PDA

View Full Version : Steam comming out of my Radiator overflow... *HELP*

Narly R
02-06-2004, 09:29 PM
It has did it a little bit, but today it did it a lot. LOTS of steam would come out of my over flow. Some fluid too. It was at the dunes so it was getting road pretty hard, but it never did it before, it wasnt low or anything.

Is it the radiator? Do I need a new/bigger one? Any ideas? Thanks.

mustang93
02-07-2004, 07:25 AM
maybe its a blown head gasket, that happened to me on my CR250

Aceman
02-07-2004, 07:34 AM
It's one of 3 things:

1. Your radiator has a bunch of dirt/mud plugging the fins and is overheating your quad.

2. You blew your head gasket. One way to tell if your head gasket is blown is by taking off your radiator cap and looking down inside your radiator for bubbles or foam. You will also notice with a blown head gasket that when you let your quad sit for a while then go to start it white smoke will come out the exhaust.

3. Your water pump is shot and is no longer circulating the coolant.

Hope this helps.

Narly R
02-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks a ton for the info. I will try to clean my radiator, and see if my head gasket is ok. If that doesnt help then I will look into my radiator pump. Thanks!;)

deathman53
02-07-2004, 06:46 PM
check your lines also, all you need is a small hole to have a big leak. I had a blown head gasket, then leaky line and then the hose that goes between the two radiators at the top came off. this was on my atc250r. Iwould suggest replacing the lines, $10 at napa for lines. they even have 90 degree sharp bend lines if you need them(I did for my atc) and couplings. I'm gonna put a temperature gauge o, but can't see paying $85 for a esr one. Maybe napa has a cheaper one.

Narly R
02-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Ok thanks man!

hondafox440
02-08-2004, 01:23 PM
One easy way to check to see if the impeller is still good is open the radiator cap when the bike is running. If it is working, the coolant will be moving around. If it's not working, the coolant won't be moving.

Narly R
02-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Ill trey that. The head gaskets are fine. I drained the coolent out, and put some better in, but when i did not very much came out, but it was full.:huh I am not shure what is rong. I am going to run it agin and see if it does it agin. Thanks for the help guys!:)

airheadedduner
02-08-2004, 10:43 PM
When you remove the coolent drain plug you need to also take off the radiator cap to drain it good. Becarefull though. When you take the radiator cap off it comes shooting out.

Your radiator cap could be bad, I had one that was and it would kick coolent to the overflow before it was even too hot.

Narly R
02-09-2004, 10:41 PM
I did take the cap off when I drained it.... My radiator cap is acually for a Toyota. LOL. It fits, and has worked for a long time. I dunno why it would just stop.....:confused: I can try a stock one and see what happends. I think my impeller might be out on my pump... I have to see though. Thanks for the info guys.