but it will work! Just be careful pressure washing around the gasket areas. Keep the wand moving and try not to hit the gasket areas at all. Let me know how it turns out.;)

Aceman
02-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Pressure washers work great but you have to be careful. They will blow right by the seal around the shifters, etc. if they are aimed just right and you will get water in your engine. That and if your not careful you will remove paint from your frame if you hold the wand to close.

Scott-300ex
02-21-2004, 09:03 PM
yeah, preassure washers are dangerous, i've heard quite a few cases where they blow out and let water into the axle bearings and carrier, so that needs to be redone, also, it lets water into the upper and lower control arms which is no good since those don't have grease fittings