PDA

View Full Version : No power, cya when i cya

Pappy
02-06-2004, 06:33 PM
after last night/this mornings ice storm i have no power at the homestead:( i left home at 9 am and it went out shortly after that im told. i swung back to work tonight so i could answer pm's and let people know i wont be around this weekend unless they get the juices flowing again.(something about an entire circuit went kablewy:p )

im leaving work to head home to empty my freezers and fridge and hopefully find some dry ice. no heat all day might even have frozen the pipes. when will the BS end:mad:

lata:macho

MOFO
02-06-2004, 06:34 PM
later...and good lucky Kenny... nothing worse than when you loose a freezer full of food due to no power. :mad:

MXcutie
02-06-2004, 06:34 PM
that's what you get Pappy for moving to the stixs

cheetah
02-06-2004, 06:35 PM
finally some quiet time.:p

good luck back at the house.

Guy400
02-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Kenny, now's the time to purchase a generator. I don't have one personally but my parents and uncle do. During the big blackout last summer I lost an entire refriderator full of food and that sucked. My father and my uncle hook their generators to the breaker box when they lose power. The pull the main breaker so it doesn't back feed into the townships power grid and then they power virtually their entire houses off the generator. They've got big enough generators that it will power whole house air, furnace, appliances and enough electric for TV, etc.

fasterz
02-06-2004, 07:12 PM
yea my power was out for 4hrs today, im from pennsylvania though, it was rain here and there was 8ij of snow on the ground, and its been downpouring so hard the past 36hrs, lots of roads are closed from so much flooding

JTRtrx250r
02-06-2004, 07:14 PM
we went thru that a few weeks back, it was only out for a lil less than a day and we werent even prepared for that:o no fire wood or propane:eek2: it was cold,cant imagine what it must be like over there:huh bundle up,give the kids some hot cocoa(benz-torch works in an emergency haha) while you and the woman sip the hard stuff,that'll keep ya warm;) good luck to ya, I know its gotta suck!!:(

cudaman
02-06-2004, 07:21 PM
damn i dont know what to say. im livin in 65-80 degree weather right now. its rains for like two days(inch or two) and back to gorgeous weather. its like that year round. i feel bad for ya guys. almost wish i could swtich places with you, ALMOST!! hahaahh

MOFO
02-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Kenny, now's the time to purchase a generator. I don't have one personally but my parents and uncle do. During the big blackout last summer I lost an entire refriderator full of food and that sucked. My father and my uncle hook their generators to the breaker box when they lose power. The pull the main breaker so it doesn't back feed into the townships power grid and then they power virtually their entire houses off the generator. They've got big enough generators that it will power whole house air, furnace, appliances and enough electric for TV, etc.

This sounds like the EXACT setup my father at their house... when I lived there, it worked flawless....enough to power the fridge, well pumps, furnace...and any other important items. I must say, when I buy a house, I will have a similar setup. Just the money in lost food can make up for the cost of the generator itself.

300exOH
02-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Guy400

Check your insurance policy. Most homeowners policies cover food spoilage. With some policies the deductible does not apply. Most insurance companies give you up to a year to report a claim. Contact your agent if you are unsure.

Hey Pappy, you still have all of those steaks and lobster tails in your freezer don't you?;) ;)

Oops signed as my husband.
Exhotdog

Pappy
02-06-2004, 07:57 PM
im still at work dealing with an issue when i should be heading home to check on my family:mad: and its site related pc issue not work work. some people have all the class of a dead duck these days:o

thanks for all the replies. ill be looking into a generator tomarrow. post some suggestions and applications if ya could. my family is at my brothers and i think he may have internet so i will check tomarrow and get the scoop on the generators.

VIC
02-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
later...and good lucky Kenny... nothing worse than when you loose a freezer full of food due to no power. :mad:

As long as the beer is safe:devil:

Woodsrider
02-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Pappy don't get anything smaller than a 5000 watt unit and get a gen-tran switch box. That way all you gotta do is throw a switch at the breaker box, plug in the generator, and start it up. If you set up the load transfer center properly, you can run all the essential appliances. We just did my freinds house with a 7000pw 11hp Honda powered generator and a six circut load transfer center for under $2000. Powers the whole house and the well. ;)

I have seen Honda powered generators on line for as low as $750 for a 6500pw with a 7hp motor. Just don't buy one with a techumseh engine, the power will be back on before you get the dam thing running.

Good luck with the freezer. And remember dont put dry ice in the freezer unless you want to buy a new one.

400EXrider#91
02-06-2004, 09:53 PM
good luck...right now my computer is being powered by a generator, but the cable is still working thank god we are using the same set-up as guy was talking about. you make a switch on the main breaker then turn the main off start the generator up and turn any breaker off that you don't want any everything has power;)

400exTN
02-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation, please send all your deer meat to me for safe keeping.

P.O. Box I8ITall
Collierville, TN. 38017

Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Good luck hope everything works out.

JD400exrider
02-07-2004, 01:38 AM
I aggree with everyone else on the generator. It would be a wise investment back where your at. I have an inspection company and saw allot of these a few years back when everyone thought the world was coming to an end on Jan 1 2000. (Y2K) We don't loose power very often where I live unless it is a bad storm and even then it is back on in with in a few hours.

The key is setting it up right on your main panel. It won't power the whole house but the items you really need. I saw some nice units with all the converters at one time at Home depot. It has been a while though. I would think you could find some good info on the web. I think you could get set up real nice for $3000

Good Luck kenny

AndrewRRR
02-07-2004, 02:19 AM
That sucks, I've had to deal with losing a freezer full of goodies before (wild game, oh no!).
Definately purchase a generator if you are in an area where this can happen occasionally. We have one that is big enough to power the house. If you have a well this is especially important!
Just make sure to close off the main breaker. Power companies don't like it when you kill their linemen because you were feeding 120V back through the lines that were supposedly dead. :eek:

02-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Just put the meat on the back porch. Doesn't sound like you have a heat wave goin on so it should be fine...:D

lil400exman
02-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Just put the meat on the back porch. Doesn't sound like you have a heat wave goin on so it should be fine...:D
exactly what i was thinkin! put some ice chips in a cooler with the meat in bags!:devil:

lol
02-07-2004, 12:07 PM
oooooo i remember the blackout last summer, oh that was fun, i was in montauk wit some girls i met and all the docks were pitch black :eek2: :D

Pappy
02-07-2004, 12:25 PM
im back for now:eek2:

power company said to expect brief down periods for the next week or so.

we made out pretty good. we took all the deer meat and placed the coolers out back in asnow drift then buried them...so all is good there. we had a feast at daylight HATFIELD style:cool: so all in all other then the inconvience it wasnt too bad for us. it did take me 4 hours to get home from work last night...detour after detour. i think my truck needs webbed feet:huh

i will be looking into the generator to power the majority of the house. im gonna dip into the trx450 fund:( but i gotta prioritize.

thanks for the heads up on the generator systems. ill now have a few more questions to ask when i buy a system:)

dirtmomma
02-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by MOFO

OH YES there is..................................frozen pipes that burst(happened to our pipes in a outbuilding & our motorhome:() when thawed :eek2: :grr: Good luck Pappy heck just put the food in a snow bank :p sounds like it's cold enough back there BUURRRRR!!!

*EDIT* OOPPPSS just seen your post ya did put the food in the snow smart man hehehe