PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Fuses

ZSK
02-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Everytime I shut the 300ex off it blows a fuse. Whether I stall it, shut it off with the tether kill, the key, or use the factory slide switch it blows a fuse. It was fine before I installed my gunnar tether. I hooked it up to the directions, hooked it up like a prodesign, and finally to the coil. Really getting frustrated, almost ready to take it to the dealer:mad: For some reason this only happens after it is at normal running temp or higher. It's fine just sitting in the barn.

2004TRX450R
02-06-2004, 08:29 PM
What wires did you hook where? Also unhook it and put it back to stock and see if it still does it. Then you will know for sure if it is the new kill switch you installed or if it is something else.

ZSK
02-06-2004, 08:35 PM
First time it was the black wire with white stripe, coming from the factory slide kill, didn't work so I returned that to stock. Second time was the black wire with yellow stripe on the ignition control module (under right front fenders). Third time (this time) spliced into the coil pulse wire (delivers spark) worked good, but once it gets up to normal temp and above pops fuses.

sparks400
02-06-2004, 11:20 PM
u must have a wire that is messed up in there.

2004TRX450R
02-07-2004, 01:31 AM
Retrun it all to stock. Then hook the black/white wire to the kill switch and ground the other side of the kill switch. That will work and shouldn't blow any fuses.

ZSK
02-07-2004, 11:08 AM
I've already tried that one.

mustang93
02-07-2004, 07:05 PM
so you tried running it off the stock kill switch and its blowing fuses:confused: you probably have or caused other problems

Colby@C&DRacing
02-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by cleanshave300ex
First time it was the black wire with white stripe, coming from the factory slide kill, didn't work so I returned that to stock. Second time was the black wire with yellow stripe on the ignition control module (under right front fenders). Third time (this time) spliced into the coil pulse wire (delivers spark) worked good, but once it gets up to normal temp and above pops fuses.

Question?? when you say coil pulse wire you are not talking about the spark plug wire are you? Just wondering. You need to look at all wires not just the ones you messed with but all of the you have one that is maybe melting and touching the frame, or the pipe.

ZSK
02-08-2004, 12:49 PM
When I said pulse wire, it's not the spark plug wire. Before it goes into the coil. I returned it to stock, and I'm still having the problem, sort of. It now blows the fuse sometime while I'm riding. I'll check over the wiring for bare wires. I don't think snow being on the battery would be the problem but I'll clear that off too. The only thing I've done to the wiring besides what's already stated is that I removed my headlight. The switch stays off and the plug is taped up.

ZSK
02-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Long story short it was a bare wire coming from the headlight/starter cluster on the bar. It'd touch metal and blow the fuse but not ground out the ignition.

My kill is wired up to the coil worked in the barn today. I'll be home in 2 weeks to test it out for sure. Thanks for the help.