PDA

View Full Version : Gaskets

Max400
02-06-2004, 04:01 PM
I know that the subject of cams and pistons have been beat to death and with sme good input from here I have settled on a hotcam stag 2 and JE high comp piston. The question I have is about the gaskets something that I didn't think about till I got a price qoute. Can I or should I replace or reuse the stock gasket, or get a cosmetic... What are the pros and cons? I've read some post about using the stock and painting it, what have you all done when putting in a 416 kit? My motor only has between 75 to 100 hrs and it is stock except for a pipe and oil cooler.

Thanks, Max400

cals400ex
02-06-2004, 04:11 PM
some of the gaskets you can use. but, you will want a new headgasket and you will have to get a new base gasket. i just ordered the cosmetic flexsteel gasket kit from C&D when i built my bike. it has worked great and was $40. if you want you can just use one of those 3 layers in a head gasket. you will want to paint it with high temp paint. the paint will help it seal. you will need it to seal better because your only using one layer instead of the 3 layers. the benefit of this is to raise your compression up a bit. however, i just use the cosmetic flexsteel gaskets instead of messing around with ripping one of the 3 layers off and painting it. you also have better chances of blowing a head gasket when only using one layer. however, if the surfaces are perfectly clean it shouldn't leak. good luck

UglyMotha™
02-06-2004, 04:55 PM
stick with oem :o

stupid driver
02-07-2004, 10:23 AM
my 425 blew 3 stock head gaskets after i restudded it. I put a flex steel gasket from C&D, and it hasnt givn me any problems since. Great gasket, gets my vote