PDA

View Full Version : Proper break in for a 416EX?

JhallettEX
02-26-2002, 08:53 PM
I just got done installing my 416 and XR400 cam. I want to break this in really good. What should I do. Let me know what you guys have done different to insure a proper running machine. Is there anything i should do after a few rides, ie., re-check things, etc. Thanks alot. I will let you all know how she runs next post.

400exRacerX
02-26-2002, 09:07 PM
When you crank it up for the first time let it idle for 5 minutes or so until it warms up, you can hit the throttle alittle no more than 1/4 throttle. When its warmed up shut it down and let it fully cool. I would repeat this about 3 or 4 times. Then take it for a spin for about 5 minutes or so not going above 1/2 throttle, shut it down and let it cool fully down. then take it for another spin going no more than 3/4 throttle until it gets warm, then shut off and let it fully cool off. Keep working the motor in slowly and take a easy on it. I am going to have to break in my new motor next week too, although I am going stock bore so I will noly have to break it in until the rings seat them selves. But I know people have other methods of break in procedures this is the way I do it though. Good luck and have fun with that new 416 of yours.;)

JhallettEX
02-27-2002, 10:12 PM
I know that there are more of you out there, What did you all do?

oynot400
02-28-2002, 06:06 AM
400exRacerX pretty much has it about right. I think it took me nearly a week to break mine in.
Just let it idle for about 5 min or so and let it cool completely down. I let mine sit overnight and do it again in the morning before work or school. Then the next time let it run a little longer, say 10-15 minutes and rev it up slightly. Repeat that a couple of times. Then you should take it for a ride, never getting it above 1/2 throttle. Let it cool down again, after that push the motor a little bit each ride. If you take your time you will have a good strong engine.
Hope this helps.... :)

MOFO
02-28-2002, 07:03 AM
I hope I got to you in time. DO NOT....I repeat....DO NOT LET IT IDLE WITH A NEW CAM!!! When you fire it up, take it for a spin changing the RPM's. Ride it for about 5-10 min the first ride...let it cool down....ride it again for about 20 min....let it cool down...ride it again for maybe 20-30 min...let it cool down...the CAM should be broken in by now and the rings should be set. Like I said before, DO NOT idle for a period of time with a new cam....Also during the break in period, try to stay below 3/4 throttle....

Eric

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 07:40 AM
The best way to do it is fire it up, pin the throttle and dont let off!! Just kidding. VWVR6 is absolutey right. Do what he said. Thats what my mechanic told me to do and thats what I did. Mine runs perfect!! But now I need something bigger!! 500cc

Scott
02-28-2002, 07:44 AM
Chad: Didn't you just get your 416 together like 2 weeks ago?

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Scott
Chad: Didn't you just get your 416 together like 2 weeks ago?
Yeap. I liked the power gain alot but now I need more. Speed is in my blood. Its a disease!! I got my motor crated up and ready to send to somebody but evertime I decide somebody says NO NO NO. First I said Trinity for the 465. NO NO NO. Then Im thinking FST for the 500 and somebody sayd they know somebody with it and they werent impressed with the power or reliabilty. Man just tell me what to do????????? Where do I send er??

Scott
02-28-2002, 08:42 AM
I just responded to you over on the trinity 465 thread that turned into the FST 500EX thread. Moral of the story, you have the luxury of being able to throw money around like it's water. I wish I was that fortunate. FST built several of the class winning machines last year. Feel free to check it out for yourself. One was the fully modded 500+cc wolverine, another was a lightly modded grizz. You're not going to go wrong with FST IMHO. And if you don't like the results, you'll just spend another weeks pay and have it redone. Let's be honest.

Ship it out and don't worry about what people on here say. You're the one riding it, you're the one paying for it.

And no matter how fast you get, someone else is already building something faster, unless your name is John Force.

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Scott
I just responded to you over on the trinity 465 thread that turned into the FST 500EX thread. Moral of the story, you have the luxury of being able to throw money around like it's water. I wish I was that fortunate. FST built several of the class winning machines last year. Feel free to check it out for yourself. One was the fully modded 500+cc wolverine, another was a lightly modded grizz. You're not going to go wrong with FST IMHO. And if you don't like the results, you'll just spend another weeks pay and have it redone. Let's be honest.

Ship it out and don't worry about what people on here say. You're the one riding it, you're the one paying for it.

And no matter how fast you get, someone else is already building something faster, unless your name is John Force.
I also responded to you at my Trinity 465\FST 500 post. Thanks