PDA

View Full Version : First real ride.

oldsandman
02-06-2004, 09:41 PM
First impressions of the new R:
This is my opinion nothing more or less, yours may vary or differ from mine. As some of you know I am 43 years old have been riding quads for 20 years. I have owned a trx250r since new in ’86. I am in reasonably good shape for an old goat but I would now call myself a “recreational” sport rider.

When I picked up the new “R” is was a little under whelmed. The thing just didn’t really do much for me. The look was okay but I just expected something more. Sure the package was nice the motor looked good and it does look well built. I just thought it would be like 1986 again and just blow me away. Anyway I took it home where it sat for two days before I decided to order a few parts. I honestly was thinking of re-selling it before I did anything to it. Well the parts started showing up and I replaced the stock bars with low bend Tag t2 pro tapers. Put on some Roll pegs a Mugura hyd. Clutch, 13 tooth front sprocket and finally the HRC kit. I spent some time adjusting the suspension and changed my anti freeze to engine ice. So basically what I have now is a mildly modded 450r.

I took it out today for it’s first real test ride. I rode on dirt, gravel and grass. Ok this thing is really easy to kick over! A big negative for me was the kicker. I have broken my right ankle 3 time’s twice I’ve had reconstructive surgery on it. But this motor is so easy to start I can easily kick it over with just a tennis shoe on, no work boots or riding boots a tennis shoe! After starting it settles down to an easy idle. The transmission is so smooth shifting both up and down. It has just enough detent for a positive feel but without notchyness. The 13 tooth front sprocket eliminates the tall first gear feel. The power is very linear feeling it pulls all through the rpm range. The torque curve feels very broad and strong. This chassis really puts the power to good use. Handling is the best from the 400ex but with the power to make easy steering adjustments and weight transfer changes. Unlike the Ex I didn’t find my thumb constantly jammed against the throttle stop. Just pick your line and this thing follows it! Add in some throttle or just shift your weight and it does what you want. The quad feels unbelievably light and is so easy to flick around. The front end comes up with ease using throttle or pulling on the bars but is easily kept planted when needed, just move forward. The 450 feels so incredibly light that you feel a part of it instead of riding on it.

For the rec rider the R will make you a better rider it’s that easy to ride. The motor and handling inspire confidence to push it harder and faster. I ended the day really impressed with the new R! I really didn’t think I would be happy with it but I really am. I can’t wait to play with it on the sand! Anyway that’s just my opinion I could be wrong.

QuadJunkies
02-06-2004, 09:54 PM
I think your report on the new 450r is one of the most UNBIASED reports Ive read yet!! Thanks for the review;) ...Now get Yo butt up here to Idaho this summer and lets go play in the Sandbox...........:cool: :D

oldsandman
02-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks QJ! I'll be there this summer!

Sportrax10
02-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Nice reveiw!!

Was there a really noticable loss of top end when you got the 13t front sprocket? Would you recomend it?

avaloncon2
02-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Opinions are never wrong, thanks for the input. I am still up in the air between the two beasts. Things are starting to dry up around here and my dealer will let some customers test ride them. I am gonna go there today, and hopefully get the priveledge.

walker054
02-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Just picked mine up this morning. Two things that i did not like were first gear and turning radius. Maybe this is because i am used to plus 2 a arms and 18 inch tires on my 440ex. Hard to tell how good it runs with all this snow. Driveway is all ice and the snow in the fields has a frozen crust that i keep heaving to plow through. The skidplate on the swingarm is like an emergency brake in the crusty snow. As soon as the snow melts i will try to compare the 450 with the 440ex and the 1986 250r. The 86 still has stock a arms and swingarm so it should help comparing the two. still waiting to recieve aftermarket parts for 450 then we will see how it really handles.

Hawk III
02-07-2004, 02:16 PM
I finally picked mine up today too (the first time in almost a week i have been able to get away to get it) I have only rhode it for about 5-10 mins. (over 30" of snow sucks :mad: ) the main thing about this bike was as soon as I sat on it...it just felt good, I also sat on the yfz450. (which I think is a great bike btw) the yami, just didn't feel like the r, it did sit lower btw, which is a good thing. but the way you sit on the bike just didn't appeal to me the way the r does. I would have really liked to ride both with good riding conditions, but the weather hosed me on this :\

oldsandman
02-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
Nice reveiw!!

Was there a really noticable loss of top end when you got the 13t front sprocket? Would you recomend it?

For what I do the sprocket change works well. I'm sure I lost top speed but I have no before and after mph.