PDA

View Full Version : Standard or V NOSE

Silverfox@C&DRacing
02-06-2004, 12:09 PM
I have heard so many different opinions on the v nose vs std enclosed trailers..

So for you that have a v nose does the sidewind cause problems?
Will there be a difference in gas milage (some say yes and most say no)

Please help us make a decision :confused:

Ralph
02-06-2004, 12:18 PM
i would get one of those trailers that arent as tall, they sit just as high as a big truk and come just as long, and hardley ant wind resistance

Dave400ex
02-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Get the standard. More room and you could put cabinets up front.

YLW400
02-06-2004, 12:30 PM
I really do not see how crosswinds will effect the V-nose any differently than it does a regular box trailers....But I would almost guarantee they pull easier due to better aerodynamics.....

cdalejef
02-06-2004, 12:45 PM
We have both and the v-nose pulls better by far and has better gas milage. There is no more side wind pull than with a flat nose trailer! Its also nice having the extra storage up front. We installed cabinets in the V and it saved tons of room.

EvilJester400EX
02-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Homesteader EZ-Hauler V-Nose. You will love that trailer. It's low to the ground for less wind resistance and the V-nose makes it even better. Me and my dad personally have the standard nose. Also with V-nose trailers, you get I think an extra foot and a half of room.

cdalejef
02-06-2004, 01:13 PM
The nose on hours measures 5'. I've seen lots of different angles on the noses from manuf. to manuf.

2001400ex
02-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I have heard so many different opinions on the v nose vs std enclosed trailers..

So for you that have a v nose does the sidewind cause problems?
Will there be a difference in gas milage (some say yes and most say no)

Please help us make a decision :confused:

I have a V-Nose snowmobile trailer, [4 place] and if a tractor trailer comes by you going over the speed limit if you are not expecting it it will toss you right into the shoulder or the next lane.

Yes there is a huge difference in gas-mileage compared to my utility 4 place trailer that I used for one season. The V-Nose is alot lighter. And warmer inside too.

cdalejef
02-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
I have a V-Nose snowmobile trailer, [4 place] and if a tractor trailer comes by you going over the speed limit if you are not expecting it it will toss you right into the shoulder or the next lane.

I've haven't noticed that with ours at all. Its also a snowmobile trailer.

MOFO
02-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex

I think alot of this is what type of truck you use and your hitch setup...

2001400ex
02-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Well, that's true too about the truck. I guess I never thought of that. I'm using a GMC Envoy. I'm sure you guys are using dualies or big pickups. I would still go with the V-Nose over the regular enclosed utility trailer.;)

Silverfox@C&DRacing
02-06-2004, 03:10 PM
I will be pulling it with my avlanche we are looking at a v nose 8x16 we don't want the snowmobile style, we have pulled a 7x14 std nose with ease

Jeff what size are your trailers ?

popo
02-06-2004, 05:11 PM
I will be pulling it with my avlanche we are looking at a v nose 8x16 we don't want the snowmobile style, we have pulled a 7x14 std nose with ease

Jeff what size are your trailers ?

Before you go out a get a new trailer. Hopefully I can shed some light with trailers from bad experience.

1.Review the specs of your vehicle, the allowable max towing weight. The toal allowable gross with truck + trailer.

2.Add the curb weight of the trailer plus truck. If it exceeds the req's than the trailer will be a pain to haul.

My experience. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 1/2 ton. with a 5.9 towing package 3.92 gears.

Dodge stated I could pull a 8,000 LB trailer with no problem.

B.S. can barley haul 3,000 lbs with out reving the hell out of the engine. Forget hills.

Going Chevy duramax once rebates go up.

Your still pulling a wind bucket no matter if it is a vnose or standard. I hade a slope nose, did not help at all.

MOFO
02-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by popo

Going Chevy duramax once rebates go up.

this will defiantly take care of "lack of power" My buddy has a few of them for his business...they are a GREAT motor/drivetrain with the allison.

cdalejef
02-06-2004, 07:06 PM

Jeff what size are your trailers ? 7x24, were selling it to get something in the 26-28 x8.5 range.

What motor is in your Chevy? We pulled hours with rowlrags Chevy 2500 non HD with a 6.0 last year. It pulled it good but gas mileage was awful. :(

Silverfox@C&DRacing
02-06-2004, 07:15 PM
What is bad gas mileage to you?
My Chevy has a 5.3 my normal gas mileage is 13-15
we pulled an anchor with us to texas and got 7-10 it was a 6x12 solid steel enclosed (I will never borrow this trailer again).

JD400exrider
02-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Do they make a gooseneck quad / motor cycle trailer. I know they make the toy haulers in a goosneck / fifth wheel. What about a standard trailer in a goosneck with out all the fridge, toilet beds and all the other. I know for pulling, a gooseneck pulls alot nicer over a bumper pull at least in larger horse trailers and travel trailers.

cdalejef
02-06-2004, 07:28 PM
What is bad gas mileage to you?
My Chevy has a 5.3 my normal gas mileage is 13-15
we pulled an anchor with us to texas and got 7-10 it was a 6x12 solid steel enclosed (I will never borrow this trailer again). It got around 7mpg pulling the trailer we have now.

bmw500hp
02-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
Do they make a gooseneck quad / motor cycle trailer. I know they make the toy haulers in a goosneck / fifth wheel. What about a standard trailer in a goosneck with out all the fridge, toilet beds and all the other. I know for pulling, a gooseneck pulls alot nicer over a bumper pull at least in larger horse trailers and travel trailers.

They sure do John. Homestead, Vintage, Pace all good trailers. If ya wanna go 1st Class, do a Featherlite #4940.

Is your tow vechicle a short or long bed?

JD400exrider
02-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
They sure do John. Homestead, Vintage, Pace all good trailers. If ya wanna go 1st Class, do a Featherlite #4940.

Is your tow vechicle a short or long bed?

Mike the featherlite trailers are very nice. I have been looking at the featherlite gooseneck horse trailers. With daughters and a wife that ride horses it will be a cold day in he!! when i can get a new trailer just for quads. :eek2: So If and when I go with a new horse trailer I will clean out the horse chit move the divider and VA LA I have my quad trailer for those overnight trips with the guys. :D

As far as my tow vehicle 2003 Dodge Cummins Short Bed. I know some of the older goosenecks don't work real well with a short bed. The V nose though works. I see allot of them. Went shortbed because of length. quad cab long bed is like driving a frickin bus.

02-07-2004, 07:53 PM
I have a 28x8.5 with living quarter that weighs in the range of 12,000 completely loaded down. I have a 2500 HD with a 8.1 liter gas motor. it pulls it very well but the gas millage ranges from 6.5 to 8 mph according to hills and traveling speed! i test drove a duramax for a day and hooked on to my trailer and felt it did not pull it near as well as my 8.1 did. However jeff's Ford seemed to handle it vvery well on the way to and from Iowa. We did just have one quad in it and it was not hilly at all.

cdalejef
02-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Duramax's are real corked up from the factory, they need a Power programer bad!
My powerstroke has 5 speed, 4:10 gears, 4 bank chip and exhaust.