PDA

View Full Version : the yamaha line up, too big?

xr50layke
02-06-2004, 05:02 PM
they have a blaster, warrior, raptor 350, raptor 660 and the YFZ 450. does anybody here think they should cut it down to something like...keep the blaster, the raptor 350, and the YFZ...nobodys going to be buying a 660 anytime soon, nobody likes them anymore. why buy an old warrior when you can buy the sweeter raptor 350? The blaster is a great quad that should stay because its one of the last 2-strokes being made, its light and nimble, and has a 6th gear, its great for trail riders and smaller kids.

wont they be loosing sales? or...will they be gaining sales?

MOFO
02-06-2004, 05:05 PM
I think only Yamaha can answer this question.

If they are making money on all the models, why cut them out. The R&D is already paid for with most of those bikes. If it turns a buck, keep it going... all of that extra money made on older models helps finance new development of newer bikes...such as the YFZ...and we all know that was a success!

lol
02-06-2004, 05:06 PM
wow that raptor 350 is nice but is it racing oriented

2001400ex
02-06-2004, 05:07 PM
I'd like to see them keep the Banshee, I've always had a thing for Banshees, and in the future I would like to get one, I'd like to get one from a dealer new instead of a used one from somebody else.

Ryan
02-06-2004, 05:14 PM
I assume the Banshee and Blaster will longer be there in the 2006 lineup. :(

MOFO
02-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
I assume the Banshee and Blaster will longer be there in the 2006 lineup. :(

Yep, I bet they will be the first to go due to EPA regulations against 2 stroke motors. The banshee will be missed..

xr50layke
02-06-2004, 05:20 PM
i forgot the banshee! ...... I really like the new raptor 350, i mean..iv been wanting a 6-speed+reverse raptor for some time, i guess its just an updated warrior tho, but wow..it looks like a great trail quad.

toby400ex
02-06-2004, 05:44 PM
ITs just the same ol pos warrior with fancy plastic:huh

ultimate2girl
02-06-2004, 05:51 PM
i forgot the banshee! ...... I really like the new raptor 350, i mean..iv been wanting a 6-speed+reverse raptor for some time, i guess its just an updated warrior tho, but wow..it looks like a great trail quad.

i hope you dont want to race it real race bikes DONT HAVE REVERSE !!!!!!!!

lol
02-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ultimate2girl

i hope you dont want to race it reel race bikes DONT HAVE REVERSE !!!!!!!!

yup okay, harlen's Z and Gust's Z's arent race quads ;) nice try though

Guy400
02-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Blaster and Banshee are going the way of the dinosaur and the new Raptor 350 is replacing the Warrior. That leaves the Raptor 350, Raptor 660 and YFZ. The Warrior is one of the highest selling sport ATV's of all time so I see Yamaha's reasoning in keeping that one. The Raptor 660 has been the highest selling sport ATV since its release in 2001 so I see the sense in keeping that one. The YFZ is its new bread-and-butter race quad so that's staying as well. Really, Yamaha has their bases covered with sport quads. If you ask me Honda doesn't give us enough choices. What they do offer are great quads but I'd like to see an electric start rendition of the TRX450R and you can't argue against the big bore sport quads. While they may seem impractical from a racing standpoint they sure do sell a whole hell of a lot of them.

cheetah
02-06-2004, 06:34 PM
At least they're not like Honda. We have to beg them for a new quad then wait for three years to get something. At least Yami has choices.

Out_Sider
02-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
At least they're not like Honda. We have to beg them for a new quad then wait for three years to get something. At least Yami has choices.

very much true! and the raptor 350 is different for a warrior, it is only 375 lbs dry while the warrior was 398 lbs dry

Mr.Offroad
02-06-2004, 10:46 PM
I did some comparisons between the Warrior and the 350 Raptor. The Raptor is shorter, both in overall length and wheelbase, Lighter, different geometry on the front end (sorely needed) and although it's basically a Warrior motor, it uses a completely different carb, and the exhaust is from this century. I say any company that offers a bunch of sport quads is all right by me. The more, the merrier. I'm primarily a Honda lover, but I keep my eyes open, too.

RH1N08d9
02-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Yamaha has almost the perfect line up. I would buy a raptor over any honda (except maybe a nice 250r) on the market. Hondas lineup pre trx450r, was all in the slower quad ranks. I think honda needs to get rid of the 300ex, put reverse on the 400, and add a bigbore sport with 6 speed, and reverse! then they would have a very competetive line up!

cheetah
02-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by RH1N08d9
Yamaha has almost the perfect line up. I would buy a raptor over any honda (except maybe a nice 250r) on the market. Hondas lineup pre trx450r, was all in the slower quad ranks. I think honda needs to get rid of the 300ex, put reverse on the 400, and add a bigbore sport with 6 speed, and reverse! then they would have a very competetive line up!

But you have to remember before the YFZ if you wanted to race, Yamaha didn't have anything competitive to race. The geometry of the EX made it what it was and everyone that raced was gonna mod it anyways. The raptor was a pretty good trail quad and fun to play around on, but how many did you see racing MX or XC? In fact that is primarily what you still see at the tracks today.

xr50layke
02-07-2004, 09:11 AM
so your saying the new raptor 350 is the same engine as the old warrior? that sucks! and for the same price as a 400ex, they should have gave it more stuff :(....i dont like it, id rather have a 400ex.

Rip_Tear
02-07-2004, 11:18 AM
They could build a new 2stroke twin for the Banshee that complies with EPA(?) standards. Bombardier has already built a 2stroke engine that has better fuel emissons(close to 4stroke), efficiency and power then older ones. They are building them for sleds, but the same kind of technologies could be incorporated into a quad.

Besides I don't know why anyone is worrying about the Yamaha line up :P JP

lol
02-07-2004, 11:34 AM
u no, i should stop thinking bout these new quads...... i want a cannondale :p

02-07-2004, 01:04 PM
something tells me that theyre gonna make a lot off the raptor 350, people are gonna probably be buyin them for their kids so they can get their first trip to the E.R. and chit like that. they're already makin a killin off the yfz so why stop coming out with something different? they're doin great with everything

Tommy 17
02-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by N.C REDNECK2433
so they can get their first trip to the E.R. and chit like that.

sry not everyones as stupid as u lie to be;)

02-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
sry not everyones as stupid as u lie to be;) hey, the whole wreck was an accident, i had no where to go except over the big bump nd maybe make, or over the side of a mountain and die

Tommy 17
02-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by N.C REDNECK2433
hey, the whole wreck was an accident, i had no where to go except over the big bump nd maybe make, or over the side of a mountain and die

why didn't u pick the mountain... atleast jerry woulda been happy:o

sam the brave
02-07-2004, 05:51 PM
i looked at the raptor 350 and the only difference in the weight and the tires but i like the old warrior better and of course the price