PDA

View Full Version : 400EX black side panels...

Leo
07-26-2001, 08:34 PM
My riding boots are really tearing up the black side panels...

Any suggestions on good ways to buff them back to a nice shine? I've seen carbon fiber side panels for the 400EX that look decent, but how do they hold up to riding boots?

Leo

RideRed04
07-26-2001, 09:07 PM
Try sanding them out with a fine sandpaper, untill it is just dull. After that, Try mop&glo, or similar product. A cheap good looking alternative would be red maier side panals.

Leo
07-26-2001, 09:15 PM
Red Maier panels would look a bit strange on my EX (it's yellow :))...

I thought about polishing + waxing the side panels, but I'm afraid my boot will just dig them all up again next trip out.. I was thinking about a piece of clear plastic (like the rock guard you can get for your car's rocker panels) but I'm not sure?

Leo

coryatver
07-26-2001, 09:16 PM
Leo-
I can give you a free black side plastic for the right side. I cracked mine so i ordered a new one and they sent me 4. All for the same side! They cost 26 bucks a piece. It might look funny though with one side all shiny and the other scratched up. I think the best thing to prevent it is to get a sticker kit like CEET or other ones that cover up the side. 400ex's are not the only quads that the sides get scratched up, my friends raptor is also.

Leo
07-26-2001, 09:20 PM
The darn boots just tear up the stock panels.. one trip out and mine were toasted. I might have to give the carbon fiber side panels a try I guess. Hopefully someone has already tried them and can let me know how they work with riding boots :D

Leo

RideRed04
07-26-2001, 09:29 PM
No, I saw a yellow 400 with the red side panals on it, it looked sweet! He had a red seat too (converted 2000)

crday98
07-26-2001, 11:29 PM
i think it is time for a graphics kit leo but in due time they will get scratched too,those damn riding boots!

Leo
07-27-2001, 05:23 AM
I thought about a graphics kit also, but won't the vinyl get chewed up as fast or faster than the plastic?

I'll probably just keep riding and not worry about it ;) I like my boots to much to go without them now..

Leo

Razorback
07-27-2001, 08:07 AM
Hey Leo,

I saw something pretty interesting on a 250R a few weeks ago that solves this problem. The guy had got some material that is similar to the gritty material that people put on skateboards or like you might see on the fender of a boat trailer so that you can step on it and not slip. I have no idea what the stuff is called, but I have been wanting to try it for the same reason. That guy had cut a pretty cool design out of it and just stuck it on the plastic.

I wish I had a picture, but it was just a guy I met on a trail. The color was black and the design he cut looked kind of like the wing from the Honda motorcycle logo.

If someone has tried this, or knows what this stuff is called, let us know. I definitely want to try this.

-Scott

300exrider99
07-27-2001, 08:32 AM
The stuff is called griptape they sell it in 18"x12" sheets for 2 or 3 bucks.

Leo
07-27-2001, 08:33 AM
That sounds like a trick setup.. Probably make it easier to grip the bike to! I'll have to stop by the bike shop this afternoon!

Leo

Razorback
07-27-2001, 08:59 AM
Sweet! Thanks 300exrider99 for the name of that stuff.

crday98
07-27-2001, 09:50 AM
leo,make sure you get a fine grit grip tape,if it's too coarse you'll be wearing out them boots and your pants before you know it!:D

Pro400EXC
07-27-2001, 10:31 AM
:cool: What you can do is buy some LBZ,SMP,or SHIFT pants. The baggy ones cover your boots and then it won't dig in the panels soo much. Or I where some Levis Loose fit pants and they also fit over my boots to prevent wearing out the side panels. But if you don't like the Baggy style pants you can call or go to http://www.Factoryeffex.com/gripkits.htm (i think thats right). They sell this trick stuff called grip kits ,but you can get it in black or clear and choose the roughness you want. The dirt bike guys have been using it for years(Charmicheal, and Pastrana are #1)I beleive it cost 20 dollers and it super trick and thick.

So look in your DirtWheels for a Factory Effex advertising and that will give you there number. Then call em' up and ask for there grip kits.

07-27-2001, 06:11 PM
Nice pic Pro 400EXC.
The grip tape, like someone already said, wears the crap out of your boots and pants. I think your best bet would be to get a graphics kit though Leo.

07-27-2001, 07:55 PM
Hey Leo,
That tape is also called "non-skid". You can find it at marine stores, and some hardware stores as well.:huh

Stevo
07-28-2001, 10:32 PM
Mine are also scratched a lot. All my friend's do the same thing though. I guess i'll have to live with it.

If you would put a graphics kit on i would think the stickers would just get chewed up??:confused:

07-29-2001, 08:38 AM
Buy new panels then take that cear tape (its a graphic protecter) Put on it your panels and they dont get sratched. I didnt do that on my panels but i have it on my lower a arms and I have not had any problems.

400exRacerX
08-01-2001, 10:16 AM
the carbon fiber panels look pretty sweet, i wonder how they hold up?:huh

TRFOXX
08-01-2001, 10:14 PM
Anyone know where to get the carbon sheets at? I think ill try them. My black sides are a mess and ive only had my 400ex for 4 months now! Has anyone ever used the carbon sheets for this?

400exRacerX
08-02-2001, 10:07 PM
sheets? its a whole new side panel buddy.

nakomis0
08-03-2001, 04:04 PM
I have been talking to the guy at Feathercarbon.com becuase im purchasing, the carbon gas tank cover and soon the headlight covers (blue carbon fiber..wooo:blah ) And I seen this post so I asked him how it holds up to scratches.
He said '. The sides are cleared with an automotive clear.
> If you scratch them up you can clear them again yourself or send them back
> to me and I will do them again for no charge.'
And also they do laminate items don't have any clue how it looks or if stick good or what, just says it doesn't work well if the thing your laminating flexes.
And I see CarbonFiber 'sheets' on Ebay all the time, again no clue how it looks or sticks.

TRFOXX
08-05-2001, 09:14 PM
Yeah whatever there 400exracerx smart ***. You can get the carbon in sheets not a whole new side panel. Look it up and get some. I did get some and they work pretty good! I ride a 97 RM 250 Throtle Jockey factory race bike and we use those sheets on the forks of our bikes. Yes they do get tore up over time but its takes a lot to tear them up!

"BLAHH"300!!
08-09-2001, 04:04 AM
MY PERSONAL OPINION BUTT......

THINK OF WHAT YOUR SAYING-- YOU WANT SAND PAPPER ON THE SIDE OF YOUR QUAD?? GRIPTAPE IS SOME BAD STUFF MAN. IF YOU EVER GET ON IT WITH SHORTS ON, YOUR KNEE'S ARE HISTORY. I USED TO SKATE AND THATS SOME TACKY STUFF. I'D WAIT IT OUT AND SEE WHAT CAME UP IN THE FUTURE FOR THIS PROBLEM --HEY YOUR QUAD LOOKS RIDIN' :huh :devil

JabberJaw
08-09-2001, 08:18 AM
I think you should get some sheep skin covers for your boots. Maybe wrap a couple of squirrels around the tops of your boots as a sort of cushion.